RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Brown gone

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Brown gone

Postby timdav » Mon May 02, 2011 6:25 pm

The Indians have traded 1b/OF Jordan Brown to the Milwaukee Brewers.

Not sure if it's for a player or cash.
timdav
Draft Prospect

Re: Brown gone

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon May 02, 2011 6:46 pm

Brown needed a change of scenery but this move is tough for him..... he's not going to find many ABs going spare at 1B (Fielder) or the OF corners (Braun & Hart) in Milwaukee.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Mon May 02, 2011 7:40 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Mon May 02, 2011 8:12 pm

it would have to be cash, net zero value for him. He wasnt even on the 40 man so Mil wont have to add I assume. This was about opening up at bats
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:31 pm

Not trying to be an a-hole but Brown's case & Miller's also made me less concerned about bringing White up too soon. Turns out with hindsight that those guys were maybe held back too long. Don't know if it would have mattered but at least they both get a little time in MLB. Not pointing fingers. It's just a shame.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Mon May 02, 2011 11:09 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Not trying to be an a-hole but Brown's case & Miller's also made me less concerned about bringing White up too soon. Turns out with hindsight that those guys were maybe held back too long. Don't know if it would have mattered but at least they both get a little time in MLB. Not pointing fingers. It's just a shame.

Miller was never healthy enough to get his chance, and Brown had one skill. He was a good hitter, no pop, no defense, no walks, he was always over rated. One was an injury case, and the other was a player who didnt have a great skill set
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby artgold » Tue May 03, 2011 12:23 am

I'm glad to see him go to another organization that may give him a chance. I agree he would likely be a fairly marginal big league player, but he should get a chance to either make it or not.

I think he has a bat similar to Frank Catalonotto, which wouldn't be sufficient for a marginal fielding 1st baseman or corner outfielder.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... fr01.shtml
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby hoof32 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:33 am

Being old-school, I compare Jordan Brown to David Segui or [really revealing myself] Danny Cater.

They would calculate their batting average to four places on their way to first.
hoof32
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue May 03, 2011 3:22 am

It's not a bad thing. Doubt there is much for him anywhere but with Weglarz and Johnson reasonably close to coming off the DL, what chance did Brown have? Even now, there is no shortage of superior talent in Cleveland and Columbus.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Tue May 03, 2011 10:37 am

I have thought that JB was a better fit in the NL. He can be an effective pinch hitter and play the occasional 1b/LF. He does not have enough power to be an effective DH and his defensive short comings don't fit AL teams. NL teams use 2-4 pinch hitters regularly. Good Luck Jordan.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:59 am

I've been on the Jordan Brown bandwagon for a longtime. While I am disapppointed that he didn't more of chance here in the majors, I can realize that he didn't seize the chance he got last season. It can also be said that the players did get in trades (& push Jordan back) are performing.

Going to Milwaukee might not be a bad thing, especially if Fielder moves on as a free agent after the season.

Good luck Jordan. I hope you are able to take advantage of the next opportunity that presents itself.

-mt88
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue May 03, 2011 11:38 am

Not a big fan of Jordan Brown myself, like him but he was always limited here. He could be a Duncan type PH for the brew crew.

Curious how much they got for him $25,000-$50,000 ? Maybe less.
This is the 3rd guy (Pino / Nix) they have sold off already but why bring more players into an already deep system.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:26 pm

hoof32 wrote:Being old-school, I compare Jordan Brown to David Segui or [really revealing myself] Danny Cater.

They would calculate their batting average to four places on their way to first.

If Segui lost one of his arms and one of his legs....he'd still be a better defender than Jordan Brown....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Tue May 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Tough to see Jordan go, have always been a big fan of his both professionally and personally. He got stuck behind some incredible outfield depth here and the politics of baseball. He's also an example of just how loaded this organization is at the moment where they have no room for him on the 40-man and have a roster of talent bursting at the seams with ML quality players at Columbus. Good for us, and best of luck to him. I hope he latches on somewhere....likely his best opp comes in the offseason when he is a free agent (assuming he is not rostered by the Brewers).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:43 pm

I'm mildly surprised it wasn't Hodges that was jettisoned. I guess Hodges does hit from the right side of the dish. Have to figure that Hodges and Head are likely casualties when Goedert and Weglarz get back from injury.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Wed May 04, 2011 8:59 am

TonyIPI wrote: He's also an example of just how loaded this organization is at the moment where they have no room for him on the 40-man and have a roster of talent bursting at the seams with ML quality players at Columbus.

Ya think? They're only 21-5. The question is not when they'll lose their first game in May, it's "if".

With the Tribe sitting at 20-8 and their AAA affiliate at 21-5, I'm starting to sense a bit of optimism about this season. And the carping about the incompetent management and cheapskate owner seems to be diminishing somewhat.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Return to Indians Prospect Talk