RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Former Indians in AAA

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Former Indians in AAA

Postby Prosecutor » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:54 pm

I was just looking at the International League stats to see how the Clippers' players were doing against the rest of the league and found some interesting numbers for some former Indians.

Andy Marte .161 BA
Josh Barfield .194 BA
Raffy Belliard .270 BA
Jose Constanza .355 BA
Ryan Drese 6.85 ERA

Constanza is still knocking on the door - hope somebody gives him a shot. Drese and Belliard are trying to resurrect their careers. I had no idea Drese was still in baseball. It seems forever since we traded him for Travis Hafner.

Barfield and Marte are still in their 20s but seem to get worse each year. It's hard to believe now that the Indians were very high on both these guys at one point.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Re: Former Indians in AAA

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:56 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Barfield and Marte are still in their 20s but seem to get worse each year. It's hard to believe now that the Indians were very high on both these guys at one point.

Hard to believe that BA had Marte as a top 20 prospect in all of baseball and listed him as the top prospect in 2 systems in the same year
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Edible14 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:06 pm

Seems that Schafer is blocking Constanza as the next-in-line for CF for the Braves. Wouldn't be surprised to see Schafer up with the team shortly, as they're only carrying 3 OF (not counting Chipper). After that, does anyone know how close Constanza would be to being next-in-line?
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:22 pm

Edible14 wrote:Seems that Schafer is blocking Constanza as the next-in-line for CF for the Braves. Wouldn't be surprised to see Schafer up with the team shortly, as they're only carrying 3 OF (not counting Chipper). After that, does anyone know how close Constanza would be to being next-in-line?

I would guess that he'd be neck-and-neck with Wilkin Ramirez as next-in-line. Neither is on Atlanta's 40-man. Constanza has the advantage of being the much better center fielder, and that's what Atlanta is in dire need of (granted, Schafer would be given the first and longest opportunity to fill that). The real question is how long Atlanta pretends that Nate McLouth is still a major league player. The real problem is that including this season, they still owe him at least $7.75 million.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Edible14 wrote:Seems that Schafer is blocking Constanza as the next-in-line for CF for the Braves. Wouldn't be surprised to see Schafer up with the team shortly, as they're only carrying 3 OF (not counting Chipper). After that, does anyone know how close Constanza would be to being next-in-line?

Eric Hinski can play left/right. But yes the Braves need another OF (they just sent Matt Young down). I think they bring Young or Mather up (Young after 10 days).
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby martyinnewyork » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:35 pm

Constanza certainly deserves a shot to play in the majors, all he has ever done is hit...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:31 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:Constanza certainly deserves a shot to play in the majors, all he has ever done is hit...

+1 Great hitter/OBP, ML glove in CF and a pretty good base stealer too. I think he plays in the majors this year. Might be pretty late but I think he finally get a chance.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Edible14 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:52 am

Braves called up RF Joe Mather (and added him to the 40), another older non-prospect similar to Matt Young. Constanza passed over for another promotion. Several Braves bloggers are advocating for Constanza, though. So he might get his shot soon enough.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:30 am

Edible14 wrote:Braves called up RF Joe Mather (and added him to the 40), another older non-prospect similar to Matt Young. Constanza passed over for another promotion. Several Braves bloggers are advocating for Constanza, though. So he might get his shot soon enough.

Living here in the Atlanta area, I get to see the Braves quite often. The Braves bench doesn't really have someone that I would trust in CF. It is a good thing that Gwinnett is so close they can call up Costanza or Shaeffer in a pinch. They just got off a west coast swing so Mather adds something the bench doesn't really have RH power. Maybe Jose gets a shot this year but I don't see it (until Sept anyway).

Now what sucks is that the 1 week the Clippers come to town and I am On-Call at work so I can't see a game. :bad:
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Sun May 01, 2011 11:19 am

Edible14 wrote:Braves called up RF Joe Mather (and added him to the 40), another older non-prospect similar to Matt Young. Constanza passed over for another promotion. Several Braves bloggers are advocating for Constanza, though. So he might get his shot soon enough.

Constanza is just not viewed well in the scouting community, as a major league player. May get a shot at some point, but probably one of those guys who gets about 200-300 PA over a few years as a backup and fizzles out. Defense actually does not get high grades, which for a player like him is vital. It's what is holding him back. If he were a plus defender, he'd be in the bigs with his speed/defense combo off the bench as a fourth outfielder.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:33 pm

Jose Constanza just randomly crossed my mind today, so I looked to see how he's doing (and obviously he's just as much the afterthought in the Braves system as he was with the Indians)…

He's batting .323 with a .373 obp, but this might be some kind of record -- in 83 games and 319 at-bats, Constanza has 2 doubles, 4 triples and 1 home run -- that's not a typo, I checked multiple sources. He's sporting a .364 slg. pct. to go with that .323 batting avg.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:55 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:Jose Constanza just randomly crossed my mind today, so I looked to see how he's doing (and obviously he's just as much the afterthought in the Braves system as he was with the Indians)…

He's batting .323 with a .373 obp, but this might be some kind of record -- in 83 games and 319 at-bats, Constanza has 2 doubles, 4 triples and 1 home run -- that's not a typo, I checked multiple sources. He's sporting a .364 slg. pct. to go with that .323 batting avg.

A lot of scouts believe he is a career AAA player. A lot of those slap hits and infield hits he gets are outs in bigs. He doesn't walk a lot and is an average at best defender depending on who you talk to, is not a switch-hitter, and lacks any power whatsoever. Gonna be hard for him to break into the bigs. He will eventually, but won't stick around long.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:06 pm

How would you compare Costanza with Zeke Carrera? Same bat but Zeke is better defensively?
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:24 pm

Prosecutor wrote:How would you compare Costanza with Zeke Carrera? Same bat but Zeke is better defensively?

by a landslide. He even has more pop at the plate, which is kinda amazing.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:29 pm

Prosecutor wrote:How would you compare Costanza with Zeke Carrera? Same bat but Zeke is better defensively?

Yeah, Carrera and Constanza are similar hitters though Carrera has a smidge more pop and Constanza the better basestealer. Defensively though it is not even close as Carrera is above average to excellent while Constanza gets poor grades (it is why he is not in bigs).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:52 pm

Congrats to Jose Costanza on first major league hit (RBI in the 8th for the Bravos) :clapping:
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:42 pm

Costanza is now 7-17 with Atlanta. Last night they batted him 9th with the pitcher hitting 8th as an experiment to get lots of speed for the 2-5 hitters (didn't work).
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby smt1192 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:43 pm

daingean wrote:Costanza is now 7-17 with Atlanta. Last night they batted him 9th with the pitcher hitting 8th as an experiment to get lots of speed for the 2-5 hitters (didn't work).

Costanza just hit a homerun against the Mets. Didn't have more than 2 home runs in any minor league season :shok:
smt1192
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:11 pm

Constanza also had a triple and a couple of excellent plays on defense Friday night. Who would have ever guessed that he'd be starting in a MLB outfield ahead of Jason Heyward? He's almost half way to his x-base hit total for their AAA team with only 10% as many at-bats.

I don't think he'll be anything more than a 4th outfielder once this hot streak is over. He might have a possible ceiling of Willy Taveras, but I assume all of us who saw him play in the Tribe system are rooting him on... he was just such a fun player to watch. If he keeps it up, a few people might even figure out what his last name really is.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby smt1192 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:20 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:Constanza also had a triple and a couple of excellent plays on defense Friday night. Who would have ever guessed that he'd be starting in a MLB outfield ahead of Jason Heyward? He's almost half way to his x-base hit total for their AAA team with only 10% as many at-bats.

I don't think he'll be anything more than a 4th outfielder once this hot streak is over. He might have a possible ceiling of Willy Taveras, but I assume all of us who saw him play in the Tribe system are rooting him on... he was just such a fun player to watch. If he keeps it up, a few people might even figure out what his last name really is.

You got me, even the Mets' announcers were getting his name wrong!
smt1192
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:12 pm

smt1192 wrote:You got me, even the Mets' announcers were getting his name wrong!

Don't feel bad... his Braves teammates have taken to calling him George.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:00 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:
smt1192 wrote:You got me, even the Mets' announcers were getting his name wrong!

Don't feel bad... his Braves teammates have taken to calling him George.

I started it with spelling his name wrong. They were talking about him on the radio pre=game on Friday. Leo Mazzone said he was a complimentary piece and the other guys were like what? He did commit an error today. Guy is on fire and when he cools down he could still be a good reserve outfielder in the NL. Way to go Jose.

As far as a Willy comp, Willy was a superior CFer. I mean way better.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Indians Prospect Talk