RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:09 pm

Ok, time to start rolling these official threads out. Let's try to keep all talk with the team to this thread. Separate threads for specific issues/players are welcomed, but the daily banter of the season and the team should be kept here.

Hopefully we get some roster info for the teams by the end of the weekend.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5059
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby Jamooky » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:51 pm

So excitied to see Washington & Lavisky this season.
Jamooky
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:12 pm

Jamooky wrote:So excitied to see Washington & Lavisky this season.


It sure looks like Lavisky will break with the team....not sure on Washington though.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5059
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby TitoFrancona » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:29 pm

I'm personally not big on Washington but Lavisky looks to have enough upside that he could eventually become an elite prospect. Everything is there, all he has to do is put it together.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:54 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
Jamooky wrote:So excitied to see Washington & Lavisky this season.


It sure looks like Lavisky will break with the team....not sure on Washington though.

Washington is still injured, isn't he Tony? I thought it was another 5-6 weeks before he could play in the field. Tough to have our #2 and 3 miss the start of the season. The opportunity to see Bartolone helps make up for Wolters but not a lot to ease the pain of missing Washington. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:07 am

indianinkslinger wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:
Jamooky wrote:So excitied to see Washington & Lavisky this season.


It sure looks like Lavisky will break with the team....not sure on Washington though.

Washington is still injured, isn't he Tony? I thought it was another 5-6 weeks before he could play in the field. Tough to have our #2 and 3 miss the start of the season. The opportunity to see Bartolone helps make up for Wolters but not a lot to ease the pain of missing Washington. :pleasantry:


Washington has been playing in spring games for a week, and in the outfield. Wolters is the one who is out another few weeks.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5059
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby JayAre » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:51 am

Is this where Knapp starts, or does he go straight to Kinston?
JayAre
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:30 am

Knapp should go to Kinston. Apparently he is going to stay in extended just a little bit. He is a little behind the other pitchers because the Indians have been overly cautious with ramping him up. Guess they are still going to monitor his workload this year, so he may not show up in Kinston until later in April or early May.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5059
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:31 am

No official rosters yet....probably on Monday or Tuesday.

That said, hearing some great names so far. Bartlone, Ursehala, and Aguilar will be in Lake Co. That's a nice infield. Two other names are Heere and Reichenbach.

Sterling and Araujo will open in EST.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5059
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:36 pm

No rosters yet, but some confirmed names in Lake County (my early season favorite affiliate):

Anthony Gallas: Lake County
Caros Moncrief: Lake County
Argenis Martinez: Lake County
Tyler Cannon: Lake County
Kyle Blair: Lake County
Cole Cook: Lake County
Brian Heere: Lake County
Jesus Aguilar: Lake County
Nick Bartolone: Lake County
JD Reichenbach: Lake County
Giovanny Urshela: Lake County
Alex Lavisky: Lake County
Alex Monsalve: Lake County
Clayton Ehlert: Lake County
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5059
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:47 am

Here is your Lake County roster:

Kyle Blair (RHP)
Cole Cook (RHP)
Michael Goodnight (RHP)
Tony Dischler (RHP)
JD Reichenbach (LHP)
Clayton Ehlert (RHP)
Nick Sarianides (RHP)
Owen Dew (RHP)
Dale Dickerson (RHP)
Trey Haley (RHP)
Francisco Jimenez (LHP)
Mike Rayl (LHP)
Nate Striz (RHP)
Alex Lavisky (C)
Alex Monsalve (C)
Dwight Childs (C)
Argenis Martinez (INF)
Tyler Cannon (INF)
Kyle Smith (INF)
Jesus Aguilar (1B)
Nick Bartolone (SS)
Giovanny Urshela (3B)
Brian Heere (OF)
Jason Smit (OF)
Anthony Gallas (OF)
Caros Moncrief (OF)

One extra player, which would seem like Childs opens on DL or as reserve like he did last year I believe.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5059
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby Jamooky » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:16 pm

Pumped to see Gallas on the roster!
Jamooky
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Captains 5-man rotation (in order to start season): Goodnight, Rayl, Blair, Cook, Haley. Dischler will also start, though unsure who he piggybacks with yet....could be anyone but Blair really.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5059
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:45 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Captains 5-man rotation (in order to start season): Goodnight, Rayl, Blair, Cook, Haley. Dischler will also start, though unsure who he piggybacks with yet....could be anyone but Blair really.

Tony, do you have any sense that the org sees Dischler as a reliever going forward or will they continue to view him as a starter until he proves that he can't?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1654
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:45 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Captains 5-man rotation (in order to start season): Goodnight, Rayl, Blair, Cook, Haley. Dischler will also start, though unsure who he piggybacks with yet....could be anyone but Blair really.

Tony, do you have any sense that the org sees Dischler as a reliever going forward or will they continue to view him as a starter until he proves that he can't?


I think they are taking the same approach with Dischler as they are with Goodnight and Cook. That they will develop them as starters and see where they go from there. All have the size/stuff to be starters. Me personally, I think all three end up relievers (good ones) down the road.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5059
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby TitoFrancona » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:00 am

As someone else once said, what better name could a closer have than Goodnight? That would be a commentator's dream.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:38 pm

FYI but Cole Cook and Tony Dischler to piggyback.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5059
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:27 am

Haley to MV is the paper move to get the roster to 25.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:15 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:Haley to MV is the paper move to get the roster to 25.


I'd expect they play with the pitching staff like this over the next few weeks. Haley is scheduled to start on Monday, so may see him off MV roster and then another starter put there to and the cycle continues for a little while.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5059
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Captains waste no time getting this party started. Lead 7-0 in 3rd.

Bartolone 2-2, Urshella 2-2 2 RBI, Aguilar 2-2 2 RBI, Lavisky 1-2 2 RBI. Goodnight 2 shutout innings.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5059
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby toledobuck » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:03 am

I saw the Urshela left the game after being hit by a pitch. Cannon replaced him and stayed in the game at 3B. Anything to be concerned about?
toledobuck
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:07 am

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:25 am

toledobuck wrote:I saw the Urshela left the game after being hit by a pitch. Cannon replaced him and stayed in the game at 3B. Anything to be concerned about?


Likely precautionary. 9th inning of a blowout game, no need to keep him in there. He also did not immediately come out of the game as he ran the bases after being hit. Was taken out at bottom half of the inning when Captains took the field to play defense.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5059
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:42 am

Urshela got hit in the back. Should be ok.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5059
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby indiansfan055 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:25 pm

There might not be a more entertaining lineup 3-4-5 than Urshela, Aguilar, and Lavisky in the Indians system.
indiansfan055
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:19 am

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby Jamooky » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:17 pm

Did LC just pitch a no-hitter??
Jamooky
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:30 pm

It sure appears that way... and wouldn't you know it –– Trey Haley manages to allow an earned run without allowing a hit, and then Francisco "The Vulture" Jimenez comes in and improves his professional record to 21-2.
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby Terry » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Yes, the Captains got a no-hitter on the Home Opener. Haley looked ok, Francisco Jimenez pitched 4 pretty strong innings and then Clayton Elhert did 2 effortless innings to get the save. There was some talk that this duplicated Feller's feat, but Feller threw a no-hitter on the opening game of the season, whereas this was the home opener after the team played 4 games on the road. Still quite an accomplishment and congratulations to the Captains!
Terry
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:17 am

Saw my first no-hitter tonight! :yahoo:

By the way, was anyone keeping pitch counts on their scorecard? I lost track on a few at-bats.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby davidkey » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:29 am

Can someone please remind me the status on LeVon Washington. I assume he's in extended spring training. When is he expected to join the Captains?
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:49 pm

Rough start to the year for Dischler..... has given up 3 runs in the first tonight, but actually LOWERED his ERA to 33.75!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby davidkey » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:35 am

davidkey wrote:Can someone please remind me the status on LeVon Washington. I assume he's in extended spring training. When is he expected to join the Captains?



Update on 'he shall be' LeVon.....anyone???? Going once, going twice.........
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:31 pm

davidkey wrote:
davidkey wrote:Can someone please remind me the status on LeVon Washington. I assume he's in extended spring training. When is he expected to join the Captains?



Update on 'he shall be' LeVon.....anyone???? Going once, going twice.........


He is in extended spring training. Working way back from hip surgery and then a knee injury which slowed him this spring.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5059
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby martyinnewyork » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Jason Smit homers, is now 18-36 with 10 K's... hitting over .700 on balls put in play!!!
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby martyinnewyork » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:38 pm

Trey Haley... 2 IP, 1 hit, 3 BB's, 1 HBP, 3 WP - Wild Thing!!!
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:04 pm

Any news on how significant Washington's surgery was? Knew he had something done to it but not sure if it was a scope to clean it up or repair something.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2445
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:06 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Any news on how significant Washington's surgery was? Knew he had something done to it but not sure if it was a scope to clean it up or repair something.


Labrum tear in his hip.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5059
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:16 pm

Another rough outing for Dischler: - 0.2IP, 3H, 5R/ER, 2BB, 0K..... his ERA now sits at 22.50!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:52 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:Trey Haley... 2 IP, 1 hit, 3 BB's, 1 HBP, 3 WP - Wild Thing!!!


I'm thinking he may be hurt. He was "sent to Mahoning Valley" today and Steven Wright was called up from XST.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby bmonnig » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:21 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Another rough outing for Dischler: - 0.2IP, 3H, 5R/ER, 2BB, 0K..... his ERA now sits at 22.50!


on a brighter note from yesterday, both Kyle Blair and Cole Cook have gotten better in each start
bmonnig
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:44 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:59 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:
martyinnewyork wrote:Trey Haley... 2 IP, 1 hit, 3 BB's, 1 HBP, 3 WP - Wild Thing!!!


I'm thinking he may be hurt. He was "sent to Mahoning Valley" today and Steven Wright was called up from XST.



I have never been a Haley backer - though I have always anticipated he would be/get better. as of right now after 2+ yrs in the post HS Cleveland Indian baseball academy he stinks.... Barring a complete turnaround I think this might be as good as it gets. At this point, might as well hand him the ball and tell him throw whatever you like, doubt that would help. He is young so he has some time, but what I consider a complete lack of progression convinces me that Haley is a bust. This is the last season i consider him a prospect (a remote one) unless he shows some consistent even minor improvement. Next season he is roster filler. Perhaps time is all he needs.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:27 pm

criznit2009 wrote:I have never been a Haley backer - though I have always anticipated he would be/get better. as of right now after 2+ yrs in the post HS Cleveland Indian baseball academy he stinks.... Barring a complete turnaround I think this might be as good as it gets. At this point, might as well hand him the ball and tell him throw whatever you like, doubt that would help. He is young so he has some time, but what I consider a complete lack of progression convinces me that Haley is a bust. This is the last season i consider him a prospect (a remote one) unless he shows some consistent even minor improvement. Next season he is roster filler. Perhaps time is all he needs.


I've never been too high on Haley either, but think this is a tad harsh. I would say worst case you move him to a bullpen role. His stuff is great, so shouldn't be a roster filler. His control is bad, but a move to the pen (where I recall some scouts saying he'd fit) could help him harness his stuff better.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby jellis » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:I have never been a Haley backer - though I have always anticipated he would be/get better. as of right now after 2+ yrs in the post HS Cleveland Indian baseball academy he stinks.... Barring a complete turnaround I think this might be as good as it gets. At this point, might as well hand him the ball and tell him throw whatever you like, doubt that would help. He is young so he has some time, but what I consider a complete lack of progression convinces me that Haley is a bust. This is the last season i consider him a prospect (a remote one) unless he shows some consistent even minor improvement. Next season he is roster filler. Perhaps time is all he needs.


I've never been too high on Haley either, but think this is a tad harsh. I would say worst case you move him to a bullpen role. His stuff is great, so shouldn't be a roster filler. His control is bad, but a move to the pen (where I recall some scouts saying he'd fit) could help him harness his stuff better.


How can a guy who has made no progress and has little success, even think of making it to the majors. You can try him in the pen, but he is a total bust right now
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:12 pm

jellis wrote:How can a guy who has made no progress and has little success, even think of making it to the majors. You can try him in the pen, but he is a total bust right now


Way too early to call him a bust. Can't even leagally drink yet. :drinks:
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby jellis » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:22 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:How can a guy who has made no progress and has little success, even think of making it to the majors. You can try him in the pen, but he is a total bust right now


Way too early to call him a bust. Can't even leagally drink yet. :drinks:

3 seasons no progress is a bust, I don't care how raw. He has not elevated at all
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby stoike » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:50 pm

jellis wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:How can a guy who has made no progress and has little success, even think of making it to the majors. You can try him in the pen, but he is a total bust right now


Way too early to call him a bust. Can't even leagally drink yet. :drinks:

3 seasons no progress is a bust, I don't care how raw. He has not elevated at all


I am getting closer to agreeing with you. However, a guy with his natural "stuff" can come on really fast, almost instantly if something finally clicks with him mentally. With Haley, it is all between his ears.
stoike
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:02 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby criznit2009 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:04 pm

stoike wrote:
jellis wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:How can a guy who has made no progress and has little success, even think of making it to the majors. You can try him in the pen, but he is a total bust right now


Way too early to call him a bust. Can't even leagally drink yet. :drinks:

3 seasons no progress is a bust, I don't care how raw. He has not elevated at all


I am getting closer to agreeing with you. However, a guy with his natural "stuff" can come on really fast, almost instantly if something finally clicks with him mentally. With Haley, it is all between his ears.


I think its more than just a mental approach issue at this point. Other than velocity I can think of stat/attribute that convinces me that he is still just a diamond in the rough and not a bust. His control is so bad, a minor improvement could alter his numbers considerably but as of right now any success he has is all bonus. Too many other arms in the system now, he is an afterthought and if he can turn it around would be a huge surprise and even more depth to our deep system. Nothing against Haley by any means its just that he has not lived up to expectations no matter how you want to skew that definition.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:00 pm

jellis wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:How can a guy who has made no progress and has little success, even think of making it to the majors. You can try him in the pen, but he is a total bust right now


Way too early to call him a bust. Can't even leagally drink yet. :drinks:

3 seasons no progress is a bust, I don't care how raw. He has not elevated at all


2 seasons. Unless you're counting one of 2008 or 2011 as a season....pitched 5 times combined. Kid has less than 200 innings.

I'm not a fan of Haley...but calling him a bust already is insane.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:58 pm

Look guys, I know it is hard to believe but Haley is so much better than when he came out of HS, it is hard to believe. He was one of the best HS arms I have seen with a grade school brain. He was a thrower of the worst sort but when he got his act together he was something. I saw him throw a couple of fastballs around 96 with 8+" of pure movement. But he had terrible mechanics. Watched him this spring and he looks more settled but they want him to start so he is trying to throw 4 pitches. As greatly improved as his mechanics are, the consistent arm slot for all 4 is eluding him. There is still hope but I think they will limit him to 2 pitches and make him a reliever if he cannot cut it this year. Take it from someone who has seen all three, as a reliever he will throw harder than Miller or Stowell. With Haley's mentality, I wouldn't want to be in the box against him, especially as a RH batter.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby jellis » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:10 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:How can a guy who has made no progress and has little success, even think of making it to the majors. You can try him in the pen, but he is a total bust right now


Way too early to call him a bust. Can't even leagally drink yet. :drinks:

3 seasons no progress is a bust, I don't care how raw. He has not elevated at all


2 seasons. Unless you're counting one of 2008 or 2011 as a season....pitched 5 times combined. Kid has less than 200 innings.

I'm not a fan of Haley...but calling him a bust already is insane.


sorry 2 full seasons and hasnt even been close to out of A ball, to me thats a bust for high 2nd round pick
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: 2011 Lake County Captains Thread

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:38 am

Let's see:

unbelievable natural raw stuff
"between the ears" issues
may be converted to reliever because he can function better throwing fewer pitch types

Dude, the guy's Ricky Vaughn without the time in the California Penal League. :biggrin:
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Next

Return to Indians Prospect Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron