RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Why isn't Matt McBride at Triple A?

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Why isn't Matt McBride at Triple A?

Postby ironmike » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:49 am

Tony, why isn't Matt McBride at Triple A. He's performed well at every level including Triple A. He's approaching 26 years old how is his attitude?
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Re: Why isn't Matt McBride at Triple A?

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:09 am

Yes, he technically should be in AAA.....but the Indians have a lot of corner outfielders and first basemen in Columbus. Nowhere to play him right now when you have Jordan Brown and Wes Hodges at first base and then Brown, Chad Huffman, and Jerad Head in the outfield corners. As it is, when Travis Buck comes down, Head may end up being deactivated.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:14 am

TonyIPI wrote:Yes, he technically should be in AAA.....but the Indians have a lot of corner outfielders and first basemen in Columbus. Nowhere to play him right now when you have Jordan Brown and Wes Hodges at first base and then Brown, Chad Huffman, and Jerad Head in the outfield corners. As it is, when Travis Buck comes down, Head may end up being deactivated.

I figured it would be be Bell, since Head can also play the IF.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:12 am

Probably the wrong thread for this, but I could see Bell and Huffman getting let go (deactivated) in the not to distant future. i would be surprised if the Indians aren't shopping around a couple of these "depth" players. I could even see Hodges getting sold off or let go. Think who ever is not performing in a month or 2 might be in deep.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Edible14 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:46 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Probably the wrong thread for this, but I could see Bell and Huffman getting let go (deactivated) in the not to distant future. i would be surprised if the Indians aren't shopping around a couple of these "depth" players. I could even see Hodges getting sold off or let go. Think who ever is not performing in a month or 2 might be in deep.

Personal opinion, I think it should go in this order:

Bell, Hodges, Mills, Head, Brown, Huffman, McBride

All of those guys could have limited major league value. Admittedly, I don't know much about Bell but I assume he's not much considering why (lots of injuries)/how (trading for almost nothing) we acquired him. Hodges I think has missed the boat, and his season last year and subsequent removal from the 40 means that he has to start playing out of his mind in order to be a major league option ever again. Mills I think is a proven failure at this point, but the org probably wants to give him one last shot. Head's primary value is that he plays everything, but he's never been considered a prospect and I don't know why that would change now. Huffman, McBride and Brown are all major league depth due to their hitting. Huffman and McBride get extra credit for being righty, which is something the org needs.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Edible14 wrote:I figured it would be be Bell, since Head can also play the IF.

They traded for him as they had no CF depth or a true outfielder who could play all three positions. I guess with Buck in Columbus now it is possible they just deactivate Bell. Probably either him or Head.

But yeah, I expect some minor trades over the course of the season to filter out some of the logjam in COlumbus of guys the org makes decisions on as players that are not in their long term future. Hodges, Head, etc seem likely.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Yeah I hope it's not Head, but understand he is the oldest. Still, the guy hits and has versatility. As said, with Buck down could let Bell go. Hodges bounced back last year but not sure he really has much value anymore. Moving him somehow would free up 1B to get Buck some work there too, which is an idea the Tribe seemed to like in spring training.....

Any word too on Carrera? Dispatch just said "day to day" with the injury.....could nurse it and let Buck start in CF, put Carrera on the 7-day DL...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:35 pm

ironmike wrote:Tony, why isn't Matt McBride at Triple A. He's performed well at every level including Triple A. He's approaching 26 years old how is his attitude?

Tony had a stat up today about how even though we are hitting below 270 as a team our offense is still productive. This team believes on OBP, and McBride's have been pretty bad at each step. I know Art says he tries to show case power at the expense of OBP, but in this system that is not a way to get positive notice
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:06 am

jellis wrote:
ironmike wrote:Tony, why isn't Matt McBride at Triple A. He's performed well at every level including Triple A. He's approaching 26 years old how is his attitude?

Tony had a stat up today about how even though we are hitting below 270 as a team our offense is still productive. This team believes on OBP, and McBride's have been pretty bad at each step. I know Art says he tries to show case power at the expense of OBP, but in this system that is not a way to get positive notice

Discounting his performance at the plate, I think he has already made 5 errors in 10 games at 1B. Even for an organization that has Jordan Brown to compare him to that does not bode well for a future at 1B. When Weglarz and Goedert (and even Mills) get back from the DL, it is hard to see a place for McBride and some others. Imagine how bad it would be on these guys if we had any OFs/1B in AA/A+ that could walk and chew bubblegum at the AAA level.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby danh8 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:28 am

Is any thought, at all, being given to resume McBride playing some at catcher ? I thought it was being considered going into spring training... To me, that could be his ticket onto a major league roster, eventually. He's, to me, a borderline power bat. I question how he will perform when seeing a steady diet of secondary pitches.. Both Goedert and McBride are those Shelly Duncan types that struggle to eventually get over that hump and on to a MLB roster.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:56 am

Hermie13 wrote:Any word too on Carrera? Dispatch just said "day to day" with the injury.....could nurse it and let Buck start in CF, put Carrera on the 7-day DL...

Could be the move we see. He's dinged up a little, but Indians could be very conservative and just shut him down a week and use the spot for Buck.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Return to Indians Prospect Talk