Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Jason Knapp

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Jason Knapp

Postby ClevBuck » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:21 pm

When is his ETA? 2013? Why isn't he in Kinston?

He seemed to have a boatload of potential. Is he smothers Adam Miller?

I know he's still young at only what 20? But IMO his potential is through the roof
ClevBuck
Draft Prospect

Re: Jason Knapp

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:41 pm

He is fine. Is in extended spring training in order to monitor his workload this year since he threw just 28 innings last year. Can only throw somewhere around 80-100 innings this year, so delaying the start to his season. Very restricted this year to build him back up.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:46 pm

ClevBuck wrote:When is his ETA? 2013? Why isn't he in Kinston?

He seemed to have a boatload of potential. Is he smothers Adam Miller?

I know he's still young at only what 20? But IMO his potential is through the roof

You have to realize Miller was a player that was a top prospect in all of baseball. We have not had an arm like that in the system since then. They want to get him use to throwing, build up his arm, and he will move up.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:50 pm

Due to the events/ postings of the last few days, I will try to answer for Tony.

In some previously posted items from Tony, the Tribe is being very cautious with Knapp. Everyone agrees that Jason has a ton of potential and he could be a front of the rotation starter if he puts everything together so I can understand the caution.

The good thing is the Tribe has a number of arms in the system that they need to evaluate and sift through so delaying Jason's start to this season isn't a bad thing, especially when we consider the number of innings he pitched the last 2 years (roughly 100 2 seasons ago and roughly 30 last season). If we don't see Jason pitching by June 15, then I'll be concerned. My guess is Knapp (if pitching) spends most of the year in Kinston as they look to get him up to around 80 IP (my guess, not based on any solid info from a source). Jason might get a cup of coffee with Akron toward the end of the season, but I wouldn't bet on it.

To answer the eta question - I think 2013 is very doable, especially since Jason is due for roster protection after the 2012 season. A lot will hinge on his continued return to health and his continued progressing thru the system.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:07 am

When it boils down to it....do you have Knapp open the season on a 80-100 inning limit and have to shut him down in July? Or do you start him slow, have him open in Arizona, and then bring him up in May/June which would allow him to pitch the rest of the season. I choose the latter, which is what they are doing. He is fine, just monitoring his innings.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby ClevBuck » Mon May 09, 2011 12:34 pm

How high is his ceiling? What MLB pitcher does he best compare too? I've heard Halladay but was looking to get other opinions. Is he the highest ceiling prospect we have had since bob feller?
ClevBuck
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Mon May 09, 2011 3:10 pm

ClevBuck wrote:How high is his ceiling? What MLB pitcher does he best compare too? I've heard Halladay but was looking to get other opinions. Is he the highest ceiling prospect we have had since bob feller?

As a starter I think he has the highest ceiling since a healthy Miller, hard to compare him to Feller, as by this age Feller was a major leaguer. Not sure there is a comp that really jumps out, Holliday is another hard comp. If he hits his ceiling I could see Weaver as a comp to a degree or maybe a Josh Johnson
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon May 09, 2011 5:44 pm

Halladay is a bad comp as he is a completely different kind of pitcher. Knapp to me is more of an AJ Burnett kind of guy. Lots of power but some command/injury concerns. I'd expect once Pomeranz moves up to Akron that Knapp may go to Kinston (or Blair to Kinston I guess).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Return to Indians Prospect Talk