RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Alex White's lack of progress ...

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Alex White's lack of progress ...

Postby ironmike » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:48 am

Baseball America's draft preview issue ranked White as the second-best right-handed pitcher behind San Diego State's Stephen Strasburg. The Washington Nationals made Strasburg the No. 1 overall pick.

The Indians organization recently commented White needed to work to sharpen his secondary pitches in 2011 prior to being considered as a candidate for the big club saying he relied on his fastball often while at Akron last season.

My question is why did the Indians staff allow him to do that? What would be so difficult in having the manager or pitching coach at Akron call pitches from the dugout which would allow the player to accelerate his development during game conditions. Calling pitches from the dugout is nothing new, many teams do it at all levels. Teaching a young player to "pitch" rather than being a "thrower" should be the objective, not the Whip, ERA or won-loss record.

Seems White's development has slowed, he was lit up in spring training and truthfully, if our young pitchers can't beat our Talbot for a spot in the rotation then there might be need for concern.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Re: Alex White's lack of progress ...

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:25 am

Tony or possibly someone else mentioned that he was told not to use his best secondary pitch (split I think) as much last year so that he could work on other pitches. This explained why his strikeout totals dipped a little bit. Coming into the draft the reason he was mentioned as reliever was because he only had those 2 pitches. It will take a couple years to develop another pitch or two. Really though statistically you couldnt ask for a better first minor league season.
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:16 am

Pretty simple. White needed (still needs) to work on his fastball command last year. Can't pitch in the bigs and be effective if your fastball command is not there, and he has always had some walk issues. So hard to argue with them focusing on getting the fastball worked out and the mechanics and such last year. Slider as well. I think this year will (hopefully) be more of a finishing him off thing.

And let's not kid ourselves. He may have been a preseason #2, but he slid a little on draft day and there are concerns from other orgs/scouts in what his future role may be (reliever or starter). He has the goods, yes, but being #2 to Strasburg means nothing. Strasburg is on another planet while White clearly has/had some development opps to work through.

Don't be surprised if he starts the year in Akron (and quickly goes to Columbus).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:26 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Don't be surprised if he starts the year in Akron

Personally keeping my fingers crossed that he does to Akron to start the year (been hoping for this since October). Not that I don't like him (think he can be a #2 starter)....just don't see what the benefit is of forcing him to Columbus opening day. He didn't exactly blow hitters away at Akron. And starting the year in AA is hardly a roadblock preventing a guy from still reaching the MLs during the season should he prove himself ready.

Don't see the need to put any extra pressure on him. Not that the difference between AA and AAA should really put more pressure on him, but let him get off to a good start in AA, build some confidence then bump him up. Could still easily be in line for an August call-up to the bigs :drinks:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:10 pm

Fastball command.. with it.. White's slider and splitter (Lloyd is correct) only get that much better.. The first two to four outings of spring training are all dedicated to fastball command.. Make no mistake.. a well located fastball is still the best pitch in baseball...

Starting White in AA would make sense.. As hermie said.. it could give him momentum on his way to the ML's sometime later this summer.... :good:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:11 pm

Way too early to call it lack of progress, after one yr? Late this season, probably early next season. But to say he should be in majors already is wrong. I think he needs several more starts at AA then gets moved along naturally.
Maybe even 6 months from now, I think Gomez, Huff, McCallister could all see the bigs as a starter this yr before White is deemed ready.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:16 pm

ironmike wrote:Baseball America's draft preview issue ranked White as the second-best right-handed pitcher behind San Diego State's Stephen Strasburg. The Washington Nationals made Strasburg the No. 1 overall pick.

The Indians organization recently commented White needed to work to sharpen his secondary pitches in 2011 prior to being considered as a candidate for the big club saying he relied on his fastball often while at Akron last season.

My question is why did the Indians staff allow him to do that? What would be so difficult in having the manager or pitching coach at Akron call pitches from the dugout which would allow the player to accelerate his development during game conditions. Calling pitches from the dugout is nothing new, many teams do it at all levels. Teaching a young player to "pitch" rather than being a "thrower" should be the objective, not the Whip, ERA or won-loss record.

Seems White's development has slowed, he was lit up in spring training and truthfully, if our young pitchers can't beat our Talbot for a spot in the rotation then there might be need for concern.

Come on really going to use that he was 2nd to strausburg card, if teams thought that he wouldn't have fallen to 15. He is a MOR starter no better, I think he has little huge upside potential
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby ironmike » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:23 pm

Applaud the decision to start Alex White at Columbus. He needs to be challenged.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Return to Indians Prospect Talk