RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Tony Wolters

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Tony Wolters

Postby danh8 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:49 pm

Tony Lastoria mentioned on twitter today that Wolters is missing from camp. Not sure what that's about, but I'm sure Tony L. will fill us in on what he knows ....but, I did ask Wolters what his status is as far as getting to Goodyear, and he wrote me back saying that he's currently in Cleveland, and is planning to get to Goodyear on Friday morning.

So, I'm sure more info is forthcoming as to why he's been delayed..
danh8
Rookie Baller

Re: Tony Wolters

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:23 pm

I will tweet what's up first thing tomorrow.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:35 am

Wolters has a broken hamate bone. Sent back to Cleveland for surgery, be back on Friday. Out 5-6 weeks.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby wrestlecd4 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:37 am

ouch!!
wrestlecd4
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby daingean » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:38 am

TonyIPI wrote:Wolters has a broken hamate bone. Sent back to Cleveland for surgery, be back on Friday. Out 5-6 weeks.

feel bad for Wolters but this is just a minor set back.....speedy recovery Tony
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:57 pm

daingean wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Wolters has a broken hamate bone. Sent back to Cleveland for surgery, be back on Friday. Out 5-6 weeks.

feel bad for Wolters but this is just a minor set back.....speedy recovery Tony

I wouldn't necessarily say minor setback. Can take some guys a full year to recover from that completely (ie, their swing is off). Hopefully he has a Santana-like recovery though. :drinks:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby danh8 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:19 pm

It's a rare injury, but not if you're a baseball player. My son had this as well ...it's a bone in the hand. My son didn't swing a few months, basically ...and even then his hand was much weaker and he exercised it regularly to regain his strength in that hand.

My son, and most ballplayers have this happen while swinging the bat, flying out with your bottom hand after contact or following through late.

He'll be fine, in time. But, his hitting may be effected somewhat early on until the strength returns to normal.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:03 pm

At this point the injured hand has not been identified. So 2 serious questions:
1) how did the break happen/ is that known?
2) is the break in his catching hand or the throwing hand??

Tony - any info you could give would be appreciated. Thanks.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:30 am

Right hand.....and as far as I know he hurt it swinging, but not sure on that.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:26 am

Seems like a lot of hand injuries and oblique injuries have been going around.. It's a pretty good bet that the oblique injuries are a conditioning / training thing while hand injuries are a product of players having their hands either close to or out into the strike zone...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Ebby Calvin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:54 pm

I talked with Tony last week. He's going to be fine after a little rehab work and seeing some live pitching in extended spring training. A broken hamate bone isn't a result of having your hands too close or out into the strike zone. It's just a freak accident that happens occasionally.
I think I need a nickname.
Ebby Calvin
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:33 pm

Ebby Calvin wrote:I talked with Tony last week. He's going to be fine after a little rehab work and seeing some live pitching in extended spring training. A broken hamate bone isn't a result of having your hands too close or out into the strike zone. It's just a freak accident that happens occasionally.

Yeah the hamate bone is one of those bones that baseball players really could have removed at birth and would be better off down the line. It serves no purpose and is just there to get hurt.

Can take some guys longer than other to return. Santana had this last year and came back pretty quick. Ken Griffey had his removed...then hit over 50 HRs a year later. A setback for Wolters, but nothing that should have any long-term effect on his game thankfully. :drinks:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Indians Prospect Talk