Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

The 2011 Gallery

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: The 2011 Gallery

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:27 am

1-Lonnie Chisenhall
2-Alex White
3-Jason Kipnis
4-Drew Pomeranz
5-Chun-Hsiu Chen
6-LeVon Washington
7-Nick Weglarz
8-Joe Gardner
9-Jason Knapp
10-Cord Phelps
11-Tony Wolters
12-Trey Haley
13-Kyle Blair
14-Bryce Stowell
15-Tony Dischler
16-Vinnie Pestano
17-Nick Hagadone
18-Jared Goedert
19-Matt Packer
20-Tyler Holt
21-Rob Bryson
22-Giovonny Urshela
23-Robbie Aviles
24-Scott Barnes
25-Zach Putnam
26-Michael Goodnight
27-TJ House
28-Jordan Henry
29-Josh Judy
30-Alexander Perez

This is the toughest ever list to put together. Hated leaving off Rondon but he has to show something above AA. Hated leaving off KDLC but his BB/K is disgusting. Hated leaving off Burns but he's kinda old for his level & put up his results in a pitchers league. Had a hard time over House/McFarland@27. Had a hard time over Perez/Soto@30. Don't know enough about Sterling. That's a pretty physically mature 17yr old. Is he done growing? Deep system.
Last edited by Rocky55 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Rocky55 wrote:This is the toughest ever list to put together. Hated leaving off Rondon but he has to show something above AA. Hated leaving off KDLC but his BB/K is disgusting. Hated leaving off Burns but he's kinda old for his level & put up his results in a pitchers league. Had a hard time over House/McFarland@27. Had a hard time over Perez/Soto@30. Don't know enough about Sterling. That's a pretty physically mature 17yr old. Is he done growing? Deep system.

I hear you on Rondon and KDLC but both are coming off of TJ surgery. I know of someone who had TJ (when he was 15 year old) who said that his arm is stronger but command is the last thing to come. TJ really doesn't scare me and BB/K doesn't really scare me until 2-3 years after the surgery.

What really scares me is Knapp's shoulder surgery. I'd like to see him pitch with health for a year before I put high on the list.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby petes999 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:27 pm

daingean wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:This is the toughest ever list to put together. Hated leaving off Rondon but he has to show something above AA. Hated leaving off KDLC but his BB/K is disgusting. Hated leaving off Burns but he's kinda old for his level & put up his results in a pitchers league. Had a hard time over House/McFarland@27. Had a hard time over Perez/Soto@30. Don't know enough about Sterling. That's a pretty physically mature 17yr old. Is he done growing? Deep system.

I hear you on Rondon and KDLC but both are coming off of TJ surgery. I know of someone who had TJ (when he was 15 year old) who said that his arm is stronger but command is the last thing to come. TJ really doesn't scare me and BB/K doesn't really scare me until 2-3 years after the surgery.

What really scares me is Knapp's shoulder surgery. I'd like to see him pitch with health for a year before I put high on the list.

It's a hard list to put together. I have been avoiding it because how can you pick and choose between the talent in such a deep system. Yet, I am always interested in why people pick and choose certain criteria. For example, why some diss Rondon and Perez due to injury and Rondon having a bad month or two but then put Aviles at 20. I have been shying away from the drafties because I don't know enough. I guess it's time to put my list together so people can nit-pick my list.
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:57 pm

daingean wrote:

Agree on Knapp but I thought I was being kinda conservative. He's really talented though & he'll pitch all next year at only 20yrs old. Wonder what his IP limit will be.

Was Rondon pitching hurt in '09? He got hit pretty hard in Columbus that year.

Ditto DLC in Akron. I do(maybe irrationally) have more faith in him than in Rondon.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:07 pm

petes999 wrote:
daingean wrote:

It's a hard list to put together. I have been avoiding it because how can you pick and choose between the talent in such a deep system. Yet, I am always interested in why people pick and choose certain criteria. For example, why some diss Rondon and Perez due to injury and Rondon having a bad month or two but then put Aviles at 20. I have been shying away from the drafties because I don't know enough. I guess it's time to put my list together so people can nit-pick my list.

Don't know why anyone would nit-pick someone else's list. It's understood that these are only amateur's(except Slinger) :biggrin: opinions, no? I have Aviles at 23 because I believe he had 1st round potential sans injury. With decent luck & good development I believe he has TOR potential.

Good luck with your list, looking forward to it. :drinks:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby petes999 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:38 pm

Rocky ... I feel like I am nit-picking others. It has been hard the last two years to keep up with everything with newborn twins running around my house. Thus, I have been trying to ask questions why there seems to be outliers on lists that I have seen (like Aviles and Rondon in yours). Just trying this exercise has forced me to learn about our prospects as I only saw one game last year.

Maybe next year with my twins turning 2, I can get out of the house more and take my older son to a few Akron/Lake County games on Saturday nights.
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:27 pm

petes999 wrote:Rocky ... I feel like I am nit-picking others. It has been hard the last two years to keep up with everything with newborn twins running around my house. Thus, I have been trying to ask questions why there seems to be outliers on lists that I have seen (like Aviles and Rondon in yours). Just trying this exercise has forced me to learn about our prospects as I only saw one game last year.

Maybe next year with my twins turning 2, I can get out of the house more and take my older son to a few Akron/Lake County games on Saturday nights.

Congrats on the twins. You're a lucky man but I don't think I'd have the endurance. The 20 month old human dynamo I call a grandson visits and I have to rest for days afterward. Keep up the comments, time & energy permitting. :biggrin:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Very interesting top 100 MLB prospect listing

Postby davidkey » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:32 pm

From a web-site named www.calltothepen.com (full link below)

They rank the top 100 prospects, going in 10's, eg 1-10, 11-20, etc.

Observations.......

- 7 Indians on the list

- Highest rated Indian is Jason Knapp at #11

- Other 'not surprising' picks from the Tribe system: A. White, D. Pomeranz, N. Weglarz

- NOT on the list anywhere......Kipnis or Chisenall (this is real mind-boggling)

- Notables who ARE on the list, suprising or otherwise: Chun-Hsien Chen, Matt Packer, Felix Sterling

web-site: http://calltothepen.com/2010/11/20/the- ... 2010-10-1/
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:02 pm

That guy doesn't seem any more qualified than the typical baseball fan who can manage to create a blog. He came up with the list in August, posted it in November, and in the three months in between couldn't correct his boneheaded assumption that Domonic Brown would lose his eligibility for the list?

Here's another Top 100 I saw today - Deep Leagues. Apparently it's just a couple fantasy baseball loving lawyers with no real credibility, but it's still more realistic than the Call to the Pen list. Indians in their Top 100: Lonnie Chisenhall (22), Jason Kipnis (42), Alex White (49), Nick Weglarz (60) and Drew Pomeranz (61).
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:04 pm

1. Lonnie Chisenhall Sweet swing - may have similar career to T. Fryman
2. Jason Kipnis My guess to emerge from Kipnis/Phelps/Donald 2b derby
3. Alex White If he stays at SP his value is high
4. Drew Pomeranz Lefty with velo - SP or RP?
5. Nick Hagadone Lefty with velo - lots of velo - control is a concern but just a few years from TJ surgery
6. Jared Goedert 3B option - good power for 3B - needs to improve defense
7. Nick Weglarz Power - this is what the Indians need - Wegs has played in big games for Team Canada
8. Josh Judy BP option
9. Chun-Hsiu Chen Catcher's have to be highly valued - especially if they are good - Chun is
10. Joe Gardner Moving up fast - AA is a proving ground
11. Zach Putnam Could be BP option in 2010 (mid summer)
12. TJ House
13. Jordan Henry Speedy outfielder1
14. Hector Rondon Once a top 10 prospect - can get back there after recovery from surgery
15. Zach McCalister
16. Vinnie Pestano Competes for a BP spot now.
17. Cord Phelps Good chance at 2B - has to beat out a Soph and fellow rookie - if not he'll be a valuable util - gamer
18. Bryce Stowell Bullpen option in mid 2011
19. Jason Knapp Shoulder surgery scares me - I want to see him pitch 120 - 150 innings before I buy into the hype
20. Alexander Perez
21. Giovanny Urshela INF - 2011 should be first year at full season
22. Kelvin De La Cruz Hoping he gets his control down - he should move up the ladder
23. Matt Packer
24. Rob Bryson RP recovered from surgery - 2010 was the year he got back in the prospect hunt
25. Adam Miller
26. LeVon Washington Lets see what he does in a full season before we get excited (my guess is be ready to be excited)
27. Tony Wolters Baseball Rat - I expect him to make it. Should move up list after a year of seasoning
28. Tyler Holt
29. Scott Barnes
30. Robbie Aviles

---- notable names beyond #30
Bo Greenwell
Matt McBride Has power - needs a position or will be a corner IF/OF utility guy
Cory Burns
Corey Kluber
Trey Haley Disappointed in his progress - has talent to really move once he puts it all together
Paolo Espino
Kyle Blair Waiting to see what we have in this guy
Tony Dischler
Kyle Bellows
Michael Goodnight 2010 drafty
Felix Sterling
Matt Langwell
Alex Lavisky
Giovanny Soto
John Drennan
Beau Mills

Let me note, that I get most of my information from Tony and this site. I am probably ranking these guys more in hope (being a fan) as I haven't seen many of these guys. I do see a lot of amature baseball and will have some good insights on players in the next few years (step-son is a 16 year old OF/P here in Ga. - I see a lot of baseball at East Cobb).

Anyway, shoulder surgery scares me more that TJ surgery for pitchers. That is because I think guys come back better from TJ than shoulder surgery. Also, I want to see what the 2010 drafties do in a full season (or ext ST and then a short season) before they climb too high (Pomeranz being the exception). I still have a lot of hope for Adam Miller (#26).

I will also say that I was a little disappointed that the Tribe didn't sign CT Bradford (MVP) or Kirby Bellow as both had good WWBA (Perfect Game) tournaments here at ECB.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby petes999 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:34 am

Here is my top 30 .... Harder to pair the list down this year than most. Also think that outside the top 5, there could be a lot of movement this year as many players have depressed values and can really jump up to elite status if they live up to their expectations (De La Cruz, Rondon, House, Perez, ...). Also some who have had one good season and can jump way up with a repeat performance (Chen ... the next Santana, Packer, Urshela, Steeling, ..).

1) White – Only bad month in August shows the wear and tear in first year.
2) Knapp – High ERA due to high WHIP, but misses bats. Could be a Carrasco mentality issue as he allowed multiple runs in 3 games, 2, 3 and 4 runs and than 0 earned runs in 6 games.
3) Chisenhall – Being labeled a steady player takes him down a notch or two for me from the top spot (limited upside).
4) Pom – A hard throwing lefty … heard that before.
5) Kipnis – A bit more pop in his bat than expected.

6) Hagadone – down graded because he may not become a starter and as a reliever may not be as good as Stowell. But, rates higher as starter may be in his future.
7) Gardner – had a great August after being ruffed up in July. Shows a bit of toughness.
8) Rondon – bad month before injury. Yet, he held his own in AAA the last month of 2009.
9) Chen – Would be higher if he can repeat (kind of like Santana bad year before break-out)
10) Washington – good first three games … hope he lives up to hype

11) House – in his second season, he held his own at Kinston at 20 (but Rondon showed better numbers). But, you have to wonder what his defense cost him (higher his GB% by month, they higher his ERA was).
12) Stowell – hitting almost 100 mph … Can’t wait to see Perez, Stowell and Bryson
13) Weglarz—What caught my eye is a decrease in power (HR) numbers after LC when he should be doing more with age.
14) Wolters – Like his grit at a premium position
15) De La Cruz – disaster at 22 in AA. But, he had a decent July and probably got tired in August due to only doing 20 or so innings in 2009. Call me optimistic.
16) Phelps—Not much power and a bit streaky – see his May/June splits in 2009 and 2010 – wonder if he is working on his swing mechanics before blowing up pitching in the 2nd half.
17) Packer – at 23, he was old for Lake County and only did a few games at Akron. I am waiting for him to repeat a full year.
18) Bryson – came back as strong as we were hoping, with a great K rate
19) Soto – I will be interested to see how he holds up for a full a year as his numbers got worse as the year went on -- but its only his first full year.
20) Sterling – Held his own at age 17 … I look for upside this far down the list.
21) Urshela – BA steadily improved over season at age 18 from .250, .270 to .300+
22) A. Perez – Hopefully, with rehab, he gets that strength that we have been waiting for to match up with his offspeed pitches
23) CC Lee – had a great second half of season but at 23 (a step behind Bryson at 22)
24) Abreu – On list just due to his power potential that is lacking in our system
25) Klubler – Just see him as back of rotation, inning eater. Can’t get too high on him right now.
26) Putnam – not as high as others are on him
27) Goedert – See him getting blocked by Chisenhall and Kipnis and thus being a utlity guy.
28) Aviles – Waiting to see what he has when he comes back next year.
29) Greenwell – Like his toughness and he hit almost as well as Henry with more power
30) McAllister – Just can’t believe that his season last year is what he really is.
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby theshow » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:33 pm

My list. Merry XMas!

1. Chisenhall
2. Pomeranz
3. White
4. Kipnis
5. Chun Chen
6. Jason Knapp
7. Joe Gardner
8. Bryce Stowell
9. Cord Phelps
10. Levon Washington
11. Nick Weglarz
12. Josh Judy
13. Tony Wolters
14. Zach Putnam
15. Scott Barnes
16. Kyle Blair
17. Felix Sterling
18. TJ House
19. Matt Packer
20. Hector Rondon
21. Alexander Perez
22. Kelvin De La Cruz
23. Corey Kluber
24. Rob Bryson
25. Roberto Perez
26. Vinnie Pestano
27. Giovanny Urshella
28. Bryan Price
29. Tyler Holt
30. Bo Greenwell
theshow
Rookie Baller

Postby davidkey » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:46 pm

Show, nice list, especially Stowell in top 10! I think you and I are the only ones to have him in the top 10 (BTW, in another thread I've listed my top 30 over 2 separate postings and will get my full top 30 here soon).

But....I'm not sure that Gardner or Phelps are top 10 material - may be be useful big leaguers some day, but probably won't be above average or better MLers, and that's the type of potential that I think all top 10 prospects in a decent system (such as ours) should have, IMHO.

And just in general, everyone seems to be putting the likes of Tyler Holt, Bo Greenwell and Jordan Henry in their top 30. OFs with speed, maybe a bit of defense, very little offense and not much upside. I think these guys are dime a dozen. We have one already just about big league ready in E. Carrera. Just let one go in Jose Constanza. Have one on the ML roster in Crowe. I can see where Greenwell, if he puts it all together, namely develops some power and keeps the avg up as he moves through Kinston/Akron, could turn into a legit prospect and potential ML difference maker in Cleveland in a few years. But I just see Holt and Henry as career AAA guys or perhaps AAAA (at absolute best), where they get an occasional call to the bigs in an emergency.
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby MadThinker88 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:48 pm

davidkey-
When you transfer your list, if you can please fill in the hole where you listed the upcoming 1st round pick - I have no real way to show that person in the rankings.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby davidkey » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:02 pm

Good point......thing is, at this time I don't have a name for the 2011 first round pick :pardon: . I was just thinking outside the box and figuring that our 2011 1st round pick should in theory be at the top of our lists going into 2012.

I'll do some research and find a power RH bat for us to draft in June and will then add that name to my full top 30 list.
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:57 am

davidkey wrote:Good point......thing is, at this time I don't have a name for the 2011 first round pick :pardon: . I was just thinking outside the box and figuring that our 2011 1st round pick should in theory be at the top of our lists going into 2012.

I'll do some research and find a power RH bat for us to draft in June and will then add that name to my full top 30 list.

When you get to George Springer.. SELL!!...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby osueddy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:04 am

Using my position by position rankings I've built an overall top 100 ranking. I've got say that I respect more what Tony does because the numbers are difficult to do past #50. I'm not going to write something about each of the players as most of us know something about them. I'm going to follow Tony's rules for eligibility as well.

1. Lonnie Chisenhall - 3B
2. Jason Knapp - RHP
3. Alex White - RHP
4. Drew Pomeranz - LHP
5. Jason Kipnis - 2B
6. Nick Hagadone - LHP
7. Joe Gardner - RHP
8. LeVon Washington - OF
9. Rob Bryson - RHP
10. Nick Weglarz - OF
11. Cord Phelps - 2B
12. T.J. House - LHP
13. Chun Chen - C
14. Bryce Stowell - RHP
15. Kelvin De La Cruz - LHP
16. Abner Abreu - OF
17. Austin Adams - RHP
18. Tony Wolters - SS
19. Vinnie Pestano - RHP
20. Josh Judy - RHP
21. Corey Kluber - RHP
22. Hector Rondon - RHP
23. Matt McBride - OF
24. Alex Lavisky - C
25. Scott Barnes - LHP
26. Bryan Price - RHP
27. Kyle Bellows - 3B
28. Jordan Brown - 1B
29. Matt Packer - LHP
30. Clayton Cook - RHP
31. Alexander Perez - RHP
32. Delvi Cid - OF
33. Jared Goedert - 3B
34. Frank Herrmann - RHP
35. Beau Mills - 1B
36. Chen-Chang Lee - RHP
37. Kyle Blair - RHP
38. T.J. McFarland - RHP
39. Jess Todd - RHP
40. Bo Greenwell - OF
41. Zach Putnam - RHP
42. Cory Burns - RHP
43. Trey Haley - RHP
44. Adam Miller - RHP
45. Jeremie Tice - 1B
46. Tyler Holt - OF
47. Paolo Espino - RHP
48. Giovanny Urshela - 3B
49. Jordan Henry - OF
50. Zach McAllister - RHP
51. Tyler Sturdevant - RHP
52. Roberto Perez - C
53. Brett Brach - RHP
54. Ezequiel Carrera - OF
55. Chris Jones - LHP
56. Preston Guilmet - RHP
57. John Drennen - OF
58. Eric Berger - LHP
59. Juan Diaz - SS
60. Marty Popham - RHP
61. Yohan Pino - RHP
62. Felix Sterling - RHP
63. Matt Langwell - RHP
64. Jesus Aguilar - 1B
65. Robbie Aviles - RHP
66. Wes Hodges - 1B
67. Casey Frawley - SS
68. Ramon Cespedes - RHP
69. Jerad Head - OF
70. Francisco Jimenez - RHP
71. Alex Monsalve - C
72. Joey Mahalic - RHP
73. Cole Cook - RHP
74. Brian Grening - RHP
75. Jason Smit - OF
76. Takafumi Nakamura - RHP
77. Danny Salazar - RHP
78. Tim Fedroff - OF
79. Michael Goodnight - RHP
80. Connor Graham - RHP
81. Hunter Jones - 3B
82. Karexon Sanchez - 2B
83. Vidal Nuno - LHP
84. Antwonie Hubbard - RHP
85. Jordan Cooper - RHP
86. Jorge Martinez - SS
87. Chase Burnette - 1B
88. Chad Huffman - OF
89. David Roberts - RHP
90. Carlton Smith - RHP
91. Donnie Webb - OF
92. Ryan Gardner - RHP
93. James Ehlert - RHP
94. Nicholas Bartolone - 2B
95. Nick Sarianides - RHP
96. Adam Abraham - 3B
97. Anthony Dischler - RHP
98. Argenis Martinez - 2B
99. Owen Dew - RHP
100. Nathan Striz
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:38 pm

I have to push out the submission deadline to the end of the month - 1/31/11.

Work has been.... a challenge recently and any hope I had to finish my own listing went by the wayside with a ton of extra work hours this week. With luck my listing will be posted here before 1/26 (currently I have my list narrowed down to 55).
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:25 pm

Thankful for the extended deadline...

1. Lonnie Chisenhall
2. Jason Kipnis
3. Alex White
4. Drew Pomeranz
5. Jason Knapp
6. Nick Weglarz
7. LeVon Washington
8. Chun Chen
9. Joe Gardner
10. Tony Wolters
11. Cord Phelps
12. Nick Hagadone
13. Bryce Stowell
14. TJ House
15. Rob Bryson
16. Kelvin De La Cruz
17. Scott Barnes
18. Austin Adams
19. Felix Sterling
20. Kyle Blair
21. Zach Putnam
22. Matt Packer
23. Alex Lavisky
24. Josh Judy
25. Hector Rondon
26. Giovanny Urshela
27. Alexander Perez
28. Bo Greenwell
29. Robbie Aviles
30. Giovanni Soto

Probably the next 10 who missed the cut: Jared Goedert, Cory Burns, Jordan Henry, Vinnie Pestano, Corey Kluber, Tyler Holt, Bryan Price, Matt McBride, Tony Dischler, Jordan Brown. Comparing my cut list to my top 25, I think I was clearly leaning towards ceiling rather than floor more often than not.

I swear I wasn't looking at Andrew's list when I did mine, but apparently we have similar views on ranking the kids, because I think the only difference in our top 10s was flipping Pomeranz and Knapp, and I think he only had 2-3 in his top 30 that really varied significantly from my thinking.

Not to criticize anyone else's list, but the top 7 were no-brainers in my mind, although could easily be moved around within that group (I feel like I'd reverse White-Pomeranz-Knapp a year from now, but couldn't do it at this point). Then 8-13 were the next clear level for me. Everything after that was hard (but fun) to sort through. I thought people were nuts for dropping Hector Rondon so far until I really started wading through the prospects myself, and then was stunned I dropped him all the way to #25. The injured arms (Rondon, Alexander Perez, Robbie Aviles) certainly felt like the biggest guess work.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:48 pm

No problem Pork chop... Hopefully mine will get up Thursday.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:18 am

MadThinker88 wrote:No problem Pork chop... Hopefully mine will get up Thursday.
It's still thursday?.. what?, you've been too busy watching american idol or working to focus on what's really important?.. :bad: :s_tongue
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby El Em » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:32 pm

I'll offer my contribution to the cause. For reference, I follow the majors far more zealously than I do the minors. That said, I find it hard to love baseball as I do and not pay attention to my favorite team's life blood. I do enjoy reading everyone's insights and opinions, and will try harder to offer more of mine in the future.

My list probably leans a bit more toward potential upside/ceiling, but not overwhelmingly so.

1 - Chisenhall
2 - White
3 - Kipinis
4 - Pomeranz
5 - Weglarz
6 - Knapp
7 - Chun-Hsiu Chen
8 - Washington
9 - Gardner
10 - Phelps
11 - Hagadone
12 - Stowell
13 - Urshela
14 - Barnes
15 - Bryson
16 - Abreu
17 - Haley
18 - Blair
19 - Wolters
20 - Dischler
21 - Packer
22 - Aviles
23 - Pestano
24 - Putnam
25 - de la Cruz
26 - Henry
27 - House
28 - Judy
29 - Greenwell
30 - Goodnight

Soto and A Perez being bounced in the end.

I had a very difficult time dealing with some of the exciting draftees from last year (most with no pro work), as well as a cluster of talented relief prospects, those returning from injury and guys who were generally "pretty good", but not at all exciting. Like most of you, I could have reached 50 worthy names without too much strain.

Take care,
Larry
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:06 pm

Here is my own listing (only a month later then I had originally planned)

Rank - Name: Position
01 - Lonnie Chisenhall: SS
02 - Alex White: RH pitcher
03 - Jason Kipnis: OF/2B
04 - Jason Knapp: RH pitcher
05 - Nick Weglarz: OF
06 - Drew Pomeranz: LH pitcher
07 - Joe Gardner: RH Pitcher
08 - LeVon Washington: OF
09 - Rob Bryson: RH pitcher
10 - Chun-Hsiu Chen: C
11 - Nick Hagadone: LH pitcher
12 - Cord Phelps: 2B/3B
13 - Bryce Stowell: RH pitcher
14 - Zach Putnam: RH pitcher
15 - Cory Burns: RH pitcher
16 - Tony Wolters: SS
17 - Josh Judy: RH pitcher
18 - Matt Packer: LH pitcher
19 - Kelvin de la Cruz: LH pitcher
20 - Preston Guilmet: RH pitcher
21 - Tyler Holt: OF
22 - Giovanni Soto: LH pitcher
23 - Matt Langwell: RH pitcher
24 - Hector Rondon: RH pitcher
25 - Giovanny Urshela: 3B
26 - Vinnie Pestano: RH pitcher
27 - Abner Abreu: OF
28 - Jordan Brown: 1B/ OF
29 - Matt McBride: C/1B/OF
30 - Ezequiel Carrera: OF

edit - a quick correction (flipping KdlC and Matt Langwell)
Last edited by MadThinker88 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:11 pm

I will be updating the spreadsheet with all the submissions.
Those interested in getting a copy of that spreadsheet, get me an email address (via PM)so I can send it to you.

Tony - you will automatically get a copy.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:58 pm

I know I'm going to get questions on who just missed and why isn't someone on the list.
The 3 pitchers that just missed my cut were TJ House, Scott Barnes and Alexander Perez.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Chiefroy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:17 pm

1) Jason Kipnis
2) Lonnie Chisenhall
3) Drew Pomeranz
4) Nick Weglarz
5) Jason Knapp
6) Alex White
7) Levon Washington
8) Nick Hagadone
9) Bryce Stowell
10) Kelvin de la Cruz
11) Cord Phelps
12) Hector Rondon
13) Chun Chen
14) Tony Wolters
15) Scott Barnes
16) Joe Gardner
17) Josh Judy
18) Matt Packer
19) Giovanny Urshela
20) Rob Bryson
21) Vinnie Pestano
22) Austin Adams
23) Kyle Bellows
24) T.J. House
25) Corey Kluber
26) Zach McAllister
27) Jerad Goedert
28) Felix Sterling
29) Kyle Blair
30) Giovanni Soto
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:04 pm

Interesting to note that none of us have rated Kyle Blair any higher than #13 (and several left him out of their top 30 entirely), while Baseball America (11), Baseball Prospectus (11) and John Sickels (12) all have him higher. Meanwhile, none of us rated Chun Chen any lower than #13, while only Sickels (11) has a comparable opinion of him (BA ranked him #22 and Goldstein didn't have him in BP's top 20).
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:25 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:Interesting to note that none of us have rated Kyle Blair any higher than #13 (and several left him out of their top 30 entirely), while Baseball America (11), Baseball Prospectus (11) and John Sickels (12) all have him higher. Meanwhile, none of us rated Chun Chen any lower than #13, while only Sickels (11) has a comparable opinion of him (BA ranked him #22 and Goldstein didn't have him in BP's top 20).

Good points Pork Chop. All part of the reason this project gets taken on each year.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:39 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Here is my own listing (only a month later then I had originally planned)

15 - Cory Burns: RH pitcher
23 - Matt Langwell: RH pitcher

edit - a quick correction (flipping KdlC and Matt Langwell)

MT, wondering why you list Chisenhall as a SS and not 3B? And Kipnis as an OF?
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:06 pm

Just haven't kept up with all the position changes. Generally I get a players name and initial position and leave it alone.

Granted, in the cases you pointed out can probably finalize the position change and move forward.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:09 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Just haven't kept up with all the position changes. Generally I get a players name and initial position and leave it alone.

Granted, in the cases you pointed out can probably finalize the position change and move forward.

Gotcha, was just curious. Great list, though, MT!
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:38 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
MadThinker88 wrote:Just haven't kept up with all the position changes. Generally I get a players name and initial position and leave it alone.

Granted, in the cases you pointed out I can probably finalize the position change and move forward.

Gotcha, was just curious. Great list, though, MT!

Anything jump out at you - in favor or against???
BTW - I made those corrections you pointed out.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby artgold » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:33 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Anything jump out at you - in favor or against???

Your ranking of Preston Guilmet over guys like House and Barnes is pretty interesting. His stuff seems to create some doubt about his major league ability, but he sure has a good performance history so far.

I liked this interview with Guilmet, where he discussed his limitations and his view of what it means to his ultimate success (love that attitude):

http://baseballbeginnings.com/2009/07/0 ... #more-1444
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:52 am

Here is my list hope its not to late :pardon:

1. Jason Kipnis
2. Lonnie Chisenhall
3. Drew Pomeranz
4. Jason Knapp
5. Nick Weglarz
6. Alex White
7. Joe Gardner
8. Chun Chen
9. Cord Phelps
10. Levon Washington
11. Kyle Blair
12. Tony Wolters
13. Bryce Stowell
14. Nick Hagadone (he goes up to #7 if a starter..)
15. Josh Judy
16. Matt Packer
17. Rob Bryson
18. Matt McBride
19. Kelvin De la Cruz
20. Alex Lavisky
21. Giovanny Urshela
22. Abner Abreu
23. Zach Putnam
24. Scott Barnes
25. Kyle Bellows
26. Jared Goedert
27. Juan Romero
28. C.C Lee
29. Jordan Henry - (if he had ANY power - he would be jump at least 10 spots but hey if he can hit 333 and have an OBP of .400+ and 30+ SB... he should move up alot)
30. Tyler Holt
31. Jeremie Tice
32. Juan Diaz
Ok this is toooooooo hard :) :tease:

Tough list to do my god! The last 10-15 or so - good luck so many potentials so few spots.. definitely a year in which we will see some separation - definitely gonna see some shooters (Greenwell and Co. and a few pitchers....)
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ClevelandBlues » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:12 pm

Ive been lurking on this site for a while and I thought I would add my list. I know it is last minute, but procrastinating is my specialty.

1. Jason Kipnis
2. Lonnie Chisenhall
3. Drew Pomeranz
4. Jason Knapp
5. Alex White
6. Chun Chen
7. Joe Gardner
8. Cord Phelps
9. Tony Wolters
10. Levon Washington
11. Hector Rondon
12. Nick Hagadone
13. Nick Weglarz
14. Kelvin DeLaCruz
15. Matt McBride
16. Cory Kluber
17. Bryce Stowell
18. Giovanny Urshella
19. Rob Bryson
20. Jesus Aguilar
21. Kyle Blair
22. Tyler Holt
23. Giovanny Soto
24. Bo Greenwell
25. TJ House
26. Austin Adams
27. Josh Judy
28. Marty Popham
29. Matt Packer
30. Felix Sterling
ClevelandBlues
Draft Prospect

Postby El Em » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:11 pm

ClevelandBlues wrote:Ive been lurking on this site for a while and I thought I would add my list. I know it is last minute, but procrastinating is my specialty.

6. Chun Chen

9. Tony Wolters

13. Nick Weglarz

18. Giovanny Urshella

Mr.Blues
Welcome in from the land of lurking...I just found the way myself.
I see you are pretty high on Giovanny, Chun Chen, and Wolters. I find myself with great expectations for the first two, but only ignorant hope on Wolters. Does anything in particular inspire you about him? Have all the injuries begun to discourage you on Weglarz? I really feel like Weglarz still has a good chance to be a very beloved Indian...of these 4 we are discussing, I think he has the best chance.

Take care,
Larry
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:57 pm

Hey Blues, welcome to the site. Good first post! Nothing stands out as seriously out of place and jumps out at me. I wouldn't have McBride at 15 but you are not alone in placing him in that area. Lurk no more! :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby martyinnewyork » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:25 pm

Here goes, last minute Top 30...

1 Chisenhall
2 White
3 Knapp
4 Kipnis
5 Pomeranz
6 Phelps
7 Weglarz
8 Washington
9 Gardner
10 Chen
11 Wolters
12 Rondon
13 Hagadone
14 DeLaCruz
15 Blair
16 House
17 A. Perez
18 Urshela
19 Cid
20 Putnam
21 Araujo
22 Bryson
23 J. Henry
24 Lavisky
25 Adams
26 Stowell
27 Soto
28 Aviles
29 Cl. Cook
30 Abreu

The guys coming off injury were hard to rank. After top ten, list could go anywhere...
Tough to rank our 2010 draftees... How do you do this, Tony?
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby ClevelandBlues » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:08 am

I ranked Chen at six because good catchers are hard to develop. I think his bat is for real after not slowing down after being promoted to Kinston. I know there are questions about his defense, but with Santana in Cleveland, they can afford to be patient with him. I wasn't really sure where to place the 2010 draft class. I placed Wolters at nine based mostly on potential. Staying ranked this high depends on whether he can stay at shortstop. I ranked 11-14 as players with top ten potential but with question marks. I like Weglarz's bat, but if bad defense kept Brown and Goedert from being promoted, I could see it becoming an issue with him too. If he could stay healthy and show good power numbers I would move him up a few spots. I ranked McBride this high because I think he is close to major league ready. I like him because he seems to outperform what people expect of him. I could see him being a player that could bat sixth or seventh and put up decent numbers. I ranked Urshella this high because he has the potential to be above average both offensively and defensively. He is probably several years away though.
ClevelandBlues
Draft Prospect

Postby El Em » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:34 am

ClevelandBlues wrote:I ranked Chen at six because good catchers are hard to develop. I think his bat is for real after not slowing down after being promoted to Kinston. I know there are questions about his defense, but with Santana in Cleveland, they can afford to be patient with him. I wasn't really sure where to place the 2010 draft class. I placed Wolters at nine based mostly on potential. Staying ranked this high depends on whether he can stay at shortstop. I ranked 11-14 as players with top ten potential but with question marks. I like Weglarz's bat, but if bad defense kept Brown and Goedert from being promoted, I could see it becoming an issue with him too. If he could stay healthy and show good power numbers I would move him up a few spots. I ranked McBride this high because I think he is close to major league ready. I like him because he seems to outperform what people expect of him. I could see him being a player that could bat sixth or seventh and put up decent numbers. I ranked Urshella this high because he has the potential to be above average both offensively and defensively. He is probably several years away though.

I'd have to say I agree with most of the above, but do not have the impression that Weglarz is a bad defender. I do love the potential of Urshela!
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:16 pm

El Em wrote:
ClevelandBlues wrote:I ranked Chen at six because good catchers are hard to develop. I think his bat is for real after not slowing down after being promoted to Kinston. I know there are questions about his defense, but with Santana in Cleveland, they can afford to be patient with him. I wasn't really sure where to place the 2010 draft class. I placed Wolters at nine based mostly on potential. Staying ranked this high depends on whether he can stay at shortstop. I ranked 11-14 as players with top ten potential but with question marks. I like Weglarz's bat, but if bad defense kept Brown and Goedert from being promoted, I could see it becoming an issue with him too. If he could stay healthy and show good power numbers I would move him up a few spots. I ranked McBride this high because I think he is close to major league ready. I like him because he seems to outperform what people expect of him. I could see him being a player that could bat sixth or seventh and put up decent numbers. I ranked Urshella this high because he has the potential to be above average both offensively and defensively. He is probably several years away though.

I'd have to say I agree with most of the above, but do not have the impression that Weglarz is a bad defender. I do love the potential of Urshela!

+1. Weglarz was absolutely dreadful earlier in his career at LC but has steadily improved to an average defender with an above average LF arm IMO. Way too big to be a great athlete but surprisingly nimble even though he should be considered injury prone IMO. Well above Brown, Goedert and McBride in defensive ability from what I see. Plate discipline sets him apart from those three offensively. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:44 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:+1. Weglarz was absolutely dreadful earlier in his career at LC but has steadily improved to an average defender with an above average LF arm IMO. Way too big to be a great athlete but surprisingly nimble even though he should be considered injury prone IMO. Well above Brown, Goedert and McBride in defensive ability from what I see. Plate discipline sets him apart from those three offensively. :pleasantry:

You really like Wegz's arm as above average in LF? Not disagreeing here, just asking. I'd personally like to see Wegz in RF more this year if he's healthy...especially if his arm is as you say pretty decent (at least for LF). Realize Choo is there for the next 3 years....but with Boras, we know that may be it. Wegz' bat profiles well to RF....question is can he play there fulltime? Manny did....so would think Wegz could. Though I'm still not at all impressed with how he moves in LF. Though maybe it's the injury and when healthy he moves better. Still worry that he's gonna be the full-time DH in 2013 cause of injuries.

Realize that's more a long-term issue...but don't really like our RF prospects moving forward unless Abreu rebounds and really steps up.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:59 pm

Nick Weglarz hit 285 with 13 HR 47 RBI's at Akron & Columbus last year, all this while being hampered by a thumb ligament injury. A possible good comp for Weglarz is old friend, Jimmy Thome or Adam Dunn. These two players are a bit of a stretch but not "too" far off. Wegz is big, has show power to all fields & he has a highly advanced understanding of the strike zone: 50 BB in just 312 AB last year. He's also been quite involved in some of the most serious baseball competitions: World Baseball Classic for Canada. If you were going to build the prototypical LF'er for the Indians, Wegz wouldn't be a bad player to use as a model. He has a decent to above average arm for LF but isn't the most athletic. If there was no Matt LaPorta, Wegz would already be honing his skills at 1B.. that may still come to pass..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby El Em » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:12 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Nick Weglarz hit 285 with 13 HR 47 RBI's at Akron & Columbus last year, all this while being hampered by a thumb ligament injury. A possible good comp for Weglarz is old friend, Jimmy Thome or Adam Dunn. These two players are a bit of a stretch but not "too" far off. Wegz is big, has show power to all fields & he has a highly advanced understanding of the strike zone: 50 BB in just 312 AB last year. He's also been quite involved in some of the most serious baseball competitions: World Baseball Classic for Canada. If you were going to build the prototypical LF'er for the Indians, Wegz wouldn't be a bad player to use as a model. He has a decent to above average arm for LF but isn't the most athletic. If there was no Matt LaPorta, Wegz would already be honing his skills at 1B.. that may still come to pass..

When it comes to Wegz, I too see a lot of what I liked about a young Jim Thome with a bat in his hand. I love the "eye"...fully believing the power will manifest this year, and then into the majors. I'm hopeful he sticks in the OF, but know if he hits, he'll find a place somewhere.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:19 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:+1. Weglarz was absolutely dreadful earlier in his career at LC but has steadily improved to an average defender with an above average LF arm IMO. Way too big to be a great athlete but surprisingly nimble even though he should be considered injury prone IMO. Well above Brown, Goedert and McBride in defensive ability from what I see. Plate discipline sets him apart from those three offensively. :pleasantry:

You really like Wegz's arm as above average in LF? Not disagreeing here, just asking. I'd personally like to see Wegz in RF more this year if he's healthy...especially if his arm is as you say pretty decent (at least for LF). Realize Choo is there for the next 3 years....but with Boras, we know that may be it. Wegz' bat profiles well to RF....question is can he play there fulltime? Manny did....so would think Wegz could. Though I'm still not at all impressed with how he moves in LF. Though maybe it's the injury and when healthy he moves better. Still worry that he's gonna be the full-time DH in 2013 cause of injuries.

Realize that's more a long-term issue...but don't really like our RF prospects moving forward unless Abreu rebounds and really steps up.

Weglarz has decent arm strength but has a long arm action. It has occurred to me that he might have to move to right when Choo leaves but his is not a true RF arm from what I see. His arm strength might be close to Choo but he does not get the ball off as quickly. Somewhat similar to what I see in the Brantley/Sizemore comparison. I would put Brantley a solid 10 pts higher but Sizemore has a very fast release and is able to get his entire body behind the throw when moving forward. I am not sure the tribe wants another Manny in RF defensively or JuanGone. Chemically enhanced arm strength isn't what we need IMO. :drinks:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:46 pm

Getting ready to close the window for submissions. I'm a little surprised that I didn't get submissions from a few people this year.

Hermie/Daz - Come on guys, :clapping: you can still submit a list and get us to 20 entries.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:12 am

Interesting seeing some guys so high and some guys so low. Amazing how everyone has their own perception of a player's worth...which is the beauty/fun of it all when it comes to the rankings.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby csowlfan26 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:16 am

TonyIPI wrote:Interesting seeing some guys so high and some guys so low. Amazing how everyone has their own perception of a player's worth...which is the beauty/fun of it all when it comes to the rankings.

Ought to be an interesting year....see ya in Arizona.
15 - Matt Langwell: RH pitcher
23 - Cory Burns: RH pitcher
csowlfan26
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:28 pm

csowlfan26 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Interesting seeing some guys so high and some guys so low. Amazing how everyone has their own perception of a player's worth...which is the beauty/fun of it all when it comes to the rankings.

Ought to be an interesting year....see ya in Arizona.
15 - Matt Langwell: RH pitcher
23 - Cory Burns: RH pitcher

csowlfan26 - were you looking to submit a list? That listing outside of Langwell & Burns sure looked likes mine. I'll accept it if you wish but I'm scared if anyone was in a similar state of mine as me. Bad things man..... Bad things.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby csowlfan26 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:36 am

MadThinker88 wrote:
csowlfan26 wrote:

Sorry bout that MT88, submitted wrong list got pasted in, here is my list:
01 - Lonnie Chisenhall
02 - Jason Kipnis
03 - Drew Pomeranz
04 - Nick Hagadone
05 – Jason Knapp
06 - Chun-Hsiu Chen
07 - Alex White
08 – Tony Wolters
09 - Nick Weglarz: OF
10 - Joe Gardner
11 – Cord Phelps
12 – Zach McCallister
13 – Jared Goedert
14 – Marty Popham
15 – Matt Langwell
16 – Josh Judy
17 – Hector Rondon
18 – Vinnie Pestano
19 – Zach Putnam
20 – Scott Barnes
21 – Rob Bryson
22 – TJ House
23 - Tyler Holt
24 – Giovanny Urshela
25 - Cory Burns
26 – Kelvin de la Cruz
27 – Alexander Perez
28 – Bryce Stowell
29 – Matt Packer
30 – Levon Washington

csowlfan26 - were you looking to submit a list? That listing outside of Langwell & Burns sure looked likes mine. I'll accept it if you wish but I'm scared if anyone was in a similar state of mine as me. Bad things man..... Bad things.
csowlfan26
Undrafted Free Agent

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk