RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

ugh....CC to the Yanks....

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

ugh....CC to the Yanks....

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:41 am

Accoring to reports, CC has agreed to sign with the Yanks......say it ain't so CC!

Was really hoping he'd shun them and sign with the Dodgers or Giants.....

reports say it's now a 7 year/$160M deal!
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: ugh....CC to the Yanks....

Postby Jake Taylor » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:13 pm

What a surprise. Money, money, money.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:22 pm

To be honest, I am not bothered by the Yankees getting CC. I think this has a lot of potential of blowing up in their face given his issues with pitching in big games or under pressure for that matter....and in NY you are under pressure every day. Also, he's really had a lot of wear and tear on his body the last two seasons where I just can't see him staying healthy for the length of this deal. He has some serious shoulder/arm issues coming on the horizon. The Yankees had to do this because of the new stadium, missing the playoffs for the first time in forever, and because they can.....but I think it is very interesting that no one else even approached the deal they gave him. The 29 other teams in baseball probably shared the same concerns.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Jake Taylor » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:39 pm

I guess CC thinks the Yankees are going to move to the NL and relocate to California so he can bat and live close to home :)
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:55 pm

Report is it's 7yr/$161M with an opt-out clause after the first 3 years. If he hates it there and the media is getting to him he can leave.

I don't see him having many arm problems. His weight allows him to put less strain on his arm and use his body to generate the power behind his pitches. The playoff issue could be of concern though.....if he has a bad postseason or two we'll be looking at A-Rod part duex....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:23 pm

Boy is this a disaster waiting to happen.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:29 pm

I don't know about that. It worked out real well with the Yanks when they signed Mussina to a 6 year deal. CC is younger and arguably better.....

Even if he opts out on them, they get him for 3yr and $69M.....not too bad for them.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:04 pm

Hermie13 wrote:I don't know about that. It worked out real well with the Yanks when they signed Mussina to a 6 year deal. CC is younger and arguably better.....

Even if he opts out on them, they get him for 3yr and $69M.....not too bad for them.

yeah but mussina never had issues with pressing, CC presses too much when he feels he has to preform. Its why in his 3 play off years hes been a bad pitcher. Under the pressure of the media and the contract I expect this to be ugly. He has never had to deal with mega media, and add in his size the number of Inngings he has had in his career, and the fact he has never been a great guy about staying in perfect health. I really expect this to go very badly. The opt out is on his end alone I belive so he can get away if he hates it in NY, if he has any injuries next year or starts like he started this year he is going to get nuked by the media and fans. If he isnt a top 3 Cy Young he will get booed. This contract is like setting oneself up to fail
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:05 pm

also the contract pisses me of as a NYC resident because the yanks are asking for even mroe tax payer money for there staduim yet they can offer a deal like that they can go screw themselves. If you can give a deal like that pay for your own damn staduim
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:20 pm

He was ok in 2001. 2 runs in 6 innings for a 21 year old isn't bad at all. Last year he struggled but was also on 3 days rest for like the 4th time in a row. He didn't crumble under the weight of the pressure down the stretch last year when he could have.

Plus, he did beat the Yanks in 2007 game 1 of the ALDS......I'm sure the Yanks saw how Wang pitched and felt whatever CC could give them would be better. Lowe is old. Sheets is often injured. And same with Burnett.....best deal the Yanks could make this winter other than maybe gettign Peavy who doesn't want to come to the AL....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:17 pm

Does this really surprise anyone? This has been a foregone conclusion for nearly two years. I am pleased with the package we received for CC altough sore are not as enthused. Just glad it is the Yankees paying the money and the years. No doubt this makes the Yankees a better team in the short run. They still have holes to fill but have the money to do it. The Yankees do it with veterans and have an unlimited budget. CC gave us good years and he deserves his rainbow. It's a match!
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Return to Beyond The Minors