RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Paul Dolan Speaks

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Paul Dolan Speaks

Postby Duane Kuiper » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:09 am

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2008/11/dolan_says_tribe_wont_stand_pa.html

"As always, we will look to be opportunistic," said Dolan.

Translation? We will be again shopping in the bargain basement for leftovers.
Dolan:When we see an opportunity to improve the club, we won't be afraid to do it.
Their definition of improvement and mine are probably different. If they sign a Dellucci-type, that is not improvement.

Dolan:"We will not pull back from where we ended last season.

Hoynes:Indians President Paul Dolan says there will be no "pull back" in the team's big-league payroll for 2009 despite the country's poor economy.

The Indians' 25-man payroll at the start of the 2008 season was an estimated $79 million. When the season ended, following the trades of veterans CC Sabathia, Casey Blake and Paul Byrd, it was an estimated $75 million. Just where it will be for the start of next season has yet to be determined, but the Indians have an estimated $57 million committed to 11 players.

Translation? $75 mil max for the payroll.

Dolan, "We like the club we have right now.

Translation? Don't expect many changes.

Hoynes:Two other third-base candidates have apparently slipped on the Tribe's most wanted list. Talks with the Rockies concerning Garrett Atkins have quieted, while free agent Joe Crede's bad back remains a concern.

The picture of Garrett, a suspect defender, playing alongside the range-challenged Peralta, caused worry in the executive offices at Progressive Field.

Translation? The Indians have correctly determined that they need better IF defense. Not worse.
Hoynes:It is one of the reasons the Indians have continued to pursue Blake.
Translation? They are about to make the same mistake they made last offseason. Stand pat. Except that giving Blake a multi-year contract is worse than the one-year deal he had for the 08 season.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Re: Paul Dolan Speaks

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:20 am

Last year's payroll increased $14M over the 2007 opening day payroll.....not sure how what he said translates to it staying the same in 2009.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Duane Kuiper » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:01 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Last year's payroll increased $14M over the 2007 opening day payroll.....not sure how what he said translates to it staying the same in 2009.....

Huh? What does 2007's payroll have to do with anything quoted?
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:22 pm

How does saying that the 2008 payroll ended at $75M have anything to do with 2009? He said they aren't gonna pull back, they'll likely increase the payroll then like they did this year. By not increasing it they would be pulling back.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby gorman8621 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:53 pm

Hermie13 wrote:How does saying that the 2008 payroll ended at $75M have anything to do with 2009? He said they aren't gonna pull back, they'll likely increase the payroll then like they did this year. By not increasing it they would be pulling back.

Umm...no...by not "pulling back" they are saying that they won't be cutting payroll. That means it will more than likely be right around where it was this season (75-80mil).
gorman8621
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TheWord » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:47 pm

So they shouldn't stand pat and should dive head first into a mediocre list of free agents?

Eh, I think I'd rather make the small deals....
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby Duane Kuiper » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:56 pm

TheWord wrote:So they shouldn't stand pat and should dive head first into a mediocre list of free agents?

Eh, I think I'd rather make the small deals....

Who said spending money only includes buying FA? They can also trade for players and add salary.
How does saying that the 2008 payroll ended at $75M have anything to do with 2009?
Because Dolan said that there will be no "pull back" in the team's big-league payroll for 2009 despite the country's poor economy.
Dolan:"We will not pull back from where we ended last season."
See Hermie, Dolan mentions the end of last season. That is where 2008 comes into play.

Translation: Payroll is not dropping from where it was at the end of 2008 but nowhere did he say it was increasing.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:10 am

You guys spend way too much time worrying about payroll. A 75-80M payroll is exactly where they should be if you ask me since I believe that is about league average spending for a league average market, so I can't expect more than that especially considering their poor return at the gates.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TheWord » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:37 pm

People get caught up with the John Hart era when the Browns weren't around, the Cavs were irrelavent and the economy was great.

It's just not the same MLB anymore, this team has proven it can be competitive at 80 million, are you really going to be THAT mad that we can't go out and trade for "big name guys" like Garrett Atkins? There really aren't a ton of viable options out there, so it goes without saying that they will make one or two moves for filler and go out there and compete.

We see free agent bust after free agent bust on every team.
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:12 pm

TheWord wrote:People get caught up with the John Hart era when the Browns weren't around, the Cavs were irrelavent and the economy was great.

It's just not the same MLB anymore, this team has proven it can be competitive at 80 million, are you really going to be THAT mad that we can't go out and trade for "big name guys" like Garrett Atkins? There really aren't a ton of viable options out there, so it goes without saying that they will make one or two moves for filler and go out there and compete.

We see free agent bust after free agent bust on every team.

as fans we have no one to blame but our selves, everyone complains but no one goes to games. I mean our attendance is some of the worst in the league. I try to make it to a game or two a year but living out of state makes it hard. If we had more ticket sales the payroll would rise
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby MickS » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:18 pm

The pessimists will read doom and disaster into every quote no matter how benign. Plus, Paul Hoynes is a hack of the first order. He might possibly be the laziest sports journalist in the entire industry. He'll either state the obvious or make up some irrelevant shit to fill his column. Read him at your own risk.
MickS
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:10 am

MickS wrote:The pessimists will read doom and disaster into every quote no matter how benign. Plus, Paul Hoynes is a hack of the first order. He might possibly be the laziest sports journalist in the entire industry. He'll either state the obvious or make up some irrelevant shit to fill his column. Read him at your own risk.

Mick, I do not believe that is true. I have heard he is a legend at the free food buffet served to the press and is able to have thirds before many writers can get their first helping. That takes work, doesn't it? :s_thumbsup
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:38 am

I still think you're gonna see the payroll jump up to $85M and possibly closer to $90M. They have more money now that STO is finally making some money (any new venture takes a few years to do this). The stadium naming rights also help.

I read the not pulling back from the end of the season as we're going to go about the business as we would any other year.....which has included payroll increases of multiple millions every year since 2003.....I expect similar trends this year. Heck, if CC would have agreed to an $18M deal we'd be looking at $90M anyways likely. Shapiro/Dolan woulnd't have offered that if they weren't gonna be able to afford it.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:38 am

we get 4 mil from naming I remember, but I am curious how about bgi a profit STO makes. I know here in NYC the YES network, which the yankees own, used to make enough to cover the entire payrol, it is a bigger market I know. But on the other hand STO is now all over OHIO, I would think it should make a nice amount of money for an organization, but at the end of the day I still think being in the bottom 5 in attedance will be used as an excuse why payrol does not increase.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:55 am

People love ripping on Dolan for being a terrible owner and stuff. But the one thing he does know is TV. I'm not sure how much money exactly STO is making, but it's the one ventrue that Dolan has had success in and where he's made a lot of his fortune.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Duane Kuiper » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:28 pm

Hermie13 wrote:I still think you're gonna see the payroll jump up to $85M and possibly closer to $90M.

For 2009? You're dreaming. The economy stinks. Revenue is down everywhere. What makes you think it won't be down for the Indians?
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:37 pm

The 40-man payroll for 2009 is already at about $69M. So unless we're only adding one player at around $6M (ie, Hoffman) then the payroll will be over $75M. Adding Valverde and Wigginton for example puts us over $80M. Adding a starting pitcher on top of that even at only $7M puts us over $85M and closer to $90M.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:24 pm

I dont see them adding that much though I think its sitting at 69 and will go up to 80 max 85. They wont add two expensive BP guys, an SP, and and IF. I expect one of those positions if not two to be retreads or cheapier players
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:50 pm

I don't think they'll add 2 expensive bullpen guys either. But one at around $6M, an infielder, and SP isn't out of the question......
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:24 pm

I think the 40 man payroll is irrelevant for what you are talking about. The 25 man is important when comparing active rosters. Tony did some great work on this that you might want to review.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:26 am

The 40-man roster is important since westbrook makes $10M and isn't gonna be on the 25-man roster. These are all the ML contracts and are what needs to be included if you want to accurately rate how much we're spending this year.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:48 pm

Heres the big issue right now I dont see our payroll increasing much if at all. Lets look at baseball right now, Abreu was supposed to be a shoo in for arb and the yanks rather than risk him staying passed rather than get an extra pick. Krod is now looking at about 11 mil a year for only 3 years. The economy impact is huge right now. A person like Dolan who has lost a lot in the stock market is going to have even more issues spending. I really think spending in general outside of the big names will be way way down. I think with the recession in general a lot of teams are trying to not spend a lot in such an unsure setting
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:50 pm

other big names not offer arb out of economic fear Adam Dunn, Kerry Wood, trevor hoffman
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:55 am

Unless the Tribe adds no one this winter, our payroll will go up. $6M is all we really have to add to increase it from the end of the season.....and I'd be shocked if we don't add double that....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors