RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Uggla or Cantu?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Uggla or Cantu?

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:48 am

endlesssleeper wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:I still stick with Beltre as the best choice but Boston media is reporting that the Red Sox and the Indians are discussing a trade centered around Kelly Shoppach and Mike Lowell. It appears that the deal is being talked about in the context of the Red Sox signing Texeira. According to one of the sources, the hangup is that Boston wants to pick up a portion of Lowell's salary and the Indians want players instead. Not sure how I feel about this particular deal. Lowell is a professional in every sense of the word but his offense benefits greatly from fenway from what I see. However, if the transaction were to include one of Boston's young relievers, I might be more enthusiastic. Of course, the fact is the Boston media is completely full of shit may color my opinion as well.

Do you have a link for any of this??

Couple of places, think the latest was LGT fanpost. No need to shout!!!!!!!!!!
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:02 am

jellis wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:I still stick with Beltre as the best choice but Boston media is reporting that the Red Sox and the Indians are discussing a trade centered around Kelly Shoppach and Mike Lowell. It appears that the deal is being talked about in the context of the Red Sox signing Texeira. According to one of the sources, the hangup is that Boston wants to pick up a portion of Lowell's salary and the Indians want players instead. Not sure how I feel about this particular deal. Lowell is a professional in every sense of the word but his offense benefits greatly from fenway from what I see. However, if the transaction were to include one of Boston's young relievers, I might be more enthusiastic. Of course, the fact is the Boston media is completely full of shit may color my opinion as well.

I hate the deal, if it has any truth. I just dont trust lowell to stay healthy at all and really didnt like what I say from him last year.

Not sure I understand your last sentence. I am not coming off Beltre but Lowell might be a whole lot better than some other names that have been bandied about here. His defense is still quite good and his offensive stats are reasonable. I haven't bothered to check any offensive splits, which isn't my thing, but the impression I have is his batting stoke is more suited to fenway than other stadiums, including the Jake. What I would really like is to get into Boston's pitchers or one of their better prospects as part of the deal. :s_yahoo
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:35 am

I agree we better get more than lowell, my earlier thought was I just wasnt a huge fan of when he did play last year. His 2007 seemed like a mirage year and not the norm. I just think he is a ok but not great hitter, an excellent defender, and a guy who gets hurt a lot
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:40 am

Only way I take on all of Lowell's $24M remaining is if Masterson AND Bard are included in the deal (give them Francisco and Shoppach, maybe a lower prospect or one of our lefties not named Lee as well).

I'd rather get Beltre as the price per year is the same and plays better D. Also doesn't have the health risk.

Uggla is still a better choice though. Still think we may be in on Roberts as well.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:44 am

Hermie13 wrote:Only way I take on all of Lowell's $24M remaining is if Masterson AND Bard are included in the deal (give them Francisco and Shoppach, maybe a lower prospect or one of our lefties not named Lee as well).

I'd rather get Beltre as the price per year is the same and plays better D. Also doesn't have the health risk.

Uggla is still a better choice though. Still think we may be in on Roberts as well.....

Only on planet hermie! Thought from earlier posts that if you won gold glove in 2005 you were defensive god for life. My bad! Oh, I bet the sox would jump on Francisco! That goes down in the brilliant idea HOF. How about Dellucci or Marte or Barfield as long as you are throwing up crap that are farfetched! Let's demand Papilbon for Dellucci while we are at it. Or we could demand that we trade 2B as well. They will love Barfield.

I think you may have missed ARod and Pujols whichwe MAY be in on as well.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:48 am

The point was that it's not happening; hence why you ask for way too much. And the Red Sox actually could really use Francisco. They need a 4th outfielder now that they've traded Crisp, and Francisco would be a great pickup for them (a lot cheaper and healthier than a guy like Baldelli who they are rumored to be looking at).

I bet the Tribe did ask for at least one of the two guys I mentioned, which would explain why the Red Sox aren't biting.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:42 pm

nah I think it was a bogus rumor, cause they are rumoring every C avaible for them in the media. Yes I just made up the word rumoring. Bos has enough players though dont need a 4th OF or a meh 4 or 5 guy, you cant trade lesser stuff to boston since they are so loaded
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:12 pm

Hermie13 wrote:The point was that it's not happening; hence why you ask for way too much. And the Red Sox actually could really use Francisco. They need a 4th outfielder now that they've traded Crisp, and Francisco would be a great pickup for them (a lot cheaper and healthier than a guy like Baldelli who they are rumored to be looking at).

I bet the Tribe did ask for at least one of the two guys I mentioned, which would explain why the Red Sox aren't biting.

What? Your opening sentence is one of the most absurd comments I have ever read. Did you come through the looking glass? :s_wacko
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TheWord » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:54 pm

Let's not forget the Matt Cain trade proposal to try and bring Omar back.
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:04 am

indianinkslinger wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:The point was that it's not happening; hence why you ask for way too much. And the Red Sox actually could really use Francisco. They need a 4th outfielder now that they've traded Crisp, and Francisco would be a great pickup for them (a lot cheaper and healthier than a guy like Baldelli who they are rumored to be looking at).

What? Your opening sentence is one of the most absurd comments I have ever read. Did you come through the looking glass? :s_wacko

What are you talking about? So you basically just said that the Lowell to Cleveland and paying all of his salary is a good idea? Yeah, and I'm the crazy one :s_no
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:04 am

TheWord wrote:Let's not forget the Matt Cain trade proposal to try and bring Omar back.

??
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:

What are you talking about? So you basically just said that the Lowell to Cleveland and paying all of his salary is a good idea? Yeah, and I'm the crazy one :s_no

I neither said nor implied anything of the sort! I said that your sentence was ridiculous, whatever it meant. Why is it that you have to lie and misrepresent my postings so consistently. Just like your incredibly ignorant post that I was supporting Atkins when a few inches above your post, I said I was in favor of Beltre as a target. Now try to distort this, I am in favor of kicking the tires on Sanchez rather than the other options listed here, including your absurd representations of Castillo who is untradeable except to you. :s_bomb
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:13 pm

Here's how the quotes/posts have gone......

I said said that a trade for Lowell with us paying all of his remaing $24M wasn't going to happen. If someone wanted us to, we should ask for 2 very solid pitchers in return (Masterson and Bard). Notice I said ask, not that it would ever happen. I was saying we should do this, because we're not dumb enough to take on all of Lowell's salary unless this is the case.

That is a valid arguement.

You then say that it makes no sense. Ok, how exactly does that not make sense? and actually give me a reason, not that it's just a 'ridiuclous sentence'.

Only thing that makes any sense from your reply is that you think we should pay Lowell all his salary, otherwise my statement isn't ridiculous at all.

I'm not lying at all here or misinterpretting your posts constantly. I wasn't referring to just you about Atkins, it was a general statement to all the people saying that we should get Atkins (people have been saying it since May).

And when you say Sanchez, are you talkign about Gaby Sanchez from the Marlins? Would make no sense for us as we're already more than set at 1B/DH.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:48 pm

Report out now is that Cantu could be headed to San Francisco in a deal for Jonathon Sanchez (lefty starter with big upside, but inconsitencies).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:45 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Report out now is that Cantu could be headed to San Francisco in a deal for Jonathon Sanchez (lefty starter with big upside, but inconsitencies).

I liked Sanchez a lot of K's for a lefty but he does give up a lot of hits, hes very much a daniel cabera type of pitcher
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:57 pm

If that deal goes down I wonder if another Marlins deal will be on the way....that'll give them 6 starters (Nolasco, Johnson, Volstad, A. Sanchez, Andrew Miller, and then J. Sanchez).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Previous

Return to Beyond The Minors