RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Valverde, Wigginton, and the Astros....again

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Valverde, Wigginton, and the Astros....again

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:56 pm

Found this on an Astros message board and found it interesting:

[i]Did anyone hear the the rumor on 790 the Sports Animal yesterday about Valverde/Wigginton to the Indians for Andy Marte and two prospects? They were talking about how these prospects would be packaged with Hunter Pence to the Padres for Jake Peavy.

Did anyone else hear this? I think it was just another trade idea from one of the on air guys rather than an actual rumor.

Depending on the prospects that we got back from the Indians, I would do that in a heart beat if they were Aaron Laffey and Adam Miller. I wouldn't mind if the Astros held onto these two guys rather than flip them. [i]

wow, Valverde and Wigginton for Marte and 2 prospects? Unless these are two top 5 prospects, I'd do it. Even Miller and Laffey would work. We've basically got 3 other 'Laffeys' in Sowers, Huff, and Scott Lewis. Losing one isn't gonna hurt that bad. And while Miller looks primed for a spot in the backend of the pen....his injury concerns make him tradeable in my eyes. Don't think anyone would lose sleep over losing Marte.

I'd think if the Astros were planning on flipping the 2 prospects they'd want Francisco in the deal to replace Pence (who would likely go to the Padres) in RF....or maybe Gutierrez.

Probably just another bogus rumor.....but interesting nevertheless....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Valverde, Wigginton, and the Astros....again

Postby jellis » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:16 pm

I think its BS, but the reason is flipping the specs plus pence for peavy makes it bogus. Peavy doesnt want to play in HOU. Its a horrible park, for pitching and not on his accepted list. I think you have to serious consider the deal though I will admit I am still loath to part with miller. If Hour is willing to move pence that is who I would target on that team, and thats always why I think its not true, is i dont see them moving Pence.

Still a nice find though hermie
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:38 pm

Is there anything in the responses on the Stros board confirming that other people heard the same thing?
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:34 pm

jellis wrote:I think its BS, but the reason is flipping the specs plus pence for peavy makes it bogus. Peavy doesnt want to play in HOU. Its a horrible park, for pitching and not on his accepted list. I think you have to serious consider the deal though I will admit I am still loath to part with miller. If Hour is willing to move pence that is who I would target on that team, and thats always why I think its not true, is i dont see them moving Pence.

Still a nice find though hermie

I thought Houston was on his list originally (may not be now though after he updated it).....remember a few rumors on some sites about the Astros not having enough implying they were on his list. It's also not that bad a park for pitching, pretty average actually (park factor, which I hate, isn't too hitter heavy). Righties do well there with the shorter RF fence distance, but LF is normal and CF is one of the deepest in all of baseball. Oswalt has pitched well there, and Peavy could decide he wants to go there. Adding him to that team could put them in the playoffs with a few other nice moves.

And the Pence part was speculation on the fan I believe, not the radio station that aired the rumor. Just don't see much that the Astros have to part with....unless they part with Bourn maybe and hope that's enough? Doubtful though.

I don't see this trade happening as is either....but I can see a fit with Houston and then maybe the Padres. Padres coudl use a catcher....maybe parting with Shoppach (instead of Miller) could do the trick as well (going to Houston then onto the Padres).....but again, just thoughts.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:35 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Is there anything in the responses on the Stros board confirming that other people heard the same thing?

Some said yes...it was on a radio broadcast down there. Now was this just a random guy saying it or based off something? I don't know that and the Astros fans weren't too sure either.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors