RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2009 Draft pick thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

2009 Draft pick thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:40 pm

I figured I'd start a thread to discuss the Indians first round pick in 2009.

With the Indians losing on the final day and the D'Backs winnings, the Indians will pick 14th overall in 2009. This obviously means that they can't lose their first round pick as compensation for signing a free agent (top 15 picks protected) and I figured there would be guys on this board more familiar with the type of guys that might be available to draft than I am (Dennis, Indiansinklinger, etc).

Thoughts?
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Re: 2009 Draft pick thread

Postby petes999 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:26 pm

Remember that Crow did not sign with Washington this past year thus they get an additional 10th pick in the 1st round including the 1st overall pick due to worst record. Thus, we get 15th pick.

I haven't read too much since mid-season, yet somewhere it said that the middle of the 1st round will be below average due to lack of college talent. Thus, we may want to go after a high school pitcher ...

It is too early to know. Yet, we do have some good pitchers coming up, thus this may not be an immediate need at the college level (yet we should wait to see how this year draft crop proceeds). We have a lack of outfielders at younger levels (Greenwell and Fedroff). We have good catchers and finally some infielders (especially 3rd base). Maybe another 2nd baseman to pair up with Phelps.
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:24 pm

Unlike football and basketball where early draft picks are looked upon or expected to make quick impact for a team, baseball picks generally take a few seasons before making an impact.

The team will likely take the best talent is can find, regardless of the position, so that down the road you either have a player that is a big help to the team or depth for making a move to get a needed player.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dnosco » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:39 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:I figured I'd start a thread to discuss the Indians first round pick in 2009.

With the Indians losing on the final day and the D'Backs winnings, the Indians will pick 14th overall in 2009. This obviously means that they can't lose their first round pick as compensation for signing a free agent (top 15 picks protected) and I figured there would be guys on this board more familiar with the type of guys that might be available to draft than I am (Dennis, Indiansinklinger, etc).

Thoughts?

First, as was said, it is way too early to think about guys. That being said, let's look back at who, in the fall of 2007, were the top 10 HS and college prospects for the 2008 draft:

College: Pedro Alvarez, Aaron Crow, Justin Smoak, Brian Matusz, Yonder Alonso, Christian Friedrich, Brett Hunter, Jacob Thompson, Dennis Raben, Brandon Crawford

High School: Tim Melville, Tim Beckham, Harold Martinez, Eric Hosmer, Alex Meyer, Kyle Lobstein, Kyle Skipworth, Gerrit Cole, Aaron Hicks

Looking at how they ended up being drafted the HS guys were more fluid than the college guys who, at least in the top 5 were pretty solid. It points out, however, that a guy like Melville always slips and, in fact, Boras clients slip. So, you can probably count on 1 or 2 of the HS guys to slip a little which is where the Indians should focus their attention. Mirabelli, I think, said they didn't scout the first 10 guys very heavily. If true that was a big mistake. They need to scout the first 30 guys heavily. Depending on what they do in free agency there is a great chance that they could fill their first second and third round picks with guys just from that early top 30.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:09 pm

I have not seen nearly as many of the college players this year as last, but I have seen several of the HS players. BA has a decent list although I would disagree with some placement other than the two lefties at the top. There is a lot of time until the draft but based upon what I have seen, 3B Matt Donaldson would be a real nice pick at 14. He can stay at 3B and has a fast bat with a real good load. Among the college players, I really have taken a good look at two, Strasburg and Green, but no others. Like Purdy and Matzyk, they will be long gone by 14. I liked the approach this year which was brilliant. Take the big droppers later in the draft and hope you can sign them. Safety first in the early rounds. Quick signings the last two years have been a real benefit to the team and its 1st rounders. :roll:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk