Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Indians Minor League Free Agents

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Indians Minor League Free Agents

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:29 am

I'll have an actual posting of this on the site tomorrow, but am posting here now (I'll also have a small FAQ explaining MLFA eligibility and all that):

Note: This is an unofficial list as the official list will not be released by the Commissioner’s office until October 16th.

Pitchers (9): T.J. Burton (RHP), Eddie Buzachero (RHP), Matt Ginter (RHP), John Halama (LHP), Jeff Harris (RHP), Juan Lara (LHP), Preston Larrison (RHP), J.D. Martin (RHP) Jeff Weaver (RHP)

Catchers (3): Armando Camacaro, Damaso Espino, Yamid Haad

First basemen (1): Matt Whitney

Second Basemen (2): Andy Cannizaro, Brandon Chaves

Shortstops (1): Niuman Romero

Third Basemen (2): Morgan Ensberg, Tony Graffanino,

Outfielders (5): Jason Cooper, Andy Gonzalez, Todd Linden, Nathan Panther, Bronson Sardinha
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: 2009 Minor League Free Agents

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:34 am

The only three guys of value the Indians stand a chance of losing are Martin, Whitney, and Romero. Martin I believe gets rostered, so that trumps MLFA. Will be interesting to see what happens with Whitney and Romero. Whitney I think stays, but not sure about Romero.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Indians Minor League Free Agents

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am

Like you said Tony, not a whole lot to really worry about on that list.

Also like you said, i hope Martin gets rostered to trump his MiL FA, if not then he's gone for good.

Whitney is definately not a guy you roster, but I hope he feels some loyalty to the Indians after they've stuck with him through all the injuries and re-signs a minor league deal to come back. That said, if he's got any common sense about him he'll look around the organisation and realise he probably doesn't have much of a shot of making the majors with the Tribe at 1B so would probably be better off signing elsewhere.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:15 am

I think there is a good chance Whitney comes back based on these comments....but as always there is always a chance he goes elsewhere:

Whitney Late August Interview

"It was crazy," said Whitney about his experience on draft day in the Rule 5 Draft. "I got a call out of the blue from my dad and he was like 'you got picked up by the Nationals' and my mom was going crazy. It was awesome as I got a chance to enjoy the big league spring training experience. There were a ton of guys in camp for [the Nationals], and it was fun to see how they go about their business and talk to them about different things. And coming back to the Indians, if I had to go anywhere else I wanted to come back here because I am comfortable with all the coordinators and coaches here."
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:38 am

Consigliere wrote:I think there is a good chance Whitney comes back based on these comments....but as always there is always a chance he goes elsewhere:

Whitney Late August Interview

"It was crazy," said Whitney about his experience on draft day in the Rule 5 Draft. "I got a call out of the blue from my dad and he was like 'you got picked up by the Nationals' and my mom was going crazy. It was awesome as I got a chance to enjoy the big league spring training experience. There were a ton of guys in camp for [the Nationals], and it was fun to see how they go about their business and talk to them about different things. And coming back to the Indians, if I had to go anywhere else I wanted to come back here because I am comfortable with all the coordinators and coaches here."

hes saying the right things, but I would not be surprised to see him go if he can make it to the majors he had a so so year in AA
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:10 pm

I expect the Indians to resign him. He'll fit in nicely with the Columbus club where he can split time at DH/1B and be Hodges' backup at 3B.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:32 am

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2 ... n-and.html

The Indians minor league free agent list just got a little smaller as they signed catcher Damaso Espino and shortstop Andy Cannizaro a few days ago. Espino will likely be the backup catcher at either Triple-A Columbus or Double-A Akron, and Cannizaro could be the starting shortstop at Triple-A Buffalo since Josh Rodriguez may start the season in Akron and/or play more second base. Also, 2008 Triple-A Buffalo hitting coach Dave Myers and Mental Skills Coordinator John Couture have not been rehired for the 2009 season.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby endlesssleeper » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:09 pm

Does anyone know anything about Juan Lara's health at this point? It has been a while since I have heard any updates.
endlesssleeper
Draft Prospect

Postby npc29 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:58 pm

Juan Lara's career is probably over, but it would be nice to get an update on how he's doing. Haven't heard much since the Indians took care of him financially.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:58 pm

No idea on Lara. I'm sure some news will come forth at some point this spring. Indians at this point are not really talking about it, probably moreso to keep the matter private for Lara as he heals.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:30 am

Yeah from what I've read about his injuries, if he's able to live a normal life after that he should be happy. Pitching should be an afterthought....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:11 pm

Juan Lara News:

One of my favorite stories this season was how the Indians treated Juan Lara after his accident in the Dominican Republic. Any news on how his recovery is progressing? Will he ever pitch again?
-- Martin W., Painesville, Ohio

I wouldn't expect a return to baseball, but, more importantly, in the words of head athletic trainer Lonnie Soloff, "Juan has come a long way." He has made a remarkable recovery, given the severity of his accident.

According to Soloff, Lara is back in the Dominican Republic, where he is rehabilitating. He is scheduled to have a follow-up CT scan on his cervical spine in December to ensure that he is healing properly. If he is, he will be cleared to engage in higher level cardiovascular and weight training.

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/a ... p&c_id=cle
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:15 pm

good news!
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Indians Prospect Talk