RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Is Hafner done? What to do at DH for 09?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Is Hafner done? What to do at DH for 09?

Postby GhostofTedCox » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:27 pm

I'm confident the Indians can find another infielder next year.
I'm confident they can find a veteran starter, or even an acceptable closer, (although I think Jensen Lewis opened some eyes with his work).

But I have no idea what to do at DH. Hafner has shown no real improvement this year. If he doesn't get his swing back in spring training, can we go into the season with a hole in the lineup? What to do? Just play Hafner and let him struggle? Hire a Matt Stairs - Russell Branyon type? Where's Julio Franco?
I'm open for ideas. :?:
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Is Hafner done? What to do at DH for 09?

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:36 am

Hafner is the DH next year. No one will take on his contract, and the Indians are not going to eat it. So unless he gets hurt in spring training, he is the opening day DH. And I'd rather have Hafner anyday over a Stair/Branyan type. At worst, that is what Hafner is now. We need to see what he can do if he comes back healthy.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:22 am

I think we can wait a few months and see how he does. As TL says, that is a large contract to eat, especially for a franchise that might be eating Dellucci's contract and could easily be faced with declining attendance next year no matter how good they are.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:32 pm

Pronk is the DH, no one will want to acquire him. Its job for the next 2 years, we can hope he bounces back but I think hes done with the near all star levels
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Return to Beyond The Minors