Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Cruz and Affeldt

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Cruz and Affeldt

Postby Jake Taylor » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:47 pm

From Ken Rosenthal:

"Which is why three highly regarded relievers — righty Juan Cruz and lefties Jeremy Affeldt and Joe Beimel — could be among the first free agents to sign new contracts.

The Indians are mulling whether to enter the closer market or perhaps try to lock up both Cruz and Affeldt."

h ttp://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/87979 ... avy-talks-

Truthfully, I'm much more interested in Cruz than I would be in Trevor Hoffman... whether he'd be the closer or not.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Re: Cruz and Affeldt

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:53 pm

I really like Cruz too. We need a strikeout guy in that pen. Yeah Cruz will walk some guys, but still a great backend guy to have. Affeldt has some closer experience and would add a lefty to the pen to take some pressure off Perez.

Still would like to see a vet closer like Hoffman added....but Cruz and a lefty (affeldt or Shouse) would be nice as well.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:58 pm

only have place for one arm in the pen and anyone who thinks Beimel in high reguard doesnt know baseball, very low era but let almost half of all inherited bases runners in scoring position score
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Jake Taylor » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:38 pm

Affeldt just signed a two-year deal with the Giants, so he's out.

Cruz is still out there, and the one that should be targeted.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:38 am

jellis wrote:only have place for one arm in the pen and anyone who thinks Beimel in high reguard doesnt know baseball, very low era but let almost half of all inherited bases runners in scoring position score

Actually there's likely to be 2 spots open in the pen....possibly 3.

Only gurantees are JLewis, Perez, Betancourt, and Kobayashi (Shapiro's very words).

Figure Mujica will get one being out of options....maybe Jackson (though one could easily be traded or Mujica could be optioned). Meloan I bet starts at AAA along with Miller.

I do agree on Beimel....but still a decent enough lefty. Not the guy you want to bring in with guys on base though for sure though.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Duane Kuiper » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:51 pm

jellis wrote:only have place for one arm in the pen and anyone who thinks Beimel in high reguard doesnt know baseball, very low era but let almost half of all inherited bases runners in scoring position score

Overall he wasn't that bad

% IR scored
Beimel 33.3%
R Perez 31.8%
Betancourt 36.4%
Masa 43.8%
Mujica 33.3%
Lewis 35.3%

Rincon 83.3% :s_shout
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:59 pm

I wonder how Affeldt's contract will affect the price tag for middle relievers this year. Though it shouldn't matter that much for Cruz, because it's likely he'll look for a deal similar to Linebrink's.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:15 pm

affeldt got what I expect if he got 4 I think, cruz will ask for 6 for 3 or 4
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:38 am

jellis wrote:affeldt got what I expect if he got 4 I think, cruz will ask for 6 for 3 or 4

Cruz won't gett 6 for 3 or 4. My guess is 3yrs/$14M and an option for a 4th. Linebrink got 4yr/$19M, but with the economy being in the crapper and the fact that Cruz hasn't had the career of Linebrink, don't think he gets quite what Linebrink got......but we'll see.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors