Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Mike MacDougal

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Mike MacDougal

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:03 am

Mike MacDougal was outrighted to AAA by the White Sox the other day. Has struggled some over the past few years but can still run that fastball up there in the mid to upper 90s. Would be a nice shapiro-like addition to this club. Cheap but could help out, especially if our search for a closer comes up empty....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Mike MacDougal

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:13 pm

No thanks. I am tired of these kind of acquisitions. Just go with the young guys. We have 3-4 good RHed relief options who should be stashed in Buffalo this year.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:26 pm

I'm a bit tired of them too, but many reports suggest the Tribe will be adding a couple vets to the pen. Seems like a decent one as he's under contract for next year (owed $2.65M by the White Sox). Grabbing him off waivers only costs us the ML minimum in salary (does take a 40-man roster spot though).

I don't know about 'good' RHed relief options. Miller still needs to prove he can stay healthy. Mastny is just a depth guy at this point who has no getup on his fastball. Stevens is still unproven. Meloan I do really like though. Mujica is gonna be in Cleveland....but don't think many people would lose sleep if we cut him for MacDougal....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:39 pm

Yes, Indians are going to add a vet or two, but these should be guys who can actually still perform and you have a good idea that they can help us next year. MacDougal would be another one of those throw against the wall and hope he sticks guy we typically have signed in the past.....no thanks. I am for bringing him in spring training I guess, but if he doesn't make the team cut him. No sense in having him in Buffalo taking tims away from more valuable arms.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:01 pm

I agree with that last statement, though it is nice to have some vets in the minors for a callup if needed. MacDougal did ok this year in his brief stint with the Sox. WHIP was pretty high but didn't allow a ton of runs and had an 'ok' BAA of .250.

Again, not saying he's anyone's ideal candidate....but could be a decent low-risk move...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:13 pm

I wonder if he could ever recover if he had a good pitching coach, he seems like the perfect guy for STL and Duncan
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:41 pm

Don't you mean 'stashed in Columbus" Tony???
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:22 am

jellis wrote:I wonder if he could ever recover if he had a good pitching coach, he seems like the perfect guy for STL and Duncan

Willis isn't bad at all. First piching coach we've had that I've truly thought was worth anything.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:59 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:I wonder if he could ever recover if he had a good pitching coach, he seems like the perfect guy for STL and Duncan

Willis isn't bad at all. First piching coach we've had that I've truly thought was worth anything.

I dont know though, why is it all our pitchers have to go to AAA to get there heads on straight. I just dont see any improvement from any of our pitchers once they hit the majors. I will say I really hope they call up Radinsky to be the bullpen coach next year, I think hes done a great job in AAA. Including helping the head games of pitchers like Carmona and Lee after there major struggles
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:48 pm

Lee was bad even when he came back from AAA last year. Not saying Radinsky is bad, but Willis is one of the better pitching coaches in the game right now.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors