RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Randy Johnson

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Randy Johnson

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:49 pm

I know his name has been brought up before, but Randy Johnson is now officially going to free agency and is 'highly unlikely' to resign with D'backs.

They reportedly only were gonna offer around $4M for him.....he reportedly wants $10M.

I think I'd take a chance on him for 1yr and around $7-8M with incentives up to $10M. Has postseason experience and can still bring it, and only twice since 2004 has he not thrown 180 innings. His ERA+ hasn't been below 90 (and only once below 100) since his rookie season.

He's also only 5 wins from 300. Could help bring some more fans to the seats as he gets closer to that prestigous 300 win club (and if Mussina retires...may be the last one for a very long time).

Also interesting to note, the Tribe's new spring training facility is only a 45 minute drive from Johnson's home outside of Phoenix......
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Randy Johnson

Postby jellis » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:53 pm

actually not a bad idea for the number 3 role if he struggles in the second half he could always at worst maybe swing to a pen guy where I think he could still be very scary
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:41 pm

I'd take a look at the Big Unit. Not for near $10M, but something with incentives. We need a #3 SP until Westbrook comes back.
The big bullet we have available for a trade would be Shoppach. I think it would be easier to get a starting infielder for him, rather than a SP.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:16 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/ind ... ney_buster

interesting article from olney it might be a LOT harder this year to sign a mid level type of pitcher as the effects of the economy are already hitting baseball
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:28 am

FWIW, I think you guys have hit on a pretty good idea. Not sure it would make the bitchers happy but little does. I like the fact that he is a B versus Hoffman who is an A. Even with all his physical problems, and there are many, Randy Johnson comes to play. He is a competitor of the first order. Might be tough to put this one together but I like it.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:01 am

Not a big deal for anyone being a type A free agent as our first round pick is protected. We could sign Texeira or CC and not lose our first round pick (lose our 2nd).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors