Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Herb Score dead at 75.....

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Herb Score dead at 75.....

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:14 pm

I'm sure many of you have seen this, but figured I'd post anyways.

Herb Score (long time announcer and 1955 Rookie of the Year) died this morning at the age of 75 in his home in Rocky River. Been battling illness and been rough since that car crash 10 years.

Great Indian and great man, will be missed.

Win it for Herb in 2009!!!
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Herb Score dead at 75.....

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:41 pm

I grew up listening to Herb Score. The seasons came and went. The players came and went. His partners came and went. But Herb remained the constant. He wasn't the best announcer, and he certainly wasn't flashy. But his love of the game showed. To him, the game was always the story, not who told the story.

I never saw him pitch, but everybody knows that story of what could-have-been. A couple of years ago my son became acquainted with Herb. I had him show Herb a photo I had taken in Cooperstown of his ho-hit baseball that was on display. Herb seemed genuinely touched and surprised that a part of his career was still remembered in the Hall of Fame.

We'll miss you, Herb. My generation feels a little older today.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:14 pm

One of the greatest pitchers of all time if he doesnt get hurt, he numbers are amazing. I think he would have been in Koufax league of pitcher if not for the lien drive
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:20 pm

He and Addie Joss....both Tribe greats that had careers cut short. I too would have liked to have seen how he'd have pitched had he not gotten hurt. Phenominal rookie campaign.

My old priest (died this past winter ironically), was good friends with Herb. They shared a hospital room when Herb was in for his eye (talk about how things have changed over the years...no way does a pro athlete share a room with anyone). My priest took a racket ball to the eye the same day. They became friends and had dinner a few times a year (accordoing to my priest....who I'm pretty sure wasn't lying, lol). Said he was a truly great guy, very kind man as well.

There better be a whole weekend dedicated to him this summer (if not the whole season). Still have my 'Herb Score Card'...haven't filled it all out, might have to bust it out again in his memory....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors