Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Miller officially moved to pen....future closer?

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Miller officially moved to pen....future closer?

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:27 am

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2 ... n-and.html

Anthony Castrovince did a nice piece on right-hander Adam Miller this week on Indians.com. To summarize the article, Miller's stat line in the Dominican Republic so far (1-1, 6.48 ERA, 16.2 IP, 17 H, 4 BB, 12 K) is better than it looks and he is up to 97 MPH consistently. According to Farm Director Ross Atkins, Miller is set to get two to three more starts then will move to the bullpen out there for the remainder of his time before he comes home around Thanksgiving.

The Indians have officially committed to Miller in the bullpen next year, and that is where he will pitch from the outset of spring training. While he will be a longshot to win a job in Cleveland when camp breaks, it is likely he will be in Cleveland at some point next year provided he is healthy. This is good news though, and It is about time the Indians made this move which was long overdue. Miller has closing stuff, and is someone who could fill that role next year in Cleveland by season's end.

After seeing the success that the Cubs had with Kerry Wood in converting the oft-injured starter into a closer, the Indians obviously took notice and probably see Miller in much the same vein as Wood from a talent and medical perspective. Down the road Miller could move back to the rotation, but right now he impacts the Cleveland Indians the best in 2009 pitching out of the bullpen. This is going to be one of the top storylines to follow next spring and during the season. Just stay healthy Adam.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Miller officially moved to pen....future closer?

Postby jellis » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:20 pm

I read about the move like 1 or so online for the plain dealer or ABJ, at least the fact he will be moved to the pen not surprising hope he can get healthy. His arm would be a huge addition to our rotation in the future
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby npc29 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:56 pm

I just hope he makes some sort of impact in the pen next year at some point. I think we've waited long enough for him.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby gotribe31 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:25 pm

npc29 wrote:I just hope he makes some sort of impact in the pen next year at some point. I think we've waited long enough for him.

I know it seems like he's been around forever, but he's only 23.
gotribe31
Draft Prospect

Return to Indians Prospect Talk