Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Future dealings

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Future dealings

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:09 pm

Um, if we offered Shoppach straight up for Masterson the Red Sox would do it tomorrow (and I'd be livid). Indians need to use Shoppach for more.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Most Sox fans disagree with you there. Shoppach has had one good season.....same with Masterson. Don't see it working. Sox would be better off just paying Varitek and using Masterson in the pen or rotation.

I think we're gonna be slightly disappointed with what Shoppach gets us if traded. Teams will use that disgusting K-rate against the Indians. And the fact that he couldn't throw anyone out on the bases this year.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:18 pm

I think Masterson could be a heck of a pen guy, I am very impressed by him and think hes a guy who can dominate out of the pen
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby toledobuck » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:42 am

Masterson + Delcarmen for Shoppach may be a better trade option for Shoppach but I was hopeing Shoppach would be part of a larger trade that would help net us a decent #3 starter.
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby MickS » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:44 am

How about Shoppach, Gutierrez and a B list prospect to the Marlins for Ricky Nolasco?
MickS
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:21 am

No way we'd get both Delcarmen AND Masterson for Shoppach.

As far as that Nolasco deal.....They'd have to include more than just Nolasco for that deal to work. Shoppach for Nolasco straight up would be fair. Nolasco has only had 1 good ML season. He's still pretty unproven (and will be 26 on opening day, not super young). Maybe if they threw in Hermida that deal would make a bit more sense....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:13 pm

Hermie13 wrote:No way we'd get both Delcarmen AND Masterson for Shoppach.

As far as that Nolasco deal.....They'd have to include more than just Nolasco for that deal to work. Shoppach for Nolasco straight up would be fair. Nolasco has only had 1 good ML season. He's still pretty unproven (and will be 26 on opening day, not super young). Maybe if they threw in Hermida that deal would make a bit more sense....

in a shoppach for nolasco deal the marlins would be the team to blink first, young SP is the most valuable thing in the game
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:00 am

He's not 'that' young though (will be 26 next season). Reason they wouldn't do it is because they really like Baker who caught for them in the second half. Not a power guy like Shoppach (they don't need more power really), but nice OBP.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TheWord » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:14 pm

Hermie13 wrote:No way we'd get both Delcarmen AND Masterson for Shoppach.

You pretty much described Shoppach, one good year, not that young.

We're overrating Shop far too much. Dude strikes out far too much and probably peaked LAST YEAR. Trade him while you can before his value goes down, but if I'm the Marlins I don't even look at just Shoppach for Nolasco.
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:37 pm

Like I said, they have another option at catcher so they'd probably pass on Shoppach...but they may take a look. They have 6 young starting pitchers right now (though Olsen is the one likely to get dealt). Nolasco is about their 4th starter......I'd trade my 4th starter for a starting catcher.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:26 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Like I said, they have another option at catcher so they'd probably pass on Shoppach...but they may take a look. They have 6 young starting pitchers right now (though Olsen is the one likely to get dealt). Nolasco is about their 4th starter......I'd trade my 4th starter for a starting catcher.....

he was there best pitcher last year I think there is zero chance in them taking shop for nolasco
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:49 pm

Bard Penny if healthy could be that 3rd SP, just a year ago he was an all star and with the shoulder trouble could be cheap reminds me of the millwood situation
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:29 am

Yeah I think Penny or Garcia could easily be on the Tribe next year. Penny already got $2M from the Dodgers for his buyout. Offer him a $7-8M deal that has a clause similar to Milwood's (his signing bonus goes away with time on the DL). Only thing about Penny I don't like is he's an NL guy.....but on a 1year deal, he could be a steal....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:40 pm

With the Dodgers turning down Penny's option they are basically saying they don't think he's worth $5m (the difference between his option and the buyout).

If they don't think he's worth $5m then surely there's a massive red flag there about his health and possibly his work ethic (if you believe some reports).
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:52 pm

The difference between Penny's option and buyout was $7.25M, not just $5M.....

The option was $9.25M and the buyout was $2M.

They also want to save some money to try and bring Manny back and possibly make a run at CC.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:23 pm

Hermie13 wrote:The difference between Penny's option and buyout was $7.25M, not just $5M.....

The option was $9.25M and the buyout was $2M.

They also want to save some money to try and bring Manny back and possibly make a run at CC.

You may well be right, I was going from Rotoworlds numbers.

Still, the LA Times made mention in a recent article that some Dodger officials didn't think he was that hurt down the stretch.... apparantly some in the LA front office feel his poor performance was more due to bad work ethic than bad shoulder.

Hey, that's all hearsay, but still a massive red flag in my mind.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:39 am

Didn't read that though it's possible. I know the Dodgers FO was frustrated that his injury took longer than they thought to heal, but that happens a lot (see Hafner for us). Penny seemed like he wanted to come back but the Dodgers were the ones keeping him off the mound.

He's definately a risk.....but he'll be cheaper than most other options out there (and won't cost any players/prospects).....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Previous

Return to Beyond The Minors