RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Kendrick or Figgins?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Kendrick or Figgins?

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:08 pm

Tribe can really use help on the IF. There was the rumor about Teahen....which may or may not be a total 'lie'.

Both Howie Kendrick and Chone Figgins have had rumors about getting traded this winter. Figgins to Chicago for Konerko (if they don't resign Tex) and Kendrick in a deal to Colorado for Atkins.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on getting one (or heaven forbid both) of these guys. Figgins is a free agent after 2009 (arbitration eligible this year) and Kenrick is entering his first year of arbitration (I believe).

Figure the Angels could use an OFer if they don't bring back Anderson (Guerrero will likely DH a lot and Willits took a huge step back). Rotation could use some work with Garland becoming a free agent, and they could use some more power.

Not the most likely trade partners, but we could probably work something out. Give them Laffey/Huff and some prospects (maybe Barfield as well). LA could still work out a deal for Atkins or another big bat (depends if they want to use Wood at SS or 3B).

Thoughts or suggestions?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Kendrick or Figgins?

Postby MickS » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:46 pm

I think Laffey/Huff plus prospects is a whole lot more valuable than an aging Konerko. I think that's too much for what will (in Figgins case) be a 1 year rental. I haven't followed Kendrick but isn't the shine a little off that apple (again, I'm going to have to take a look at Howie's stats)
MickS
Draft Prospect

Re: Kendrick or Figgins?

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:30 am

Kendrick is a bit like Cano (minus the power). He hits for a high average...but OBP is just ok due to lack of walks. He's hit over .300 each of the last 2 seasons, but he hasn't played in over 100 games yet in the MLs due to injury. He's still young and should continue to develop. I think he's worth taking a chance on.

I'd give up Laffey for Figgins easy. We've got 4 guys (Sowers, S. Lewis, Laffey, and Huff) that all seem like #4 left handed starters. Figgins and his ability to play LF, 2B, 3B, and even SS, plus leadoff would be a huge addition to this club. Plus, he's the type of player that we could probably sign to a 3-4 year deal if we wanted. He's not gonna go out and get $10M on the open market....he'll be due about $6M in arbitration (same as Blake got). I'd give him a 3 year deal worth $20M or around there (throw in an option too).

Don't see either player coming to Cleveland, but they'd definately help. If the Angels can't retain Tex....could Garko or Shoppach entice them perphaps?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors