RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Smoke Signals

It's not always about baseball and sports! Talk movies, TV, video games, music, politics, news and more here.

Smoke Signals

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:33 am

Tony..sorry for posting this way.. after attempting to post a comment using a google account, an AIM account etc.. all were rejected by the Blogger Security.. screw that.. The Comments can be posted anywhere on the IPI site.

April 4th Smoke Signals:

Good Morning Tony & Al... A few comments on the first in season Smoke Signals:

1. Knowing you only have 30 minutes to do the show versus sixty cuts out a lot of 'fan' interaction. MORE is needed.. The only mention that had to do with the fans (besides you two, of course) was "benedetto" from across the pond, paissano, during the LaPorta discussion. BTW, it's not put up of shut up time for anyone at this point..

2. Wins and Losses: are clearly for the less than casual fan or the feeble minded. Wanting to see progress.. is nice.. Do you measure progress with your progress measuring stick? or is it a tape?. Remember, this is a site designed for some of the more ardent or inteligent (alleged) fans. Using ubiquitous definitions such as "progress" isn't good enough.. imho..

3. Attendance: The biggest drum beater for the lack of attendance was the Plain Duller & Akron Beacon Urinal (who have now run two days worth of stories about how the first two games were losses) Sure, it's early in the season, it's cold and wet. Both you and Al seemed befuddled by what can be done to drive attendance.. To be honest, look at the program(s) that Mark Shapiro has laid out...look closely..very closely. The Indians have THEE MOST generous and cost friendly programs for attending games.

Perhaps a show with Mr Shapiro on the phone, an agenda of the programs, and an honest discussion could be arranged?.. just a suggestion.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Re: Smoke Signals

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Thanks....yeah the 30 minute block sucks. I hate it. Hard to get really into more than one thing. Unfortunately, unless I want to pay $1000+ a month, Blogtalk only allows a maximum of 30 minutes of programming a day for free. So until I find another alternative to BTR, the 30 minute weekly show is all we can do for now.

As for wins/losses and attendance, it is what it is I guess. I see no way to ever get over 2.5 million fans a year. Really sad if you ask me.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:15 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Thanks....yeah the 30 minute block sucks. I hate it. Hard to get really into more than one thing. Unfortunately, unless I want to pay $1000+ a month, Blogtalk only allows a maximum of 30 minutes of programming a day for free. So until I find another alternative to BTR, the 30 minute weekly show is all we can do for now.

What about doing a 2nd broadcast each week? In 1 show you would be able to do broadcast a short (pre-recorded) interview of about 10 -12 minutes and then a brief discussion afterward. In the other show you do 3 - 9 minute topics so you have time for an opening/ closing.

Just a thought.....
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby petes999 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:03 am

Or .... you have two websites and register them both with blogtalk and just have back-to-back shows. A bit of a pain for listeners to switch ... but maybe someone has an ingenious way of cross promoting where it is one click to listen to the 1st 1/2 hr and the link for the second 1/2 hr is right below and starts 1-2 minutes later?
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:05 pm

Good suggestions....but not really doable and quite confusing to the average listener. For now Paul and I are committed to the half hour gig until I can find a suitable replacement for BTR that allows us to do the show as-is and for the half hour.

One thing I may be doing this year from time to time is a half hour minor league show. I need to get the season going and see how everything works first as I have a lot more responsibilities with writing and such this year and am really extended. But I want to do figure out a way to do the minor league show show.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:48 am

Just listened for the first time this past week. Great stuff!
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Return to Entertainment Zone