RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Sugar

It's not always about baseball and sports! Talk movies, TV, video games, music, politics, news and more here.

Sugar

Postby Jake Taylor » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:02 pm

Incredible movie about a player's trek from the Dominican Republic to the minor leagues via Spring Training. With the love for the minor leagues around here, I figured this is a movie a lot of people would really appreciate. It's amazing what the life is like for these Central American players while they try to learn the language, learn the land, and learn about baseball all at once.

I highly recommend viewing it if you haven't already.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Re: Sugar

Postby JP_Frost » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:09 pm

Got it on DVD. Very good movie.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:34 am

Yeah, I caught parts of it on HBO at night while doing articles out in Goodyear. Will eventually sit down and watch the whole thing, but I asked Mirabelli the next day if what was told was true and he said it was pretty much dead on, especially what happens in latin america. Also interesting how when these guys get released how they go AWOL and no one ever finds them.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Jake Taylor » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:43 pm

It really proves how much of an awful and excruciating process it is for the coaches and the organizations to let these players go. A lot of these Dominican players don't know anything of life in the USA except baseball, and it's usually something they've been a part of since they were 16 years old. It really makes me appreciate how hard these teams work to integrate these players and try to help their lives, but it's hard knowing any of these guys lose their dream and future.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:32 am

The DVD actually has interviews with players like Pedro Martinez, Sammy Sosa (the black one, not the white one lol) and some others. They all attended the premiere (which was in Puerto Rico or the DR, can't remember) and all agreed it hit dead on.

Remember this film getting some of the best reviews from last year's Cleveland Film Festival. Great film making duo that also did Half Nelson (featuring Ryan Gosling's oscar nominated role).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:42 pm

I really enjoyed it, and the other thing it hit on for me is how an injury more or less equals death. That to succeed you have to stay health or your will be replaced
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Return to Entertainment Zone