RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Tribe re-signs Anthony Reyes

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Tribe re-signs Anthony Reyes

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:47 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ss ... _anth.html

Minor league deal with invite to spring training. The AAA rotation gets even more full possibly.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Tribe re-signs Anthony Reyes

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:02 pm

Coming back from elbow surgery and with his "professional career" in the balance.. Anthony Reyes needs a stable "go along to get along" season. Perhaps with some luck, he may be able to recapture what he had for the Cards in their World Series winning season... As a member of the Columbus Clippers AAA squad.. and the Indians penchant for resurrecting pitchers.. this is a good spot for him...

Good luck to Anthony...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:45 pm

Moving Espino and Berger to the pen doesn't bother me too much, as that's where they probably project best as players anyway. And Berger might be the left-handed relief depth the team needs. Pino probably won't end up in the pen, because injuries happen. White not moving up to AAA is probably distasteful to some here, but I think that'd be solved by mid-season when injuries and ineffectiveness take hold. Some might also not like Packer being "demoted", but I kinda viewed (partially by Tony's suggestion) that his starting at Akron was more because the org wanted the true starting prospects to be involved in the playoff pushes with the other teams in the org, and that Akron by end year was comprised of mostly throw-away players. Not that Packer doesn't have a future, it's just that in some regard, his promotion to AA wasn't the same as a guy getting promoted to AA to begin the season. So I don't see starting him down at Kinston to start or in the bullpen of Akron as a "demotion". But that's just me.

In any case, guys like Knapp, Pomeranz, House, McFarland... maybe even Alex Perez... these are guys that you hope and possibly even expect will be banging down the door at Kinston and earning a promotion (Packer too). It's going to be difficult to facilitate that, and I imagine a few guys will be "stuck" at a lower level when in most other systems they wouldn't be. That being said, it's a nice problem to have.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:10 pm

Even though AAA is supposed to be the last stop before going to the Major Leagues.. many clubs find homes for players that have ability, but, for whatever reason, haven't been able to consistently put it together or their spot is occupied by a MLB player that they haven't supplanted in the big league rotation... They are typically older and have a much better idea of what they can and, just as important, what they can't do..

At AA, this is usually a true prospect laden level.. not many "minor league lifers" or "AAAA" players.. The guys on this roster are typically young hungry & talented. It's been said that the best "baseball" in the minors is played at this level.. Projecting out the top two levels for starting pitchers at the outset of the 2011 season for the Indians system:

Starting at AAA....................Starting AA

Alex White...........................Scott Barnes
Zach McAllister.....................Matt Packer
Corey Kluber.........................TJ McFarland
David Huff............................Jason Knapp
Anthony Reyes......................Joe Gardner

This leaves quite a few players who should be at one of these two levels without a spot: Jeanmar Gomez or Josh Tomlin (whoever loses the spot in spring training) Kelvin de la Cruz, Paolo Espino, Yohan Pino, Hector Rondon, Alex Perez et al.

Lots of decisions to be made.. tough decisions at that..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby indiansfan055 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Wow we have a great shot at the World Series now.
indiansfan055
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:52 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Starting at AAA....................Starting AA

This leaves quite a few players who should be at one of these two levels without a spot: Jeanmar Gomez or Josh Tomlin (whoever loses the spot in spring training) Kelvin de la Cruz, Paolo Espino, Yohan Pino, Hector Rondon, Alex Perez et al.

Knapp is starting in Kinston, not Akron. McFarland may open in a swing role again at Akron like he did in Kinston this past season. De La Cruz is still a starter, and probably opens in Akron. And yeah, one or both of Tomlin/Gomez open in Columbus. pino is likely the swing guy in Columbus. Alex Perez won't be available until mid-season and Rondon probably won't pitch anywhere but Arizona in 2011 before going out to some winter league and getting a few innings in.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:11 pm

TonyIPI wrote:

Knapp is starting in Kinston, not Akron. McFarland may open in a swing role again at Akron like he did in Kinston this past season. De La Cruz is still a starter, and probably opens in Akron. And yeah, one or both of Tomlin/Gomez open in Columbus. pino is likely the swing guy in Columbus. Alex Perez won't be available until mid-season and Rondon probably won't pitch anywhere but Arizona in 2011 before going out to some winter league and getting a few innings in.

All this just means we have depth. That also means we might have enough in the tank to pull off a trade.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:48 pm

I find myself in the enviable position of agreeing with all of you. I would not necessarily agree that Gomez and Tomlin are necessarily the only ones with a risk of AAA or trade. One of the local sports talk idiots suggested that the Pads have some interest in Cleveland's excess pitching and 2B and there might be a trade in the works during the winter meetings. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying close attention since I was really only listening for the Charger injury report. It would be interesting if this effects the 40 but that does not seem likely. Not totally excited about the Pads available but they are talking about trading or DFAing some marginal RH bats. The Pads are almost as financially challenged as the Indians so I would not hold my breath on this one.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:30 am

...I find myself in the enviable position of agreeing with all of you...
It just shows that you've seen the light and are now on the right track.. you'll need to follow this up with some begging and groveling and such..for no particular reason or cause.. it'll be good practice for married life...

While the Padres may be in a similar situation financially as the Indians, that's about where the similarity ends..The Padres are balking at having to pay Chase Headley as a super two arbitration guy.. They've already declined Chris Young's option ( $ 8.5 MM), they're listening to offers for Heath "I haven't seen a buffet I can pass by" Bell and are investigating trade scenarios that would make the face of their franchise become the next starting 1B for the Red Sox !!.. All you friends of the feather should be extra attentive to the machinations of the Padres as our face of the Indians franchise, Grady Sizemore, will be approaching his walk season... The Padres are in the market to improve their farm system by acquiring young projectable players and sending away a combination of MLB veterans and excess depth at specific positions in their minor league system..which will not be an easy task....

The Padres have no one to play middle infield, principally, second base at the MLB level.. Their farm system is a mess with their last two first round draft choices, essentially, tanking.. (Karsten Whitson did not sign & Donovan Tate has been extremely disappointing). Even with the situation today, the padres did find a way to put together an exciting season in 2010.. They won't repeat it in 2011..

So, are there opportunities to make a trade with the padres?.. possibly.. but it most likely won't be an impact player unless their GM gets a brain cramp & decides Matt Latos needs new surroundings......
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:30 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:

All this just means we have depth. That also means we might have enough in the tank to pull off a trade.

For what? What would you trade for? Because the way I see it, we have plenty of potential MLB players at most every position. What we don't have is impact players. And those aren't the kind of guys you'll get with a 4th/5th starter, a few middle relief types and a 4th OF.

Also, because this was acccidentally deleted before, projecting the rotation at the full-season leagues:

MLB: Carmona, Masterson, Talbot, Carrasco, Tomlin
AAA: Huff, Gomez, Kluber, McAllister, Reyes (Pino and Espino to the 'pen)
AA: White, Barnes, De La Cruz, Hagadone, Garner (Berger to the 'pen)
A+: Packer, Pomeranz, Knapp, McFarland, House
A-: Haley, Alex Perez (?), Cole Cook, Kyle Blair, ?

It's going to be interesting. I feel that a lot of bullpen guys are going to be let go before next year. Carlton Smith, Steven Wright and Omar Aguilar come to mind.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby danh8 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Edible14 wrote:
GhostofTedCox wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:

For what? What would you trade for? Because the way I see it, we have plenty of potential MLB players at most every position. What we don't have is impact players. And those aren't the kind of guys you'll get with a 4th/5th starter, a few middle relief types and a 4th OF.

Also, because this was acccidentally deleted before, projecting the rotation at the full-season leagues:

It's going to be interesting. I feel that a lot of bullpen guys are going to be let go before next year. Carlton Smith, Steven Wright and Omar Aguilar come to mind.

I'd have to say that the depth of starting and relief pitching this organization has throughout the system, top to bottom can't be matched by any other organization....and it's not even close. I don't see Packer going down to Kinston ...he'll be at Akron I'm pretty sure, with Hagadone filling a piggyback role for half the season, like last year's utilization.

Quick question, is Sowers still in the organization ?
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:36 pm

No :yahoo:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:43 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
No :yahoo:

Are you SURE?? Until he signs with another club it can be Andy Marte all over again.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:53 am

danh8 wrote:I don't see Packer going down to Kinston ...he'll be at Akron I'm pretty sure, with Hagadone filling a piggyback role for half the season, like last year's utilization.

Yeah, after the season Atkins pretty much flat out told me Packer will be starting the 2011 season in Akron. Things can always change, but it looks very likely he opens in Akron.

Sowers is a minor league free agent, and I don't anticipate him wanting to come back, especially with all the pitching depth. He will probably try to latch on somewhere else where he can maybe have a better chance to get back to bigs.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby danh8 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:59 am

Edible14 wrote:
GhostofTedCox wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:

One guy I don't see is the kid we got from Detroit ...Soto. He'll be in Kinston, correct ? Then Brett Brach ... we have more pitchers than we know what to do with, actually. We may have piggyback situations at quite a few levels to try and appease the situation I'm guessing.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:11 am

danh8 wrote:One guy I don't see is the kid we got from Detroit ...Soto. He'll be in Kinston, correct ? Then Brett Brach ... we have more pitchers than we know what to do with, actually. We may have piggyback situations at quite a few levels to try and appease the situation I'm guessing.

Yeah, Soto and Knapp will be in Kinston to start. I am actually working through the depth chart and hope to post one soon. Definitely a lot of grey area with pitchers. I expect one piggyback situation at each level except for Columbus, so we should have 6 starters in Akron, Kinston and LC.

Gonna be a lot of good relievers from 2010 cut to make room for starters being converted to relievers in 2011.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:59 pm

Kinston is the big question mark here. There's a few guys who should probably be promoted from Lake County (Soto, Knapp) but there's really nowhere to put them with the lack of upward mobility available. Garner probably gets promoted to Akron... and that might be it. And you'd think that Pomeranz has to start there. And let's not forget Alex Perez, who should be there as well. The way I can see it working is that perhaps Packer and Hagadone do the piggyback thing at AA. Perez will probably also do it at Kinston, maybe with Adams. So, revised:

AA: White, Barnes, De La Cruz, Hagadone/Packer, Garner (Berger to the 'pen)
A+: Perez, Pomeranz, Knapp, McFarland, House (Adams, Mahalic to 'pen or piggyback roles)
A-: Haley, Soto, Cole Cook, Kyle Blair, ? (could be any of Kiminsky, Nuno, Brach)

Obviously, injuries will probably be a big factor in this, when all is said and done. If injuries occur to any of the guys at Cleveland or Columbus, I imagine Pino will be right back in the starting rotation and may not spend much time in the 'pen at all.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:30 am

Edible14 wrote:MLB: Carmona, Masterson, Talbot, Carrasco, Tomlin
A+: Perez, Pomeranz, Knapp, McFarland, House (Adams, Mahalic to 'pen or piggyback roles)
A-: Haley, Soto, Cole Cook, Kyle Blair, ? (could be any of Kiminsky, Nuno, Brach)

Perez had Tommy John surgery this summer and is not opening with an affiliate next year.

Also, Packer is not piggybacking with anyone. He is being developed as a starter and will carry a normal load, and will open in Akron. I expect Hagadone to continue to start at Akron at the outset of the season, but in a piggyback role, likely with Popham or McFarland. White will very likely pitch in Columbus to start the season, which means someone like McAllister or Reyes may not be a sure thing for the rotation there, or another change may be in the works.

Kinston should be Pomeranz, Blair, Knapp, Soto, and probably House. But lots of starters for sure to sort out there.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:19 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
Edible14 wrote:MLB: Carmona, Masterson, Talbot, Carrasco, Tomlin

Perez had Tommy John surgery this summer and is not opening with an affiliate next year.

Also, Packer is not piggybacking with anyone. He is being developed as a starter and will carry a normal load, and will open in Akron. I expect Hagadone to continue to start at Akron at the outset of the season, but in a piggyback role, likely with Popham or McFarland. White will very likely pitch in Columbus to start the season, which means someone like McAllister or Reyes may not be a sure thing for the rotation there, or another change may be in the works.

Kinston should be Pomeranz, Blair, Knapp, Soto, and probably House. But lots of starters for sure to sort out there.

I agree that white is likely to start at AAA....but personally feel it's a mistake. Felt the same way with Gomez last year. Just cause a guy has half a good year at AA doesn't mean you have to force him to AAA imo. Tribe has had a few guy start out in AA and still make the big leagues over the summer. Can't see how McAllister is at all in danger of losing a spot though. Guy never had a HR/9 over 0.5....then this year it was 1.3. Very easily could be the Tomlin-like fluke. His numbers were also better than Gomez's at AAA (as they've been throughout his career)....and they are the exact same age (Zach is 2 months older, both are still 22, both will be 23 on opening day). McAllister doesn't have front line stuff obviously....but struggling in AAA at 22 happens all the time. Give me him over Reyes or Huff right now.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:33 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Can't see how McAllister is at all in danger of losing a spot though.

Very much in danger if you ask me.

It has nothing to do with his performance in 2010, but because of a crowded starting pitching situation in Cleveland and Columbus. If the Indians do go out and sign a veteran starter as they seem to be hell bent on doing, then that means BOTH Tomlin and Gomez open in Columbus. Add in Huff, Kluber, and Reyes, and it makes for what at the moment looks like a dicey proposition for McAllister at least to start the season. Personally, I would rather McAllister start at Columbus than Reyes, which may in fact happen....but by no means is McAllister guaranteed a spot at all at this point in time.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:43 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Can't see how McAllister is at all in danger of losing a spot though.

It has nothing to do with his performance in 2010, but because of a crowded starting pitching situation in Cleveland and Columbus. If the Indians do go out and sign a veteran starter as they seem to be hell bent on doing, then that means BOTH Tomlin and Gomez open in Columbus. Add in Huff, Kluber, and Reyes, and it makes for what at the moment looks like a dicey proposition for McAllister at least to start the season. Personally, I would rather McAllister start at Columbus than Reyes, which may in fact happen....but by no means is McAllister guaranteed a spot at all at this point in time.

I dunno Tony....I know he's a homegrown boy...but I don't see how Huff has any leg up on anyone, let alone McAllister at this point.

I guess I don't see Huff as anything more than a body at this point. Wouldn't lose sleep if I never see him in an Indians uniform again, so maybe I've just soured on him.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:49 pm

TonyIPI wrote:

Well, agree to disagree I guess. Other than Kluber, McAllister is the only one guaranteed a AAA spot IMO.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby danh8 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:59 pm

TonyIPI wrote:

Going out and spending money on what will amount to another fringe vet starter is just idiocy, in my opinion. If you are on a budget, spending of that nature is wasteful, and leads in unneeded constipation.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:14 pm

...is wasteful, and leads in unneeded constipation...
Not too sure about this.. but when is constipation really needed? ever?

Veteran presence is needed for a team to show the young pups how to play the game the RIGHT way.. Eric Wedge was big on this.. and he was a strong proponent of respecting the game.... something EVERY team needs and should follow...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:33 pm

Those wondering about Reyes, as I noted in todays Happenings, he suffered a setback recently and was shutdown. More inflammation in his forearm and weakness in his fingers (I believe that happened in spring training too). Consulted some doctors and is back with the team and rehabbing again, and expected to start a throwing program in the next 10 days or so.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby hoof32 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:17 pm

Really, I'm wondering why he's around at all... Don't we have 10 prospects above this guy?

I was never very impressed with his makup back when he was healthy.

Giovanni Soto should be ahead of Anthony Reyes.

Hey, if I'm wrong, by all means, set me straight. :good:
hoof32
Draft Prospect

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:40 pm

I don't see the point anymore either. He's 29 now, has fewer than 300 career major league innings, and has never been effective in the majors for more than a quarter of a season. This will basically be his third lost year in a row... he's compiled less than 60 innings over the past two seasons, in which the only thing he proved was that his arm was still attached to his body.

Does anyone see him making it back to Cleveland in the next 12 months... let alone have any impact there? The best case scenario would be that by 2013 he might be able to pitch unrestricted. That would make him a 31 year old who's had a couple momentary flashes to show for his career. I thought he was a good "buy low" acquisition, but sometimes those simply keep going lower. He'll always have Game #1 of the '06 World Series, and I don't blame him for not facing reality, but I'm not sure why the Indians won't.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:16 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:I don't see the point anymore either. He's 29 now, has fewer than 300 career major league innings, and has never been effective in the majors for more than a quarter of a season. This will basically be his third lost year in a row... he's compiled less than 60 innings over the past two seasons, in which the only thing he proved was that his arm was still attached to his body.

Does anyone see him making it back to Cleveland in the next 12 months... let alone have any impact there? The best case scenario would be that by 2013 he might be able to pitch unrestricted. That would make him a 31 year old who's had a couple momentary flashes to show for his career. I thought he was a good "buy low" acquisition, but sometimes those simply keep going lower. He'll always have Game #1 of the '06 World Series, and I don't blame him for not facing reality, but I'm not sure why the Indians won't.

Just a thought, PCP. It might have something to do with the pretty dismal performance of the Akron starters. I am not sure I see a real ML starter among them. There is lots of warts and most of them will probably become relievers. This is probably just a way of keeping options open for injuries and trades. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:30 pm

I would pretty much expect Reyes wont pitch anywhere with the Indians this year. And when the season is over he wont be resigned. He is still around simply because he was signed to a contract, and just hasnt been released because of the injury and the poor PR that would result in releasing an injurred guy (not to mention I believe there are some restrictions with clubs released guys who are hurt and under contract).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Return to Beyond The Minors