RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby danh8 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:38 pm

I'm one who has a strong opinion of Talbot. I think he's got the right makeup mentally, pitches with a confident tempo, and has the repetoire and stuff needed to succeed. I think we really got a nice pitcher when we got him in trade for Shoppach. His stuff is borderline, and when he's a tick or two off he will get nailed, but, to me, he has enough of what it takes to be a solid 4 or 5 for a long time.

I think similarly of Tomlin. Neither knock a scouts socks off, but just run an efficient, smart game on the mound. I like Marson, or someone of experience behind the plate when these types pitch, though. Having a catcher that really can set a guy up and call a smart game is very important.
Last edited by danh8 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:58 pm

You hit on something that is often over looked. The catcher calling the gm is essential for the pitcher. The combo needs to have good chemistry and understand each other and how to handle the staff. That's part of the reason I beluieve the Tribe needs to try to bring in BMolina.

Im not a fan of Talbot, he and Tomlin are similar in some ways. Tomlin seems to really understand how to pitch, Talbot like Tomlin is probably a 5th starter or MR.

I wouldnt be surprised if Talbot is the first to go... either to the pen or traded.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:06 pm

5 innings today by Talbot. Wouldn't say "great" but 5 innings only 1 run...and ZERO walks. :drinks:

Lewis.....forgettable outing.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:45 pm

Talbot did have a good outing (for him) in today's game. He was victimized by Chad Huffman's poor route to a ball hit over his head that was turned into a lead off triple and eventually scored. After that, he gave up his usual 1 1/2 hits/walks per inning.. Like a good 5th starter, he kept the team in the game and got his work done..

The dry air and slick baseballs in Arizone don't do a guy like Talbot any favors. When he gets to Cleveland, the number of pitches that have been up in the zone ( you know which ones those are.. they get hammered hard) will go down.. his two seam fastball will also be that much more effective...

As of now.. it's Talbot making two more starts followed by starting in Columbus for the last exhibition game against the AAA guys.. followed by the start of the season in Cleveland..

Jensen Lewis' fastball is hovering around 86-88.. that's when he gets hurt..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby danh8 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:38 am

GeronimoSon wrote:Talbot did have a good outing (for him) in today's game. He was victimized by Chad Huffman's poor route to a ball hit over his head that was turned into a lead off triple and eventually scored. After that, he gave up his usual 1 1/2 hits/walks per inning.. Like a good 5th starter, he kept the team in the game and got his work done..

The dry air and slick baseballs in Arizone don't do a guy like Talbot any favors. When he gets to Cleveland, the number of pitches that have been up in the zone ( you know which ones those are.. they get hammered hard) will go down.. his two seam fastball will also be that much more effective...

As of now.. it's Talbot making two more starts followed by starting in Columbus for the last exhibition game against the AAA guys.. followed by the start of the season in Cleveland..

Jensen Lewis is a chronic slow starter every year. He struggles mightily getting his arm strength up in the early going. If he can struggle through April alive and breathing, it always seems like he's then on his way to being a fairly decent reliever. We'll see if he can stick with us as we continue to develop more of our relieving depth.. not optimistic. But, I see him eventually being a part of a trade at some point.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:20 pm

danh8 wrote:Jensen Lewis is a chronic slow starter every year. He struggles mightily getting his arm strength up in the early going. If he can struggle through April alive and breathing, it always seems like he's then on his way to being a fairly decent reliever. We'll see if he can stick with us as we continue to develop more of our relieving depth.. not optimistic. But, I see him eventually being a part of a trade at some point.

Unfortunately for Lewis....a slow start could mean he's DFAed. I think he's got til Memorial Day to show he belongs in the Tribe pen, if that. Guys like Pestano, Judy, etc are gonna be pushing him hard for a spot. Heck, even Germano could take it from him.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:29 pm

Have to agree with Hermie - he is perennially on on the bubble and if his slow start begins to morph into a bad season he will be traded or DFA'd. Too many guys to look at this year. Also starting to wonder about Joe Smith, i know he has been hurting but has an option left. Might be the 1st one sent out if he is having issues
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:22 pm

No disrepsect to Lewis, but guys like him are a dime a dozen. Will be ordinary most of the time, but sometimes and very good sometimes....but ordinary most of the time. Nothing special, and a middle reliever. I hope it works out for him here, but in the scouting world guys like him have little value.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby tribefan611 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:48 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Talbot did have a good outing (for him) in today's game. He was victimized by Chad Huffman's poor route to a ball hit over his head that was turned into a lead off triple and eventually scored. After that, he gave up his usual 1 1/2 hits/walks per inning.. Like a good 5th starter, he kept the team in the game and got his work done..

How about we stay on topic here? :s_crazy
tribefan611
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:26 pm

tribefan611 wrote:

Did you PM Tony Criznit, Hermie and Danh8 with the same message?.. I'm certain they're feeling left out now... :wacko:

How about we stay on topic here? :s_crazy
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby martyinnewyork » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:51 pm

Jeez, 14 hitter today for Mitch. Needs to throw about 8 DP balls to keep us in a game this year!!!
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby ChadS17 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:47 pm

I tell you what, everytime we want to run the guy out of town, he does something like this.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:05 am

Impressive outing for him tonight. Through 7 innings, arguably his best outing as an Indian.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:01 am

TonyIPI wrote:Impressive outing for him tonight. Through 7 innings, arguably his best outing as an Indian.
Impressive?.. okay, but probably: professional / workman-like would be more apropos. Eight plus innings.. a couple of walks (why bother throwing Bobby Abreu a ball off the plate?.. he's NEVER going to swing at it) a few hits.. lots of pitches.. and no runs.. Even Torii Hunter didn't sting the Tribe for a change..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:17 am

I'm still trying to figure out who that guy was wearing Talbots uniform.

Maybe just maybe he's figured things out... I'd say it could be Belchers influence and luck.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:15 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I'm still trying to figure out who that guy was wearing Talbots uniform.

Maybe just maybe he's figured things out... I'd say it could be Belchers influence and luck.

I know when you look at Talbot's 2nd half splits they look ugly....but the guy did have a solid September to close out the year. In those 4 starts (though 1 lasted not even an innings) he never allowed more than 3 runs, had an ERA under 3.

He was injured and barely pitched in 2009 as well...so his struggles late could have been running out of gas. Got a lot more time off (and was on the DL) in September and pitched better. Heck, if he just basically replicates his 2010 (160 innings and an ERA under 4.5)....not many teams in the AL would say no to that from their #5 starter.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ChadS17 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:I'm still trying to figure out who that guy was wearing Talbots uniform.

I know when you look at Talbot's 2nd half splits they look ugly....but the guy did have a solid September to close out the year. In those 4 starts (though 1 lasted not even an innings) he never allowed more than 3 runs, had an ERA under 3.

He was injured and barely pitched in 2009 as well...so his struggles late could have been running out of gas. Got a lot more time off (and was on the DL) in September and pitched better. Heck, if he just basically replicates his 2010 (160 innings and an ERA under 4.5)....not many teams in the AL would say no to that from their #5 starter.

Thing is if he replicates his 2010, there is no reason to keep him around as the fifth starter when you consider White should be ready at least by next year. Heck, Pomeranz will be knocking on the door this time next year. If Carmona, Masterson, and Carrasco all pitch the way they have/ are capable of, we could be one of the AL teams that can "say no to that as their #5 starter." Long way away, just something to consider.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:45 pm

There's a number of arms who could take that 4-5 spot in the rotation. Zach McCallister, Alex White, Corey Kluber, David Huff, Austin Adams, Kelvin DeLaCruz, even Hector Rondon could get consideration once he gets back in form. There's really no shortage of arms in the system, and any number could potentially blossom in to the arms the rotation needs.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:46 pm

ChadS17 wrote:Thing is if he replicates his 2010, there is no reason to keep him around as the fifth starter when you consider White should be ready at least by next year. Heck, Pomeranz will be knocking on the door this time next year. If Carmona, Masterson, and Carrasco all pitch the way they have/ are capable of, we could be one of the AL teams that can "say no to that as their #5 starter." Long way away, just something to consider.

If he replicates his 2010 you definitely keep him around.....unless you're suggesting trading him (which is a real possibility if he keeps pitching well, though we're premature there right now).

Love your optimism on Pomeranz.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ChadS17 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:51 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:Thing is if he replicates his 2010, there is no reason to keep him around as the fifth starter when you consider White should be ready at least by next year. Heck, Pomeranz will be knocking on the door this time next year. If Carmona, Masterson, and Carrasco all pitch the way they have/ are capable of, we could be one of the AL teams that can "say no to that as their #5 starter." Long way away, just something to consider.

If he replicates his 2010 you definitely keep him around.....unless you're suggesting trading him (which is a real possibility if he keeps pitching well, though we're premature there right now).

Love your optimism on Pomeranz.

Yes I am suggesting trading Talbot at some point. And you're right, this is very premature.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Chip Davis » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:17 pm

What could we get for a package of Talbot, Donald, and Hermann? Maybe you replace Donald with Phelps or Hermann with a Barnes or De La Cruz. What would any of you look to get in return? A power left fielder is about all I'm interested in at this point. Oh yea, he has to bat from the right side.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby Edible14 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:51 pm

Chip Davis wrote:What could we get for a package of Talbot, Donald, and Hermann? Maybe you replace Donald with Phelps or Hermann with a Barnes or De La Cruz. What would any of you look to get in return? A power left fielder is about all I'm interested in at this point. Oh yea, he has to bat from the right side.

I would like Albert Pujols too, but he's not available and not very affordable anyway.

Major league power bats don't come cheap, and they're likely not even available. They're either too expensive, too old and/or have significant defensive/baserunning/contact issues.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Chip Davis » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:09 am

Who said anything about Albert P? Maybe there is nothing out there available but that wasn't the question. The question was what is the package(or comparable) I mentioned worth to you as an Indians fan or what would you look to get in return? Or maybe you could pry Yonder Alonso from Cinncy for a lesser package and put LaPorta back in left or something simular.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby Edible14 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:38 am

Chip Davis wrote:Who said anything about Albert P? Maybe there is nothing out there available but that wasn't the question. The question was what is the package(or comparable) I mentioned worth to you as an Indians fan or what would you look to get in return? Or maybe you could pry Yonder Alonso from Cinncy for a lesser package and put LaPorta back in left or something simular.

I think Talbot, Donald and Herrman are worth more to the Indians than they are to other teams. Talbot is an injury-prone BOR starter without options, Herrman is a middle reliever and Donald is a utility IFer. I doubt we'd get a power bat that would be a significant upgrade over Kearns for that trio. Crazier things have happened, though.

If the Indians decide to take on a contract or two late in the season, they'll have to be vultures about it. The best I can figure right now is Damon might be available if the Rays continue to suck. Though I'm not sure how much he would help.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Chip Davis » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:28 pm

If they make a trade it will be for more of a long term player IMO, Damon doesn't fit that description. Feel free to substitute Huff, Gomez, Tomlin or anyone not named White, Pomeranz, Carrasco, Knapp.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:12 pm

Edible14 wrote:I think Talbot, Donald and Herrman are worth more to the Indians than they are to other teams. Talbot is an injury-prone BOR starter without options, Herrman is a middle reliever and Donald is a utility IFer. I doubt we'd get a power bat that would be a significant upgrade over Kearns for that trio. Crazier things have happened, though.

Agreed. You are not getting much of anything for a combo of Talbot, Herrmann, and Donald. Pretty much a group of relative easy quantities to find in the game. You want a power, impact bat and you are going to have to pony up two higher end prospects and have to live with dealing a White, Kipnis, etc.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Chip Davis » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:09 pm

I value pitching more than anything else, and I think most front offices feel the same. Guys like Tomlin, Talbot, and Huff have value. I'm not talking about acquiring a premier all-star. I'm thinking more along the lines of someone like Yonder Alonzo or someone like him that is blocked in their orginizations.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:08 pm

Chip Davis wrote:I value pitching more than anything else, and I think most front offices feel the same. Guys like Tomlin, Talbot, and Huff have value. I'm not talking about acquiring a premier all-star. I'm thinking more along the lines of someone like Yonder Alonzo or someone like him that is blocked in their orginizations.

None of the 3 guys you mentioned will come close to getting you Yonder Alonso.....that would be awesome though.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:49 pm

Chip Davis wrote:I value pitching more than anything else, and I think most front offices feel the same. Guys like Tomlin, Talbot, and Huff have value. I'm not talking about acquiring a premier all-star. I'm thinking more along the lines of someone like Yonder Alonzo or someone like him that is blocked in their orginizations.

If you want alonzo they will want white. Huff has failed in bigs, talbot has been erratic, and you don't trade Tomlin. At the best you get a propsect like Soto or Pino for the guys you mentioned
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:53 am

Pino was sold to the Jays... meh.. I guess that's one way to unjam the pitching logjam..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:09 am

GeronimoSon wrote:Pino was sold to the Jays... meh.. I guess that's one way to unjam the pitching logjam..

$$$ May cover Pronk's perdium in KC this week or maybe just yesterday's.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Edible14 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:29 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

None of the 3 guys you mentioned will come close to getting you Yonder Alonso.....that would be awesome though.

Agreed. Power bats are a valuable commodity, especially ones that will be with the team for a few years. You're not getting that for back of the rotation starters.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Edible14 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:55 pm

Bastian has apparently reported that Talbot's injury is a UCL strain. Scheduled to start rehab in 4 weeks, but the UCL is the Tommy John ligament. Same thing that downed Rondon for this entire year. Is it fair to ask if we'll see Talbot for the rest of the year?
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:35 pm

Edible14 wrote:Bastian has apparently reported that Talbot's injury is a UCL strain. Scheduled to start rehab in 4 weeks, but the UCL is the Tommy John ligament. Same thing that downed Rondon for this entire year. Is it fair to ask if we'll see Talbot for the rest of the year?

If Talbot is down for the rest of the season, I don't think its the worst thing that could happen to the Tribe. During this season they need to sort thru some of the pitchers they have and get an idea of what is there and in some cases what is not there. No Talbot means there are 27 or so starts available to evaluate JeanMar/ Huff and others.

Additionally, if Talbot is done for the season, it means likely usage of the 60 day DL for him and that roster spot might be very handy as the year goes on.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ChadS17 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:41 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:
Edible14 wrote:Bastian has apparently reported that Talbot's injury is a UCL strain. Scheduled to start rehab in 4 weeks, but the UCL is the Tommy John ligament. Same thing that downed Rondon for this entire year. Is it fair to ask if we'll see Talbot for the rest of the year?

If Talbot is down for the rest of the season, I don't think its the worst thing that could happen to the Tribe. During this season they need to sort thru some of the pitchers they have and get an idea of what is there and in some cases what is not there. No Talbot means there are 27 or so starts available to evaluate JeanMar/ Huff and others.

Additionally, if Talbot is done for the season, it means likely usage of the 60 day DL for him and that roster spot might be very handy as the year goes on.

At the same time, we need to find out what we have in Talbot.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Chip Davis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:15 am

Edible14 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Agreed. Power bats are a valuable commodity, especially ones that will be with the team for a few years. You're not getting that for back of the rotation starters.

Sorry, I should have explained myself better. I don't think any of the afformentioned pitchers alone would net you a Yonder Alonso. I was meaning in a package with a Phelps and a young backend reliever or any package that didn't include Chisenall, Kipnis,White, Pomeranz or Knapp.

Alonso won't be playing in Cinncy anytime soon unless Votto gets hurt. There looks to be enough depth in pitching and the middle infield for use in aquiring someone to fill a position of need. Maybe I should have just asked what everyone thought it would take to aquire someone like Alonso?
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:02 am

Maybe I should have just asked what everyone thought it would take to aquire someone like Alonso?
The Reds biggest areas of defficiency is in their starting staff and depth. They really don't have much in the way of uber-studs in the minors nor do they have anyone on the horizon that appears as if they will develop into a MLB SP. So, to acquire a guy like Yonder Alonso, an SP candidate with some upside would be needed.. The question becomes.. why would you want to acquire Alonso?.. It was suggested that if Votto were to go down, he would probably be called up to fill in at 1B as he's proven he can handle the defensive needs of a 1B and has some unrealized offensive potential.. In the interim.. he's being groomed for an outfield spot.. Sound familiar? Perhaps someone like Joe Gardner or Scott Barnes might interest the Reds?..IDK..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:38 am

If Talbot has a UCL strain, he won't be back in four weeks. More like 3 months, if even that. I'd be willing to bet we don't see him the rest of the season except maybe September if he is lucky. If there was ever anyone to get injured who we could survive a loss to, it is Talbot. Gives us a chance to give some looks to other guys and not get much of a drop off performance-wise (sans Talbot's last start).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:38 am

Given Talbot's arm problems last year, you have to question the wisdom of Acta sending him out to pitch the 8th inning with a 4-0 lead against the Angels. Talbot ended up throwing 112 pitches in only his second start of the season, and now he's done for quite a while apparently. Hindsight is 20/20, but it doesn't seem very smart in retrospect.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby bmonnig » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:00 am

TonyIPI wrote:If Talbot has a UCL strain, he won't be back in four weeks. More like 3 months, if even that. I'd be willing to bet we don't see him the rest of the season except maybe September if he is lucky. If there was ever anyone to get injured who we could survive a loss to, it is Talbot. Gives us a chance to give some looks to other guys and not get much of a drop off performance-wise (sans Talbot's last start).

Yes it could be good to get looks at some guys. Hopefully other guys will earn those looks as Huff, McAllister and Kluber have been disappointing so far (I know it's still very early). I assume they don't want to rush White and there doesn't seem to be anybody else close to ready so those 3 guys need to get it going or the SP depth looks really thin without Talbot.
bmonnig
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Edible14 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:20 am

Chip Davis wrote:Sorry, I should have explained myself better. I don't think any of the afformentioned pitchers alone would net you a Yonder Alonso. I was meaning in a package with a Phelps and a young backend reliever or any package that didn't include Chisenall, Kipnis,White, Pomeranz or Knapp.

Alonso won't be playing in Cinncy anytime soon unless Votto gets hurt. There looks to be enough depth in pitching and the middle infield for use in aquiring someone to fill a position of need. Maybe I should have just asked what everyone thought it would take to aquire someone like Alonso?

I would doubt Phelps would be of much interest to the Reds, unless they either plan on moving Phillips to SS or not picking up his option for 2012. But you are correct, the Reds might be a very good trading partner for us.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby davidkey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:51 am

Good time now to get an extended look at Jeanmar Gomez. Maybe not an ideal situation, b/c in reality I think he still needs upwards of a full year in AAA for additional seasoning. He's what, 22 or so, and had about a half season of AAA ball under his belt before we called him up last year. So he's still raw, but given his age and perhaps his stuff, he may have more upside than Talbot.

Furthermore, last year Gomez showed he wasn't overwhelmed by big league pitching, given the limited sample size. With 20 starts or so at the ML level this year, going through the whole league, teams start seeing him a 2nd or 3rd time, we should learn a lot about him.

As for guys like Huff, McAllister and Kluber, I think Gomez also has a higher upside than they do, so unless Gomez tanks in Cleveland and they start dominating at AAA, I see no problem leaving those guys there and lettin Gomez accumulate ML innings this year.
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:19 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Given Talbot's arm problems last year, you have to question the wisdom of Acta sending him out to pitch the 8th inning with a 4-0 lead against the Angels. Talbot ended up throwing 112 pitches in only his second start of the season, and now he's done for quite a while apparently. Hindsight is 20/20, but it doesn't seem very smart in retrospect.

I was thinking this too....though taking him out after 8 or even 7, could have had the same arm issues. Missed most of 2009 and hurt last year, so this one game may or may not have had anythign to do with it. Agree, hindsight is 20/20.....kind of wish he'd have let Talbot just finish the game, go for his first career shutout.....may have been his last shot at it....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:22 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Maybe I should have just asked what everyone thought it would take to aquire someone like Alonso?
The Reds biggest areas of defficiency is in their starting staff and depth. They really don't have much in the way of uber-studs in the minors nor do they have anyone on the horizon that appears as if they will develop into a MLB SP. So, to acquire a guy like Yonder Alonso, an SP candidate with some upside would be needed.. The question becomes.. why would you want to acquire Alonso?.. It was suggested that if Votto were to go down, he would probably be called up to fill in at 1B as he's proven he can handle the defensive needs of a 1B and has some unrealized offensive potential.. In the interim.. he's being groomed for an outfield spot.. Sound familiar? Perhaps someone like Joe Gardner or Scott Barnes might interest the Reds?..IDK..

Another question you have to ask is why do the Indians want Alonso? He's a lefty...who has struggled against lefties. He is suppose to be a 1B with power, but hasn't shown it and is more of a contact/on-base guy so far. He is healthier than Weglarz....but really hasn't shown anything so far to make you think he'll be a more impactful ML player.

If you can get him without giving up a top spec I'm all for it....but Alonso is overrated and only adds yet another lefty to an already lefty heavy lineup.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:50 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

Another question you have to ask is why do the Indians want Alonso? He's a lefty...who has struggled against lefties. He is suppose to be a 1B with power, but hasn't shown it and is more of a contact/on-base guy so far. He is healthier than Weglarz....but really hasn't shown anything so far to make you think he'll be a more impactful ML player.
No way of knowing for sure but I think you are right about Alonso. I think we would get a whole bunch more with a healthy return of Nick Johnson but I have not seen anything about his progress since the May rehab estimate. He has at least as much power as Alonso, hits LHP much better and is a far better defender. Keep the young pitching! It comes and goes so quickly. I think I would wait on the health of our own players than go with a costly investment. :pleasantry:
If you can get him without giving up a top spec I'm all for it....but Alonso is overrated and only adds yet another lefty to an already lefty heavy lineup.

Sorry hermie! Cannot fix this thing! :cry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Chip Davis » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:14 am

I forgot all about Johnson. He could help this team if healthy. Ok I admit I picked a bad example with Alonso seeing he is another lefty. Anyone else out there that could be of interest? There is a lack of right handed, power hitting outfielders in the system and I don't have enough knowledge of everyone's farm system.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:46 am

There just aren't a lot of power hitting right handed OF'ers out there.. but there is at least one that may be of interest (at least, he's someone that I think could be a difference maker).. Micaheal Taylor of the A's.. He's been an enigma in that he has tremendous talent/tools but hasn't put them together over his two seasons in AAA. He's a bit older too, he's 25 entering the 2011 season. He seems to get locked in for short stretches when he's all world.. at other times... he's as lost as anyone you'll ever see hold a piece of ash or maple in his large hands. He is a HUGE guy, bigger than Justin Masterson..and he's FAST.. sort of a poor man's version of the Ja-Hey kid in Atlanta. He was part of the trade that sent Roy Halladay to the Phillies, but, was immediately flipped by the Jays to the A's. The A's are a team similar to the Indians in that they have built their farm system by drafts and trading near MLB FA's for other teams' top specs. The A's have no particular area of need in their minor league system besides catcher. So to make a trade happen with them Chris Antonetti will have to EARN his pay...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:32 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:There just aren't a lot of power hitting right handed OF'ers out there.. but there is at least one that may be of interest (at least, he's someone that I think could be a difference maker).. Micaheal Taylor of the A's.. He's been an enigma in that he has tremendous talent/tools but hasn't put them together over his two seasons in AAA. He's a bit older too, he's 25 entering the 2011 season. He seems to get locked in for short stretches when he's all world.. at other times... he's as lost as anyone you'll ever see hold a piece of ash or maple in his large hands. He is a HUGE guy, bigger than Justin Masterson..and he's FAST.. sort of a poor man's version of the Ja-Hey kid in Atlanta. He was part of the trade that sent Roy Halladay to the Phillies, but, was immediately flipped by the Jays to the A's. The A's are a team similar to the Indians in that they have built their farm system by drafts and trading near MLB FA's for other teams' top specs. The A's have no particular area of need in their minor league system besides catcher. So to make a trade happen with them Chris Antonetti will have to EARN his pay...

They can't give him away as the fans know, he was the player they got in a series of trades were they traded Holliday and Cargo. He will be an A, as they have to make it work
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:56 am

Making it work <=== In baseball parlance, this is the road to perdition: A state of eternal punishment and damnation into which a sinful and unpenitent club passes into and remains..

The A's trades and other machinations certainly have some unusual twists and turns...not the least of which are predicated on the impending Free Agency of high value players.. like Huston Street.. The A's are VERY high on Chris Carter and appear to be getting a bit "tired" of Michael Taylor. The A's won't force the issue if they can acquire a guy who fits their OBP/future needs profile, which, Taylor never will.

Taylor isn't the only guy left standing for the A's subsequent to the Holliday for Cargo/Smith/Street trade with the Rox. The A's knew they had to do something about their closer situation & the Rox raped them, in retrospect. Kind of like a Fantasy Baseball proposed trade of Paul Konerko for Troy Tulowitzki would be.. and no one is stupid enough to make that trade... but someone is stupid enough offer it...

So, Michael Taylor ends up with the A's.. after he was dealt to the Jays along with Kyle Drabek and Travis D'Arnaud. The A's had acquired Brett Wallace from the Cards for Matt Holliday and two other guys, because he was going to become a FA. This set up the Michael Taylor for Brett Wallace deal as an adjunct to the Roy Halladay trade.

If the A's can acquire a guy they believe can be their backstop for the next 5 to 6 years, it's all but a certainty that they'd make that deal for Michael Taylor. If the A's would take Chun Chen for Taylor, that would be a deal that CA would have to consider highly.. The A's are all about pitching anyway.. there doesn't appear to be anyone on that team that can hit, but they can pitch.. damn good too..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:28 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Making it work <=== In baseball parlance, this is the road to perdition: A state of eternal punishment and damnation into which a sinful and unpenitent club passes into and remains..

The A's trades and other machinations certainly have some unusual twists and turns...not the least of which are predicated on the impending Free Agency of high value players.. like Huston Street.. The A's are VERY high on Chris Carter and appear to be getting a bit "tired" of Michael Taylor. The A's won't force the issue if they can acquire a guy who fits their OBP/future needs profile, which, Taylor never will.

Taylor isn't the only guy left standing for the A's subsequent to the Holliday for Cargo/Smith/Street trade with the Rox. The A's knew they had to do something about their closer situation & the Rox raped them, in retrospect. Kind of like a Fantasy Baseball proposed trade of Paul Konerko for Troy Tulowitzki would be.. and no one is stupid enough to make that trade... but someone is stupid enough offer it...

So, Michael Taylor ends up with the A's.. after he was dealt to the Jays along with Kyle Drabek and Travis D'Arnaud. The A's had acquired Brett Wallace from the Cards for Matt Holliday and two other guys, because he was going to become a FA. This set up the Michael Taylor for Brett Wallace deal as an adjunct to the Roy Halladay trade.

If the A's can acquire a guy they believe can be their backstop for the next 5 to 6 years, it's all but a certainty that they'd make that deal for Michael Taylor. If the A's would take Chun Chen for Taylor, that would be a deal that CA would have to consider highly.. The A's are all about pitching anyway.. there doesn't appear to be anyone on that team that can hit, but they can pitch.. damn good too..

I disagree, taylor still has potential and I think they will risk that potential working out rather than take a guy with lesser upside, besides at this point I think they will be buyers of MLB players and not specs and if taylor is traded it will be for help
jellis
Triple-A Stud

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors