RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby theshow » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:16 pm

I can see why Manny Acta was so hated in Washington. A guy is getting absolutely rocked, while you are still in the game and you don't get anyone up throwing in the bullpen? I am not a knee jerk reaction type of guy, but as nice a guy as Acta is he should be fired on the spot for this shocking mishandling of a team.

This is only one game, but Mitch Talbot is just like Jamey Wright. Maybe he can get lucky and have success from time to time but his stuff is absolutely horrible. He has no talent. Jeremy Sowers is lightyears better than Mitch Talbot. Lets hope Sowers can get healthy soon!!!!!!!!! If not lets just give the ball to Carrasco even if he isn't ready. I don't want to know my team is going to lose every fifth day, when I think the rest of our staff looks pretty solid. Sidenote: The sooner Jamey Wright gets DFA'ed the better as well!
theshow
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:00 am

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby InsaneJedi » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:50 pm

Wow, overreaction much? It's one game, dude. THREE INNINGS of one game. And you think the manager should be fired on the spot?

Talbot did look awful in the first few innings, but seems to have gotten it back together in the 4th and the 5th. Besides, with how much our bullpen has had to pitch in the last few games, maybe he didn't want to destroy any arms.

Talk about hasty decisions....
InsaneJedi
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 11:34 am

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby A.Zajac » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:15 pm

InsaneJedi wrote:Wow, overreaction much? It's one game, dude. THREE INNINGS of one game. And you think the manager should be fired on the spot?

Talbot did look awful in the first few innings, but seems to have gotten it back together in the 4th and the 5th. Besides, with how much our bullpen has had to pitch in the last few games, maybe he didn't want to destroy any arms.

Talk about hasty decisions....


Well said.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby npc29 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Ya I've seen enough of him today, but everyone deserves more than one shot. He just failed to throw strikes today in the 1st and 3rd innings.

Wanting to fire Acta already is just foolish and I think you even know that.
npc29
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:59 pm
Location: Kent, OH

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:45 pm

theshow wrote: I am not a knee jerk reaction type of guy


I beg to differ
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby jellis » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:10 pm

no worse than pavano first start last year, rookie pitching is extremely volatile, to think the guy is a bum after one game is the definition of knee jerk. Carrasco start last year was one of the worst I ever saw
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby petes999 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:17 pm

It's too early to tell what Talbot will be. However, I can see the bandwagon to call up Sowers/Carrasco starting early. I am wondering what Acta and Shapiro saw in him during ST. I thought they were high on him but his stats seem to be very middle of the road. And, when they say he has a good change up, I would expect his ST numbers to be better than regular season as his off-speed pitches fools the non-regulars pitchers face in ST. Yet, Westbrook had a bad start as well and no one wants to ditch him. But, the difference is we know what Westbrook can become again while Talbot has always been a 4th/5th starter .... never that high in the Rays organization. So give him a few starts and see if he blooms. If not, Sowers should be back into form. Yet, by mid-season hopefully Carrasco has solved his mental side of the game - that is the future -- not Talbot or Sowers.

Also has anyone seen Shoppach stats (1 for 6 and 3 ks). So both (Talbot and Shoppach) are struggling a bit out of the gate with their new clubs.
petes999
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:02 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby theshow » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:46 pm

Yeah, im just messing around. I dont honestly think Acta should be fired. I was ranting in the heat of the moment. But Talbot really does suck, I don't care if he got out of it, I was underwhelmed by the arsenal he brings to the table.
theshow
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:00 am

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby JP_Frost » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:07 pm

theshow wrote:Yeah, im just messing around. I dont honestly think Acta should be fired. I was ranting in the heat of the moment. But Talbot really does suck, I don't care if he got out of it, I was underwhelmed by the arsenal he brings to the table.


Based on 1 start?
User avatar
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2117
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:17 pm

My impression of Talbot was his stuff is good enough.... his location those first 3 innings wasn't!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:07 am

I did not see the game, so can't comment on how Talbot looked. But, I think this is one of those "let's see what happens" things. Way too early to make any judgements on him. I mean, had he thrown a perfect game on Saturday, people wouldn't have been lining up to say he was the next great thing either. We need more data and a larger sample size, and I am perfectly fine with giving him at least 6-7 starts and then see where he is come mid-May.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby jellis » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:14 pm

that talbot what a piece of sh#@ (j/k)
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:56 pm

jellis wrote:that talbot what a piece of sh#@ (j/k)


Hey Show, can you start a thread asking if we have seen enough of Matt LaPorta yet so he goes out on Saturday and hits three home runs? :biggrin:
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby theshow » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:55 am

Consigliere wrote:Hey Show, can you start a thread asking if we have seen enough of Matt LaPorta yet so he goes out on Saturday and hits three home runs?


I was one of the 10,000 people in attendance. I take back everything I said. It was a knee-jerk reaction, Talbot was great tonight. I am wrong sometimes, and I guess I need to give guys a chance. I thought Casey Blake was a stiff at first, but he ended up being a nice player.

Tony-I would be happy to do that for LaPorta. Maybe I should just blast the entire offense, and then we can start scoring some real runs and giving our starters some support!
theshow
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:00 am

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:26 am

Talbot's ball has some very nice movement, and he looks a lot to me like a Dave Burba kind of guy out there. We can only hope.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:12 am

Consigliere wrote:Talbot's ball has some very nice movement, and he looks a lot to me like a Dave Burba kind of guy out there. We can only hope.



ugh....just hearing that name makes me want to put a bullet in my brain.... :cry:
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby cardiackidz » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:10 pm

dont get me excited with saying talbots going to maybe turn into dave burba. wouldnt it be nice to get that type of pitcher back for kelly shoppach.
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby jellis » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:18 pm

come on jinks some one else, you have a very obvious gift and we need it
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby jellis » Sun May 16, 2010 11:21 pm

this thread is well on its way to legendary with every solid start, I know I am a day late
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby TonyIBI » Mon May 17, 2010 12:35 am

This thread is EPIC. :s_biggrin :pleasantry:
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue May 25, 2010 10:40 pm

I can't believe I'm writing this but,,, is Mitch Talbot our All Star Game representative? Choo could get squeezed out in the OF, and Grady and Asdrubal are out. Who else?
User avatar
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby TonyIBI » Tue May 25, 2010 10:49 pm

Choo or Talbot, with Carmona an outside shot if you ask me. Talbot should get strong rookie of the year consideration too.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby theshow » Tue May 25, 2010 10:52 pm

I just blasted Luis Valbuena on the Columbus Clippers board. I jokingly made a thread blasting Hafner and he is hitting now. Lets hope that Luis can get it together with some "theshow" kharma.

Once again my apologies for ever doubting Mitch Talbot. I think the lesson to be learned is trade with the Rays whenever you get a chance because that team has more talent than anyone could know what to do with!
theshow
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:00 am

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby Hermie13 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:45 am

Consigliere wrote:Choo or Talbot, with Carmona an outside shot if you ask me. Talbot should get strong rookie of the year consideration too.



He should....but my guess is he is gonna end up well out of it, much like Jeff Niemann last year (who should have won it unanimously IMO).
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby petes999 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:33 am

I don't see Talbot being on All-Star team. If Choo gets hurt, then maybe as they need one of our players ... but then they may do Sipp or Carmona. It is just hard with 12 pitchers (or so) to see Talbot getting enough consideration (factoring 5-6 starters get selected then rest are relievers)... Just off the top of my head ... people like CC, Hughes, Bulcholz, Becket, Price, Niemann, Verlander, Hernandez, ... You can have a pitcher make it easier based on name recognition (manager going based on past performance) will get the edge over Talbot.

I can see Talbot as ROY ... but let's not get too ahead of ourselves yet. Looking at who he has played well against Chicago, KC, Bal, LA and Min and played poorly against Det and Toronto. He has had some success against the bottom feeders (other than Min but even LA is off this year). So, I am encouraged by his performance (a switch from hating the trade early on). But, am still holding out until he goes through some teams twice (for them to complete their book on him) and not just KC, Chi and Balt.
petes999
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:02 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby Hermie13 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:57 pm

petes999 wrote:I don't see Talbot being on All-Star team. If Choo gets hurt, then maybe as they need one of our players ... but then they may do Sipp or Carmona. It is just hard with 12 pitchers (or so) to see Talbot getting enough consideration (factoring 5-6 starters get selected then rest are relievers)... Just off the top of my head ... people like CC, Hughes, Bulcholz, Becket, Price, Niemann, Verlander, Hernandez, ... You can have a pitcher make it easier based on name recognition (manager going based on past performance) will get the edge over Talbot.

I can see Talbot as ROY ... but let's not get too ahead of ourselves yet. Looking at who he has played well against Chicago, KC, Bal, LA and Min and played poorly against Det and Toronto. He has had some success against the bottom feeders (other than Min but even LA is off this year). So, I am encouraged by his performance (a switch from hating the trade early on). But, am still holding out until he goes through some teams twice (for them to complete their book on him) and not just KC, Chi and Balt.




There is a 0% chance Sipp even gets a hint of consideration for the All Star team. For a non-closer to make it you have to have your own manager running the team and even then it's nearly impossible.


It's Choo for the All-Star team. If he gets hurt we just won't have anyone. There is no rule that you have to replace an injured player with someone from that team. Since Choo would still technically be on the team, it's allowable by rule.


Carmona has an extreme outside chance as does Talbot I guess. But still, anyone other than Choo would be a huge suprise.



And Cabrera's injury had nothing to do with him not getting any consideration (for those that have mentioned it). Jhonny Peralta deserved an All-Star nod before Cabrera did.





I agree about Talbot. Long way to go and it will be interesting to see how he does when teams start facing him 2 or 3 times.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Wed May 26, 2010 3:27 pm

This is a crazy consideration, and I hope it doesn't come to pass, but a man waiting at the barbershop while I got a haircut made an interesting point: with South Korea very close to going to war, who would be the Tribe's ASG rep if Choo is called back to the South Korean Military before the All-Star Break?
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed May 26, 2010 3:39 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:This is a crazy consideration, and I hope it doesn't come to pass, but a man waiting at the barbershop while I got a haircut made an interesting point: with South Korea very close to going to war, who would be the Tribe's ASG rep if Choo is called back to the South Korean Military before the All-Star Break?


They can't force him to go back to the country..... they can only force him into military service (or arrest him if he refuses) if he's already in Korea.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby jellis » Wed May 26, 2010 5:48 pm

Choo is a shoe in if hes hurt I think its becomes talbot just based on his win totals, if talbot implodes though at this point I would think Carmona or maybe a Kearns if he keeps his average well above 300
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby Hermie13 » Fri May 28, 2010 10:33 am

Interesting factoid on Talbot's start to the year......


He's the first Indians rookie to win 6 games in the team's first 50 games since Herb Score in 1955.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri May 28, 2010 11:08 am

Hermie13 wrote:Interesting factoid on Talbot's start to the year......


He's the first Indians rookie to win 6 games in the team's first 50 games since Herb Score in 1955.


To me, he seems to have a little bit of the luck Cliff Lee had in his first year here. He seems to keep his team in the game until they score some runs. Hope he keeps it going.
User avatar
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby endlesssleeper » Fri May 28, 2010 12:49 pm

yea, I'm a little worried Talbot is not going to be able to maintain this level of performance. The 1:1 K/BB ratio is suspect, and I think his H/9 are gonna start rising soon. Hope I'm wrong though.
endlesssleeper
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:37 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby jellis » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:59 pm

not ripping on theshow, he is a steady and good poster, but felt like time to drag this out. Might end up being the post of the year
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:01 pm

Definitely the frontrunner in the sub 1000 category.....
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby tribefan611 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:18 pm

I think I have.
User avatar
tribefan611
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:39 am

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:55 pm

tribefan611 wrote:I think I have.


In fairness to Talbot, he only threw 68.1 innings last year due to an arm issue. He's clearly running out of gas. It sucks, but it happens.

He definitely has a guaranteed rotation spot along with carmona and Masterson for 2011 in my book.....at least to start the year.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:08 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
tribefan611 wrote:I think I have.


In fairness to Talbot, he only threw 68.1 innings last year due to an arm issue. He's clearly running out of gas. It sucks, but it happens.

He definitely has a guaranteed rotation spot along with carmona and Masterson for 2011 in my book.....at least to start the year.


He has to be. Even if it's just a matter of lack of better options. Whether he's just out of juice or his back is still bothering him (trust me, back issues mqy get better, but they do not go away) he's been better than anyone could have hoped.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1165
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby endlesssleeper » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:21 am

Talbot's periphals spell trouble for me. his k:bb ratio is particularly bad.
endlesssleeper
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:37 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:24 am

Yeah I dont get why people assume he has a spot in the rotation next year. Hes been awful and as you say 83 K/69 BB ratio. Expect an ERA well above 5 next year if he doesnt improve.
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby bmonnig » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:48 am

Lloyd Christmas wrote:Yeah I dont get why people assume he has a spot in the rotation next year. Hes been awful and as you say 83 K/69 BB ratio. Expect an ERA well above 5 next year if he doesnt improve.


My thought is that Carmona, Masterson and Carrasco should have spots locked up with Talbot, Tomlin, Gomez, etc. battling for the other two spots.
bmonnig
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:44 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby tribefan611 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:46 pm

bmonnig wrote:
Lloyd Christmas wrote:Yeah I dont get why people assume he has a spot in the rotation next year. Hes been awful and as you say 83 K/69 BB ratio. Expect an ERA well above 5 next year if he doesnt improve.


My thought is that Carmona, Masterson and Carrasco should have spots locked up with Talbot, Tomlin, Gomez, etc. battling for the other two spots.


I fully expect Carrasco to make the team, but he won't be given a spot. He will have to earn it. Yeah, I also don't think Talbot has a spot yet either. Carmona and Masterson only ones assured spots IMO.
User avatar
tribefan611
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:39 am

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:48 pm

tribefan611 wrote:Carmona and Masterson only ones assured spots IMO.


They will play it up like a competition, but I can tell you that unless Carrasco is hurt he is 100% opening the season in the big league rotation.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:52 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:Yeah I dont get why people assume he has a spot in the rotation next year. Hes been awful and as you say 83 K/69 BB ratio. Expect an ERA well above 5 next year if he doesnt improve.


Because he is out of minor league options. So either he's in the rotation or we DFA him (no way we stick him in the pen).


If Carmona, Masterson, and Talbot aren't in the rotation I'd be shocked. Talbot may not last the year...but his overall performance, while lacking some, has been more than enough to warrant a 2nd look. ERA of 4.61, and FIP of 4.61....obviously not great, but for this rotation, we can use that. I think Carrasco has to be a near lock for the 4th spot too. Gomez, Huff, and Tomlin can battle for the 5th spot.


I agree on your last sentence. But you can say that about Masterson, Carrasco, Gomez, Tomlin, and Huff. If they don't improve, their ERAs will likely be above 5. I expect Talbot being a full year removed from an elbow strain to improve. But we shall see.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:53 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:Yeah I dont get why people assume he has a spot in the rotation next year. Hes been awful and as you say 83 K/69 BB ratio. Expect an ERA well above 5 next year if he doesnt improve.


Very much agree. He should not be a lock. Being out of options helps him in this case, but I think there is some concern as his numbers are pedestrian, and really since a hot start his first 5-7 starts, he has been below average with a 5+ ERA and terrible peripheral numbers.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby tribefan611 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:52 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Lloyd Christmas wrote:Yeah I dont get why people assume he has a spot in the rotation next year. Hes been awful and as you say 83 K/69 BB ratio. Expect an ERA well above 5 next year if he doesnt improve.


Because he is out of minor league options. So either he's in the rotation or we DFA him (no way we stick him in the pen).


If Carmona, Masterson, and Talbot aren't in the rotation I'd be shocked. Talbot may not last the year...but his overall performance, while lacking some, has been more than enough to warrant a 2nd look. ERA of 4.61, and FIP of 4.61....obviously not great, but for this rotation, we can use that. I think Carrasco has to be a near lock for the 4th spot too. Gomez, Huff, and Tomlin can battle for the 5th spot.


I agree on your last sentence. But you can say that about Masterson, Carrasco, Gomez, Tomlin, and Huff. If they don't improve, their ERAs will likely be above 5. I expect Talbot being a full year removed from an elbow strain to improve. But we shall see.


Care to explain this? I don't see any reason they wouldn't put one of Talbot/Tomlin in the bullpen.
User avatar
tribefan611
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:39 am

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby Edible14 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:23 am

tribefan611 wrote:Care to explain this? I don't see any reason they wouldn't put one of Talbot/Tomlin in the bullpen.


Well, it's really not a great idea to put a guy in the pen and then, at some point, try to bring him back to starting after he's gotten used to relief work (see: Laffey). Talbot's value is as a starter, and I don't think he's the kind of guy where his stuff will "play up" in relief. So, either he makes it as a starter or he doesn't make it, IMO.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:28 am

This team is going to need a long man or 7th guy in the pen next year, a role that Laffey had for most of the last few years. It is quite possible that Laffey takes this role on again next year, but I am not certain he survives the roster cuts this offseason. If he doesn't and is DFAed, I think Tomlin or Talbot become the two likely options to open in the pen. Something along the lines or whoever pitches better in the spring wins the #5 spot and the loser gets the long relief role.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:05 pm

tribefan611 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
Lloyd Christmas wrote:Yeah I dont get why people assume he has a spot in the rotation next year. Hes been awful and as you say 83 K/69 BB ratio. Expect an ERA well above 5 next year if he doesnt improve.


Because he is out of minor league options. So either he's in the rotation or we DFA him (no way we stick him in the pen).


If Carmona, Masterson, and Talbot aren't in the rotation I'd be shocked. Talbot may not last the year...but his overall performance, while lacking some, has been more than enough to warrant a 2nd look. ERA of 4.61, and FIP of 4.61....obviously not great, but for this rotation, we can use that. I think Carrasco has to be a near lock for the 4th spot too. Gomez, Huff, and Tomlin can battle for the 5th spot.


I agree on your last sentence. But you can say that about Masterson, Carrasco, Gomez, Tomlin, and Huff. If they don't improve, their ERAs will likely be above 5. I expect Talbot being a full year removed from an elbow strain to improve. But we shall see.


Care to explain this? I don't see any reason they wouldn't put one of Talbot/Tomlin in the bullpen.


The guy has thrown over 150 innings and has an ERA better than anything we had heading into the 2010 season as a starter. There is absolutely no reason to put him anywhere but the rotation in 2011. He has earned the spot with his OVERALL body of work this year.

I don't see the logic in taking your 2nd or 3rd best SP and putting him in the bullpen to start the year.

If Carrasco, Gomez, White, and Tomlin step up and start to push Talbot out, then you can move him to the bullpen.


I feel the Indians owe it to Talbot and themselves to at worst treat Talbot like the Rays did Sonnanstine. Sonnanstine had a pretty decent 2008. Peripherals were better, but also gave up more HRs. Rays had a lot of young talent coming up but didn't want to push them. Let Sonnanstine start 2009 in the rotation before being demoted and eventually moved to the pen.

Talbot must be in the rotation to start 2011. He has earned it, plain and simple.



As far as getting a long man.....Lewis could go 3 innings if needed. Someone else mentioned this with me, but I'd love to bring back Germano on another minor league deal. Maybe this whole month+ is a mirage, but he's been pretty solid and he can give you 3-4 innings if needed since he has been as starter most of your career. Still not a huge fan of Herrmann either. Realize he wasn't used more as a 1-2 inning guy but has recent experience as a starter. Don't see him becoming a 7th/8th inning guy, so why not groom him as your long man?
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:18 pm

Talbot had a fine year, better than expected, but by no means is any more a lock for the rotation next year than Tomlin. He'll obviously go in with a leg up for the 5th spot because of his okay season and being out of options, but I think there will be consideration for another to replace him in the rotation out of spring depending on how a Tomlin/Gomez do. Since May 1st, in 23 starts he is 6-12 with a 5.14 ERA, .288 BAA, 1.60 WHIP, 4.1 BB/9, 5.4 K/9....yuck. He had a fine April, but the league adjusted to him and he has been a below average pitcher for most of the season. No lock at all if you ask me. Favored? Maybe. Lock? No way.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Has anyone else seen just about enough Mitch Talbot?

Postby tribefan611 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:24 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Talbot had a fine year, better than expected, but by no means is any more a lock for the rotation next year than Tomlin. He'll obviously go in with a leg up for the 5th spot because of his okay season and being out of options, but I think there will be consideration for another to replace him in the rotation out of spring depending on how a Tomlin/Gomez do. Since May 1st, in 23 starts he is 6-12 with a 5.14 ERA, .288 BAA, 1.60 WHIP, 4.1 BB/9, 5.4 K/9....yuck. He had a fine April, but the league adjusted to him and he has been a below average pitcher for most of the season. No lock at all if you ask me. Favored? Maybe. Lock? No way.


Ditto.
User avatar
tribefan611
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:39 am

Next

Return to Beyond The Minors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron