RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Peralta

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Peralta

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:05 pm

Something needs to be done about Peralta. He's hitting under .250 and is limited defensively. Move Asdrubal to short and bring up Valbuena to play second. I can't take Peralta much longer.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: Peralta

Postby JP_Frost » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:25 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Something needs to be done about Peralta. He's hitting under .250 and is limited defensively. Move Asdrubal to short and bring up Valbuena to play second. I can't take Peralta much longer.


He's just in a slump right now. Peralta was pretty damn good at the start of the season, and as long as DeRosa is here, Peralta will stay at short.
User avatar
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2117
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Peralta

Postby npc29 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:56 pm

Wow quick hook much?

Peralta has been one of more clutch hitters these past few years. Like JP said, he's in a slump, everyone goes through them.
npc29
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:59 pm
Location: Kent, OH

Re: Peralta

Postby jellis » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:11 pm

he was only tbe best hitting SS in the AL last year lets cut the bum, its over reactions like that which make scratch my head
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Peralta

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:19 pm

jellis wrote:he was only tbe best hitting SS in the AL last year lets cut the bum, its over reactions like that which make scratch my head


I didn't say to cut him. But, something needs to be done. He may be clutch, but he also can be one of the most inconsistent hitters in our line up.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: Peralta

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:23 pm

Plus, many of you are writing off Ben Francisco who doesn't get as much playing time as Peralta. Why jump the gun?
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: Peralta

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:18 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Plus, many of you are writing off Ben Francisco who doesn't get as much playing time as Peralta. Why jump the gun?

Wow, I never thought I would see Peralta compared to Francisco. Oh, can I try this one. Peralta is one of the best, if not the best overall SS in the AL and is a veteran at a young age. I actually think Francisco is older with limited ML experience. Francisco does not hit as well even though he plays a hitter's position. You must think Francisco is better defensively than Peralta but I would not agree with that assessment.

When you combine these things, it doesn't necessarily mean Francisco isn't valuable but he is more likely to be replaced when your #1 corner OF prospect in the organization is lighting the league up in AAA. Circumstances play a part but many posters on this site picked LaPorta to reach the majors by the end of June. The obvious slots, at least to me, are corner OF and 1B. You do the math. Who would you pick?
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: Peralta

Postby jellis » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Plus, many of you are writing off Ben Francisco who doesn't get as much playing time as Peralta. Why jump the gun?



well you can send down Francisco, he has options and no track record. Perralta has a rough stretch but has the most power potential of any AL SS and was arguably our top hitter last year. How anyone could think after one month that perralta is washed up or needs to be benched where he cant do anything and wont be able to hit out of his slump just makes no sense at all and is the typical knee jerk Cleveland fan reaction
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Peralta

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:09 pm

I love how everyone is saying things that I didn't say. I didn't say he was washed up either, jellis. Benched is a possibility. Wedge even benched him the other day due to his slump. So it's not out of the question. I do agree LaPorta would be the better option than Francisco AT THE PRESENT TIME, but let's not put Peralta to be an elite player. While he can hit for power, he won't be hitting .300, stealing bases, and winning gold gloves.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: Peralta

Postby jellis » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:20 pm

A.Zajac wrote:I love how everyone is saying things that I didn't say. I didn't say he was washed up either, jellis. Benched is a possibility. Wedge even benched him the other day due to his slump. So it's not out of the question. I do agree LaPorta would be the better option than Francisco AT THE PRESENT TIME, but let's not put Peralta to be an elite player. While he can hit for power, he won't be hitting .300, stealing bases, and winning gold gloves.


Perralta provides elite production for his position, for SS what he produces is elite. He is the top hitting SS in AL, top 3 for all of baseball last year that makes him elite for his position. A prolonged benching does zero good for hitters, you have to hit your way out of a slump if we bench him then it doesn't accomplish anything. We are not putting words in your mouth you claimed he needs to be benched and we need to call up a prospect which would add him to the 40 man and shows no faith in Perralta

he got benched for graffino who has played a lot giving rest to both and him and asdrubal
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Peralta

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:37 pm

jellis wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:I love how everyone is saying things that I didn't say. I didn't say he was washed up either, jellis. Benched is a possibility. Wedge even benched him the other day due to his slump. So it's not out of the question. I do agree LaPorta would be the better option than Francisco AT THE PRESENT TIME, but let's not put Peralta to be an elite player. While he can hit for power, he won't be hitting .300, stealing bases, and winning gold gloves.


Perralta provides elite production for his position, for SS what he produces is elite. He is the top hitting SS in AL, top 3 for all of baseball last year that makes him elite for his position. A prolonged benching does zero good for hitters, you have to hit your way out of a slump if we bench him then it doesn't accomplish anything. We are not putting words in your mouth you claimed he needs to be benched and we need to call up a prospect which would add him to the 40 man and shows no faith in Perralta

he got benched for graffino who has played a lot giving rest to both and him and asdrubal


Well, Graff hasn't been doing much himself offensively AND on the base paths. Would you be in favor of releasing him and at least adding Valbuena to the 40-man and major league club? Not to start, yet.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: Peralta

Postby jellis » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:16 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
jellis wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:I love how everyone is saying things that I didn't say. I didn't say he was washed up either, jellis. Benched is a possibility. Wedge even benched him the other day due to his slump. So it's not out of the question. I do agree LaPorta would be the better option than Francisco AT THE PRESENT TIME, but let's not put Peralta to be an elite player. While he can hit for power, he won't be hitting .300, stealing bases, and winning gold gloves.


Perralta provides elite production for his position, for SS what he produces is elite. He is the top hitting SS in AL, top 3 for all of baseball last year that makes him elite for his position. A prolonged benching does zero good for hitters, you have to hit your way out of a slump if we bench him then it doesn't accomplish anything. We are not putting words in your mouth you claimed he needs to be benched and we need to call up a prospect which would add him to the 40 man and shows no faith in Perralta

he got benched for graffino who has played a lot giving rest to both and him and asdrubal


Well, Graff hasn't been doing much himself offensively AND on the base paths. Would you be in favor of releasing him and at least adding Valbuena to the 40-man and major league club? Not to start, yet.



I wouldnt be opposed to dropping graff, but valbuena needs to play every day in AAA
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Peralta

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:46 am

Peralta will be fine.....he has a proven track record. Francisco doesn't. I do think at some point Peralta should slide over to 3B to get Valbuena up here (though Valbuena has been splitting time at SS/2B in Columbus).
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Peralta

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:08 am

Consigliere wrote:Peralta will be fine.....he has a proven track record. Francisco doesn't. I do think at some point Peralta should slide over to 3B to get Valbuena up here (though Valbuena has been splitting time at SS/2B in Columbus).

This is really weird. You and I, who could not reach anything approaching a consensus on this issue, are getting real close. The season is still young but Valbuena is giving every indication he will force his way to Cleveland just the way LaPorta is doing. It is possible he will make a utility player out of DeRosa this year. Won't solve the problems with the pitching staff but it is likely to be an imposing batting order.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: Peralta

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:38 am

DeRosa won't become a utility guy.....but you could see him traded if we fall out of it. I just can't see Wedge benching a vet like DeRosa no matter how good a prospect is doing in AAA.....


As far as Peralta.....April is actually his worst month of the year. His career OPS in April is .691....and it's at .634 now. He's a slow starter. Maybe move him down in the lineup to get this going like the Tribe has done in the past and then move him back up to the 5th spot. I still think he can get 100 runs/100 rbis this year.....30 HRs may be a stretch but still should be able to get 20. Just needs that first one to get him going.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Peralta

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:03 am

For the record, Luis V is already on the 40 man roster.
My guess is Tony G gets let go when Jaime Carroll is ready to go.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: Peralta

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:57 am

Hermie13 wrote:DeRosa won't become a utility guy.....but you could see him traded if we fall out of it. I just can't see Wedge benching a vet like DeRosa no matter how good a prospect is doing in AAA.....


As far as Peralta.....April is actually his worst month of the year. His career OPS in April is .691....and it's at .634 now. He's a slow starter. Maybe move him down in the lineup to get this going like the Tribe has done in the past and then move him back up to the 5th spot. I still think he can get 100 runs/100 rbis this year.....30 HRs may be a stretch but still should be able to get 20. Just needs that first one to get him going.

Call it what you like, De Rosa is a utility player who is currently playing 3B. He is not a long term solution and whether they trade him or move him around is pretty irrelevant, isn't it?
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: Peralta

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:20 am

indianinkslinger wrote:Call it what you like, De Rosa is a utility player who is currently playing 3B. He is not a long term solution and whether they trade him or move him around is pretty irrelevant, isn't it?


He's basically Casey Blake (but better IMO); however, Wedge NEVER would have made Blake a bench player. Not saying it's right, but it's just how Wedge works. Tribe's paying DeRosa over $5M and traded 3 prospects for him....he'll start 6 days a week regardless.....


I think I know what you're trying to say.....but a 'utility guy' doesn't play everday. DeRosa may play 3-4 different positions a week...but he'll be in the lineup just about everyday. Or are you saying you actually think DeRosa may be moved to the bench permanantly like Aaron Boone was in 2006? So guess it could happen.....though I don't think DeRosa has fallen to Boone levels just yet....

I also question whether Wedge would move Peralta to 3B mid-season....yes, Peratla played there in winter ball and a bit in ST...but I don't know...Just doesn't feel like a move Wedge would make at the moment. Now to start next year? yeah I could see that. Plus Peralta is already struggling....not sure switching positions is the best thing for him this year.....just focus on hitting and playing SS, then worry about playing 3B next year....
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Peralta

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:22 am

indianinkslinger wrote:Call it what you like, De Rosa is a utility player who is currently playing 3B. He is not a long term solution and whether they trade him or move him around is pretty irrelevant, isn't it?


So was Casey Blake though for several years.....and DeRosa is bacially Blake (though better IMO); however, Wedge NEVER would have made Blake a bench player. Not saying it's right, but it's just how Wedge works. Tribe's paying DeRosa over $5M and traded 3 prospects for him....he'll start 6 days a week regardless.....


I think I know what you're trying to say.....but a 'utility guy' doesn't play everday. DeRosa may play 3-4 different positions a week...but he'll be in the lineup just about everyday. Or are you saying you actually think DeRosa may be moved to the bench permanantly like Aaron Boone was in 2006? So guess it could happen.....though I don't think DeRosa has fallen to Boone levels just yet....

I also question whether Wedge would move Peralta to 3B mid-season....yes, Peratla played there in winter ball and a bit in ST...but I don't know...Just doesn't feel like a move Wedge would make at the moment. Now to start next year? yeah I could see that. Plus Peralta is already struggling....not sure switching positions is the best thing for him this year.....just focus on hitting and playing SS, then worry about playing 3B next year....
Last edited by Hermie13 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Peralta

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:33 pm

I understand people's frustration with Peralta. Alot of times, Jhonny is the scapegoat for a bad game or season, and it's probably because of his demeanor. If you take Grady for example, you can see he's trying hard even though he goes through bad stretches as well, but with Peralta it seems as if he doesn't care -- his face is basically the same when he hits a homerun or strikes out with the bases loaded. Obviously, I don't know him personally, but I'm pretty sure he's very frustrated with himself during these slumps. I also think Peralta's defense gets a somewhat unfair treatment. He's by no means a great defensive shortstop, but he's not as awful as some people say he is. Looking at his stats and it seems he's just a couple of runs below average, and in some cases even a couple above average. All in all, Peralta provides great value at a premium position with the positives definately outweighing the negatives. Let's not forget that he's still just 26-years old -- it seems he's been around forever, but he's basically still a fairly young player.

As far as the comparison between BenFran and Peralta goes -- like Tony pointed out, Peralta has a track record of success, and BenFran simply doesn't. I feel that Francisco has been given a good long look and it doesn't seem that his production justifies an everyday corner outfield role. He's actually a 4th outfielder, but even that has to be questioned, because his defense has been very shaky (which really surprises me given his athleticism). If you combine his skills with his age, 27-years old, there isn't alot of upside left, and there's absolutely no reason why he should be given 400+ AB's with LaPorta knocking on the door (pun intended).

Last but not least, Valbuena. He's on a tear right now and is showing everyone he's the 2nd baseman of the future. I doubt that the future will begin this season, but after DeRosa is gone he should be at the top of the list. Moving Peralta to third seems to make alot of sense, but the FO's hesitation to execute the move could be warranted. Maybe Peralta doesn't want to move, or perhaps he simply isn't that good at third? Obviously, his bat doesn't play as well at the hot corner as it does at short, but given the emergence of Asdrubal and Valbuena's impressive showing, some sort of move will probably be made sooner rather than later (though it's like in 2010 instead of 2009, unless things go horribly wrong). The exact role of Peralta is uncertain, at least to us, so we'll have to wait and see.
User avatar
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2117
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:01 pm


Return to Beyond The Minors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests