RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Tony Sipp called up !

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Tony Sipp called up !

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:41 pm

Wedge just announced that Tony Sipp is coming up, Jackson goes down. Good luck Tony.
Lord know we could use help in the pen.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Tony Sipp called up !

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:53 pm

I knew Sipp would get here this season, I just thought it would be after May 1st.
Guess the struggles of Raffy left have the team very worried.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Jake Taylor » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:10 pm

We need this move right now. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Meloan called up, as well if Chulk and Smith don't turn it around real quickly.

Hopefully Sipp takes some pressure off of Perez and allows him to get back to his dominant self.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:31 am

Just posted an article on Sipp....what timing!

Had to tweak it some to tie in with the callup.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:39 am

I'll be curious to see how they use him at first. There was a definite need for a LH in that 8th inning last night, but will they thrust him right into those high leverage situations? But at this point does it matter. Somebody needs to step up and it may as well be him. I saw him pitch Sunday in C-bus and he was nasty with his slider, and his fastball was consistently 92-94. Maybe he can become this seasons Raffy Perez circa 2007. That would be a huge boost, especially if Perez can rediscover his slider.
Michael
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:02 am

Definitely a needed move......just hope Wedge learns how to use him unlike most his other relievers.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:55 am

I'm happy for him, I can't wait to see him contribute.

But didn't Shapiro just say there was no one performing on Columbus that could help the team?

That's kind of odd to then turn around and call up Sipp.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:33 am

The job Tony did on Sunday was OUTSTANDING. So much of this game is confidence, and I think Tony can use this game as a springboard to future success. I think it will give Wedge confidence in him too. I think Tony has the potential to be more than just another RP. It's great to see him have early success after having some setbacks in his career. Go Tony! :s_drinks
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:18 am

You saw right there on Sunday why he was a heralded relief pitching prospect going into the 2007 season befor ethe elbow injury, and why now that he is back from it how he can help this team and impact the bullpen.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:35 pm

I was surprised by his velocity. Most reports had him between 89-93, but it looks like he's consistently at 93 MPH and touching 94. His fastball must seem even harder due to his deception. Love his poise as well.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:51 pm

Sipp has been a very good reliever so far. Knock on wood.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby dnosco » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:30 pm

The guy is one bad call away from being perfect so far even though I think he may have gotten a makeup call..or two. later on last night. In any case they are challenging him with pressure situations and multiple innings and, so far, the elbow is holding up fine...knock on wood.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby chitowntribephan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:10 pm

Oh, Dennis. Please, whatever you do, don't knock on Wood. We need Kerry so badly to stabilize the bullpen and I'm concerned even the slightest 'knock' might send him to the DL.

Perhaps you could state instead, "[Sipp's] elbow is holding up fine...just hold your breath".

But, yes, given what else we've seen from the BP so far, Sipp has been a very welcome addition and let's hope his early success is a sign of things to come.
chitowntribephan
Draft Prospect

Postby Bsblsuperfans » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:48 pm

Congratulations to Sipp-outstanding year so far. I'm thrilled to see Wedge giving Perez a breather and someone a chance to make a difference. La Porta, Sowers and Huff have also got their game on, certainly deserving of moves upward, hopefully before All Stars. Cleveland needs more than one shot in the arm.
Bsblsuperfans
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:27 pm

Bsblsuperfans wrote:Congratulations to Sipp-outstanding year so far. I'm thrilled to see Wedge giving Perez a breather and someone a chance to make a difference. La Porta, Sowers and Huff have also got their game on, certainly deserving of moves upward, hopefully before All Stars. Cleveland needs more than one shot in the arm.

If you can pitch, you WILL get a chance this year! We need arms! This bullpen is KILLING them (us). :s_crazy
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Return to Beyond The Minors