RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Dellucci rehabbing

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Dellucci rehabbing

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:17 pm

Not that he's been all that missed....but Dellucci is rehabbing in Columbus now. Started as their DH in last night's game. Went 1 for 4 with an RBI single.

Interesting decision when he comes back....does Crowe go down or a relief pitcher?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Dellucci rehabbing

Postby npc29 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:40 pm

I think it depends on where we are as a team.

But Really, does this team need five outfielders? I'd almost want to send Crowe down just to get regular time because you know they want to give Dellucci a shot.

In a perfect world, we would just dump Dellucci, but that's probably unlikely.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:53 pm

npc29 wrote:I think it depends on where we are as a team.

But Really, does this team need five outfielders? I'd almost want to send Crowe down just to get regular time because you know they want to give Dellucci a shot.

In a perfect world, we would just dump Dellucci, but that's probably unlikely.

That would send a pretty bad message though. You gotta at least give him a week to 10 days at the minimum before you cut him. A player doesn't lose his roster spot due to injury as the Tribe says......though as they showed with Marte in 2007, he's on a very, very short leash when he gets back......

Doubt this really plays much into the Tribe plans (and correct me if I'm mistaken)....but if we send Crowe down, it'll add an extra year before he's a free agent. As it stands now, Crowe will be a free agent after the 2014 season since he's been on the ML roster from day 1 this season.....if sent down for while it'll be 2015 at the earliest.....

Crowe was already 'optioned' once this year though so assuming this already counts as his first option year (or no?).....

I know our pitchers were struggling....but I still don't like having 8 bullpen arms. Kobayashi didn't pitch for 5 days once already this year because the pen is overcrowded. Not that Wedge knows how to use a bench....but it would be nice to have an extra bat there.....even if it's a 5th outfielder.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:53 pm

Rehab can be as long as 20 days. No need to cut it short at this point. Let's see where things stand about 16 days from now.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:18 pm

Saw Dellucci in the clubhouse on Sunday. Going to be very interesting to see what they do with him. I'm still 50/50 on him joining the Indians anytime this season. Only thing that saves him to me is an injury to one of the current position players.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Jake Taylor » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:12 pm

I hope you're right, Tony, I don't want to see Dellucci at all this year in Cleveland... unless he's bagging my groceries.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:46 am

Consigliere wrote:Saw Dellucci in the clubhouse on Sunday. Going to be very interesting to see what they do with him. I'm still 50/50 on him joining the Indians anytime this season. Only thing that saves him to me is an injury to one of the current position players.

wow...really? I'd say it's 100% unless he has a major setback. Looch was set to make the club before the injury.....I can't see the Tribe changing their policy for him......

If Crowe and Francisco were really raking then I could possibly see it, but both have struggled early (OPS's are .593 & .670, respectively). I actually think Looch would be an upgrade offensively at this point.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:00 am

Hermie13 wrote:
That would send a pretty bad message though. You gotta at least give him a week to 10 days at the minimum before you cut him. A player doesn't lose his roster spot due to injury as the Tribe says......though as they showed with Marte in 2007, he's on a very, very short leash when he gets back......

Doubt this really plays much into the Tribe plans (and correct me if I'm mistaken)....but if we send Crowe down, it'll add an extra year before he's a free agent. As it stands now, Crowe will be a free agent after the 2014 season since he's been on the ML roster from day 1 this season.....if sent down for while it'll be 2015 at the earliest.....

Crowe was already 'optioned' once this year though so assuming this already counts as his first option year (or no?).....

I know our pitchers were struggling....but I still don't like having 8 bullpen arms. Kobayashi didn't pitch for 5 days once already this year because the pen is overcrowded. Not that Wedge knows how to use a bench....but it would be nice to have an extra bat there.....even if it's a 5th outfielder.....

Free agency is based off of major league service time, where a player becomes a free agent after six full seasons and a season is based on 172 days of service. With an MLB season roughly lasting 180-185 days, Crowe would have to be sent down for about two weeks to ensure that his service time does not accrue a full season this year, thus extending his free agency out another season to 2015.

As far as the option year, I believe that he still has it. If I remember correctly the rule says that if the total amount of time that a player is optioned down lasts less than 20 days before they are called back up, then the option does not count. But with this being inside of Spring Training I am not 100% on the ruling.
Michael
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:05 am

Michael wrote:Free agency is based off of major league service time, where a player becomes a free agent after six full seasons and a season is based on 172 days of service. With an MLB season roughly lasting 180-185 days, Crowe would have to be sent down for about two weeks to ensure that his service time does not accrue a full season this year, thus extending his free agency out another season to 2015.

As far as the option year, I believe that he still has it. If I remember correctly the rule says that if the total amount of time that a player is optioned down lasts less than 20 days before they are called back up, then the option does not count. But with this being inside of Spring Training I am not 100% on the ruling.

well by rule he'd have to stay down for 10 days anyways......so that's not really the issue.....

Yeah the option thing I wasn't sure about since it was before the season started. Sure Tony could shed some light on it. Either way, not sure the option thing should have much bearing on what they do with Crowe. Crowe is no spring chicken....the earliest season that he could be out of options is heading into the 2012 season....and he'll be 28 then.....if he doesn't have a job of some kind locked up with the Tribe by that age, then he's not going to so losing him won't really hurt....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:09 am

Hermie13 wrote:
Consigliere wrote:Saw Dellucci in the clubhouse on Sunday. Going to be very interesting to see what they do with him. I'm still 50/50 on him joining the Indians anytime this season. Only thing that saves him to me is an injury to one of the current position players.

wow...really? I'd say it's 100% unless he has a major setback. Looch was set to make the club before the injury.....I can't see the Tribe changing their policy for him......

If Crowe and Francisco were really raking then I could possibly see it, but both have struggled early (OPS's are .593 & .670, respectively). I actually think Looch would be an upgrade offensively at this point.

I agree. What I find interesting will be the accompanying move to go along with a DD callup. As we know he is stuck to LF/DH - and with Crowe down, who would backup CF/RF? Plus, bench speed would be gone. I would guess that Barfield would accompany DD back on the roster to maintain some flexibility with Crowe going down to play everyday, and a relief pitcher being shipped out.
Michael
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:12 am

Michael wrote:I agree. What I find interesting will be the accompanying move to go along with a DD callup. As we know he is stuck to LF/DH - and with Crowe down, who would backup CF/RF? Plus, bench speed would be gone. I would guess that Barfield would accompany DD back on the roster to maintain some flexibility with Crowe going down to play everyday, and a relief pitcher being shipped out.

eh, Francisco can play both CF and RF. And Garko started in RF the other day (REALLY want to see more of that....this lineup is best with Vic, Garko, and Shoppach in the lineup instead of Francisco). So don't think the OF is the issue.....the speed is a tad worrisome though....but Wedge doesn't really use the speed he's got most of the time. So for the 2-3 weeks that Looch is given his 'trial period' it shouldn't really hurt.

I too am wondering how long we will go with only a 3-man bench and 8-man pen......
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:24 pm

No option has been used on Crowe yet this year. So, when/if he is sent down for Dellucci, it will mark the first use of one of his three option years. If in fact Dellucci comes back to the team, it may end up being Francisco who is optioned out because the club loves Crowe's versatility. Francisco has versatility, but really, compared to Crowe it is not even close. We;ll see in about two weeks.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:28 pm

Consigliere wrote:No option has been used on Crowe yet this year. So, when/if he is sent down for Dellucci, it will mark the first use of one of his three option years. If in fact Dellucci comes back to the team, it may end up being Francisco who is optioned out because the club loves Crowe's versatility. Francisco has versatility, but really, compared to Crowe it is not even close. We;ll see in about two weeks.

Thanks for the update. So take it that rule still applies to pre-season options?

ha, I know most don't care about minor league stolen base numbers.....but did anyone else catch that Dellucci had not one but TWO stolen bases in yesterday's Clippers game? Sounds like his calf is feeling alright......

I do like Crowe over Francisco.....but Crowe just seems way too overmatched at the plate now. It's not like he's got much experience above AA either....
Last edited by Hermie13 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:35 pm

Yes. Same situation as Sizemore-Gonzalez in 2005.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:36 pm

Consigliere wrote:Yes. Same situation as Sizemore-Gonzalez in 2005.

:s_thumbsup gotcha
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors