RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Wedge and the bullpen....

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Wedge and the bullpen....

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:57 pm

Can someone please explain to me what Wedge has been thinking lately with the bullpen? Cause I for one am Flabbergasted.

He bring out Jensen Lewis on Wednesday after struggling the inning before WITH Betancourt already warmed up in the bullpen and the team clinging to a 2 run lead. We get out of the inning still with a one run lead thanks to Teahan's huge baserunning error. We hang on and win the game though.....so I let that slide....

Then yesterday we have an 8 RUN LEAD, and he bring in Betancourt! Why?! The guy pitched barely 24 hours ago with a travel and 1 hour time change in between! Where is Chulk or Kobayahi in that situation? I mean, what's the point of carrying 8 relievers if you keep runnign the same guy out there? It was no shock to me that Betancourt struggled with his command.

Then today.....we have a 1 run lead in the 7th and NOW he decides to bring in Chulk.....good grief. Chulk didn't pitch 'that' bad but his leadoff walk came around to score after a HUGE error by himself.

Please tell me Wedge actually has a plan and isn't just pulling names out of a hat everyday or spinning a bullpen wheel to see who to bring in? I swear it seems like he's got a monkey running around in his head like Homer Simpson!! :s_shout

I'm not sure how much more of this I can take.....it's been like 6 years now...how long does it take to figure out a bullpen?! :s_hang
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Wedge and the bullpen....

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:59 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Can someone please explain to me what Wedge has been thinking lately with the bullpen? Cause I for one am Flabbergasted.

He bring out Jensen Lewis on Wednesday after struggling the inning before WITH Betancourt already warmed up in the bullpen and the team clinging to a 2 run lead. We get out of the inning still with a one run lead thanks to Teahan's huge baserunning error. We hang on and win the game though.....so I let that slide....

Then yesterday we have an 8 RUN LEAD, and he bring in Betancourt! Why?! The guy pitched barely 24 hours ago with a travel and 1 hour time change in between! Where is Chulk or Kobayahi in that situation? I mean, what's the point of carrying 8 relievers if you keep runnign the same guy out there? It was no shock to me that Betancourt struggled with his command.

Then today.....we have a 1 run lead in the 7th and NOW he decides to bring in Chulk.....good grief. Chulk didn't pitch 'that' bad but his leadoff walk came around to score after a HUGE error by himself.
Probably until he has some talent which is in short supply. His three late inning relievers are pitching very poorly. I am not sure what you expect him to do. They are walking time bombs! :s_bomb

Please tell me Wedge actually has a plan and isn't just pulling names out of a hat everyday or spinning a bullpen wheel to see who to bring in? I swear it seems like he's got a monkey running around in his head like Homer Simpson!! :s_shout

I'm not sure how much more of this I can take.....it's been like 6 years now...how long does it take to figure out a bullpen?! :s_hang

Probably until he has some talent which is in short supply. His three late inning relievers are pitching very poorly. I am not sure what you expect him to do. They are walking time bombs! :s_bomb
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby npc29 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:36 am

Yeah I agree but I'm sure he's pulling his hair out with the way the starters are going.

I didn't understand the Betancourt move, I think he miscalculated it. But when your starters are only going 5 innings just about every night, you are put in a bad position, especially with Perez struggling.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:07 pm

what can he do when you SP is some of the worst in baseball and the guy who would have been the main cog of pen, Perez, just doesnt have it at all right now
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:04 pm

He leaves his starts in too long, doesn't have a whole lot to work with in the 'pen, equal blame.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Bsblsuperfans » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:00 pm

I personally think it's time to mix things up!
Bsblsuperfans
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:37 pm

Can we get a Juan Salas update? If your going to deal to get a depth guy at least we can find out if he is a viable option at this point (or not).

We have heard in the last few days that Adam Miller had a setback earlier this week so he isn't a possible solution.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:19 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Can we get a Juan Salas update? If your going to deal to get a depth guy at least we can find out if he is a viable option at this point (or not).

We have heard in the last few days that Adam Miller had a setback earlier this week so he isn't a possible solution.

As of now, Salas is not an option. Do we really have any serious options at this time other than Meloan and Sipp? Not sure either or both is completely ready but they pitched reasonably well this week and the Tribe is taking on water fast. Just not a good group of relievers now.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:59 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:
MadThinker88 wrote:Can we get a Juan Salas update? If your going to deal to get a depth guy at least we can find out if he is a viable option at this point (or not).

As of now, Salas is not an option. Do we really have any serious options at this time other than Meloan and Sipp? Not sure either or both is completely ready but they pitched reasonably well this week and the Tribe is taking on water fast. Just not a good group of relievers now.

I think Sipp is still a few months away and Meloan as well. But, if we needed someone, I'd take Meloan right now.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:49 am

indianinkslinger wrote:As of now, Salas is not an option. Do we really have any serious options at this time other than Meloan and Sipp? Not sure either or both is completely ready but they pitched reasonably well this week and the Tribe is taking on water fast. Just not a good group of relievers now.

Again, Betancourt has looked very solid when he's used correctly. And Kobayashi has actually pitched very well (HUGE suprise to me at least).

Perez and Lewis need to get it toghether....I have confidence in Perez.....Lewis I've never been a huge fan of though and wonder just how good he really is.....

I wouldn't mind Sipp or Meloan being brought up though.....like both (especially Meloan)....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:55 pm

I think the two "Home runs" that Lewis gave up would probably be lazy pop flies in most of the other parks in the league. He's more of a fly-ball pitcher, so I don't think his "struggles" in that series are a good indicator of how he's pitching right now. Kansas City was bad, but the only blemishes he had against New York were the two home runs.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:07 pm

Both HRs though had a lot of the plate........but I hope you're right. Glad we're finally getting some extended time at home....and a day off! Can't believe how messed up the schedule is early on.....well take that back, i can...lol
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:19 pm

At least we haven't had any rainouts.....yet

This weather better stop or the schedule is going to get crazier.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:22 pm

npc29 wrote:At least we haven't had any rainouts.....yet

Rain in the forecast for Northeast Ohio for the next two days. Cross our fingers.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:25 am

You had to go and say it didn't you, lol. Was thinking of going to the game tonight but you probably just jinxed it for me :s_sarcastic
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:39 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

You had to go and say it didn't you, lol. Was thinking of going to the game tonight but you probably just jinxed it for me :s_sarcastic

Hey we actually have the sun out right now in Akron. Maybe things are looking up.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:55 pm

npc29 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Hey we actually have the sun out right now in Akron. Maybe things are looking up.

It's out up here in downtown Cleveland too.....but according to weather.com it's suppose to start raining around 6 tonight :s_sad
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors