RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Laffey is promoted

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Laffey is promoted

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:46 am

Laffey will start Wednesday's game as a replacement for Scott Lewis in the Indians rotation. We will now have a back to back of Pavano and Laffey until the Indians come to their senses. Either Sowers or Huff would have been a better choice. Both are pitching much better than Laffey whose control is terrible. He was lit up in the spring and was atrocious in his 3+ innings last week. Wedge made some obligatory comments trying to divert attention from how bad it was but BS just does not cut it. I will be really curious to see who they send down. They may just keep an extra reliever and send J-Barf to Columbus. :s_bomb :s_scratchhead
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Re: Laffey is promoted

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:25 am

Yeah I really thought Sowers deserved the call. He's on the 40-man and pitched the best of any of the lefties the last 2 weeks of the spring. Huff may have the better upside, but let's not rush him just yet. Maybe they think Laffey recapture the form he had in May last year.....but we'll see....

It will be interesting who they send down. I know Crowe has played a decent amount and done alright, but he may be the guy sent down. Graffanino, Barfield, and derosa can serve as the backup outfielder for a while. But the fact that barfield still doesn't have an at-bat is a bit odd (well not really considering who the manager is). He really should be sent down so he can get some regular at-bats.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:04 am

I think Crowe brings a more useful skill set as a 4th OF than JBarf right now. Probably close contest at DPR. Not sure Columbus gets Barfield much more PAs unless it is at SS.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:09 am

indianinkslinger wrote:I think Crowe brings a more useful skill set as a 4th OF than JBarf right now. Probably close contest at DPR. Not sure Columbus gets Barfield much more PAs unless it is at SS.

Crowe does bring a more usefull skill set, but I don't think Wedge is the type of manager to ever utilize those skills (his speed). I think Barfield can play some 2B in AAA. Valbuena will get 1 start a week likely at SS, at least. Then Barfield could play some LF/CF instead of Head (with Brantley and LaPorta out there too). Maybe he only plays 4 times a week but that's still better than Cleveland where he's playing 0 times a week right now....

Not good when Graffanino gets a start before you.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:36 pm

If Barfield goes down, he might also get some playing time in CF.

Personally I would see if the Dodgers would be interested for the recent DFA D. Young
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:12 am

It's Barfield to Columbus' rescue. Maybe he can get some time at SS to go along with backup at 2B and OF. Like Marte, he is pretty much a 5th wheel. No place to go and pretty unwanted. Not much future when Carroll returns.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:56 am

eh, I wouldn't completely rule out Barfield just yet. Carroll, DeRosa, and Graffanino are all scheduled to be free agents next year. we'll need a utility man in 2010.....right now Barfield seems primed to be the main guy (not the 2nd utility infielder like this year).

Tribe has a hole in the OF and SS right now at AAA (unless you count Valdez/Cannizaro and Head as good options, which I don't), so there are places for Barfield to go still at AAA.

I don't see really where Delwyn Young fits with the Tribe....though I did read we were interested. He's out of options so would have to stay on the big league club....which is doable now I guess, just demote Crowe. But then begs the question, what do you do when Looch and Carroll are back? And is Young really any better than Barfield? Plays bascially the same positions and hasn't done much at the ML level....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:04 pm

I guess you can count out Delwyn Young now that he's a Pirate.

I agree with Hermie though. I'd be holding onto Barfield for now. He has a use if his talent doesn't pan out like we thought it would and he's a whole heck of a lot cheaper than most utility players.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Return to Beyond The Minors