Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

lee

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

lee

Postby jellis » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:51 pm

the stats look bad for those who can watch the game how does he look? I mean this might be a worse start than any he had last year. I can only learn so much from gamecast
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Re: lee

Postby petes999 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:54 pm

Looks like he can't locate the fastball. He is putting too many down the middle of the plate.

He did have some bad luck with getting hit during the 2nd inning as it would have been a sure out ... limiting the damage. Yet, he needs to find the corners more.
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:03 pm

Been throwing it down the middle from what I hear since being drilled in the left arm.....

Though from what I'm being told (I'm at work getting text messages), he looked better this last inning.....hopefully it was just a mental thing (or a bad inning is all).

ha, let's not get too worried on the first day.....or this will be a long season, lol :s_coffee
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:57 pm

our rotation is what will sink us and i lee ends up looking more like 2007 form I dont think we go a chance
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:03 pm

jellis wrote:our rotation is what will sink us and i lee ends up looking more like 2007 form I dont think we go a chance

eh, if you would have told me that in 2007 2/5th of our rotation would be in AAA I'd have said we had no chance......and that's exactly what happened (Lee and Sowers).

This year won't be as easy to overcome obviously without CC, but still can be done.

He had 2 bad innings...one thanks to getting drilled by a ball. CC was knocked around just as bad last year on opening day......things turned out alright for him don't forget. Here's hoping same thing happens to Cliff Lee (minus the getting traded part, lol)

:s_drinks
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:34 pm

Cliff has never really pitched well in Texas.... I wouldn't start to panic. I wasn't able to see him pitch today, but it sounds like what you've guys have been saying.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby dnosco » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:01 am

The only problem with this performance is that it mirrors his ST performance. I would be more concerned if he hadn't been hit on the left forearm before all the mess really started. He seemed to breeze through the first inning so there is a logic behind the disaster that was yesterday.

To me, as I said, the only problem is that he looked just like this all spring so, if you throw out him getting hit on the arm, this would probably be a time for panic.

Then again, CC gave up 6 runs, walked 5 and struck out no one yesterday and the Cardinals rookie catcher turned closer gave up 4 runs in the 9th to blow a save and lose the game.

...and Guthrie beat CC, but that is another discussion. :-)
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:21 am

Personally I wasn't too worried with his spring training numbers. Yeah, the ERA and BAA were high.....but he didn't really throw many breaking balls to start...and he STILL had a video game like K/BB ratio (18 K's vs only 2 walks!). He then had 5 K's and only 1 walk yesterday. He looked absolutely filthy in the 3rd and 4th innings. That breaking ball was a thing of beauty there for a while.

Not to make excuses (though guess I am)....but it was pretty chilly yesterday even though it was in Texas. Was only 49 degrees. yes, i realize it'll be even colder in Cleveland this weekend and for much of April likely, but we saw with CC last year that the warmer weather can really help a pitcher out.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:07 pm

earned runs lee gave up per month last year

April 2008: 4

May: 11

June: 12

July: 15

August: 8

September: 13
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:06 am

alright? We all knew he wasn't going to fully repeat that performance.

If he has an ERA around 3.3 I'll be happy (like CC in 2007).

Speaking of Lee.....any word on his arm from where he was hit on Monday? I'm assuming no news is good news but he did have a pretty good sized bump on his arm.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors