Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Carroll to the DL; Graffanino added to the roster

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Carroll to the DL; Graffanino added to the roster

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:51 am

Jamey Carroll was placed on the 15-day DL making room for Graffanino to be recalled and giving a roster spot. Tribe had 2 open 40-man spots so was an easy move to make.

As some will recall, Carroll was hit on the hand late in the game Saturday. They thought it was just a bruise at first but it turns out there's a break in the hand (not serious though).

This will be Carroll's 1st trip to the DL in his ML career.

Graffanino will basically fill the exact same role as he can play all the positions plus 1B that Carroll can.

Carroll will be eligible to come off the DL on April 20th.

The 40-man is now at 39 with Graffanino's add. He'll wear #4.

Never a good thing to see a guy go on the DL like Carroll....but I am happy for Graffanino. I really was hoping he'd make this club originally.

He brings a lot to the table other than his versatility. He can hit for power (9HR in limited play in 2007 with the Brewers), can steal a base, and can lay down a bunt (bunt single this weekend).

Should be a good influence on the young guys, especially Cabrera and Barfield.

O, and just wanted to point out I said the Tribe should sign this guy back in November......maybe I wasn't such an 'idiot' afterall :s_tongue (sorry, I had to lol)
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Carroll to the DL; Graffanino added to the roster

Postby dnosco » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:20 pm

I think Graffanino is a help as a pinch hitter off the bench which is not really what this team needs (especially a right-handed pinch hitter) but I do think that it might help us win a game if he had to pinch hit in a tight situation instead of it being Carroll.

Still, Carroll will be back soon enough and Graffanino will have a chance to make an impression before he heads to Columbus.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Re: Carroll to the DL; Graffanino added to the roster

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:42 pm

hmm....lil surprised by that comment coming from you dnosco. But fair enough.

Graffanino (other than last year which he missed due to injury) has been the better hitter between himself and Carroll over the last 4-5 years. Carroll was better in 2006....but that was it (and even then he was barely better). Graffinino almost always puts up better numbers.

It'll be really interesting to see how Wedge uses his bench now....

With Carroll you pretty much knew he'd be the first guy used as a spot starter on the infield as Wedge loves him....but with Graffanino....Barfield may actually see more time....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors