RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Hafner is Opening Day cleanup hitter ?!?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Hafner is Opening Day cleanup hitter ?!?

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:23 pm

Wedge named his opening day lineup against Texas and Hafner is the cleanup hitter. (Victor is playing 1st, no Garko).
I'm a big Hafner fan, but I didn't think he did anything in AZ that says he's ready to be the #4 hitter. I know Wedge backs his players, but if I'm playing the game to win, I don't put a hole in the middle of the lineup. I really can't understand the reasoning.
I know he won't play every day for now, but I think there's less pressure and better for the team if he hit's about 7th until he shows he can drive the ball consistently. :s_no
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Hafner is Opening Day cleanup hitter ?!?

Postby jellis » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:36 pm

1. CF Grady Sizemore
2. 3B Mark DeRosa
3. 1B Victor Martinez
4. DH Travis Hafner
5. SS Jhonny Peralta
6. RF Shin-Soo Choo
7. C Kelly Shoppach
8. LF Ben Francisco
9. 2B Asdrubal Cabrera

complete line up, I would switch 4 and 5, and prolly have Pronk 6th but I cant complain too much

just realized I didnt have a complete thought there
Last edited by jellis on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:48 pm

jellis wrote:1. CF Grady Sizemore
2. 3B Mark DeRosa
3. 1B Victor Martinez
4. DH Travis Hafner
5. SS Jhonny Peralta
6. RF Shin-Soo Choo
7. C Kelly Shoppach
8. LF Ben Francisco
9. 2B Asdrubal Cabrera

complete line up, I would switch 4 and 5, and prolly have Pronk but I cant complain too much

Looks OK to me. I wouldn't have Hafner and Choo batting back to back but that probably does not make much difference with Millwood on the mound. Pronk showed some improvement during the last week. Trial by fire for the big guy!
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby dnosco » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:15 pm

Just a thought:

1. CF Grady Sizemore
2. 3B Mark DeRosa
3. 1B Victor Martinez
4. SS Jhonny Peralta
5. DH Travis Hafner
6. LF Ben Francisco
7. RF Shin-Soo Choo
8. C Kelly Shoppach
9. 2B Asdrubal Cabrera

That, to me, makes so much sense. Hafner went 0-4 again. Wedge is giving Hafner respect. We talk about doing what is best to help the Cleveland Indians win and then no one seems too concerned with Hafner hitting 4th. The lineup above works just as well, in my opinion. Perhaps it even works better. Having Hafner hit 5th, if he is truly still very off, may be the end of an inning with Francisco leading off the next inning. Then you go to Choo who doesn't ground into many DPs and Shoppach, who is all or nothing and so won't hit into a rally-killer. Then, if you are done again, Cabrera hits with two outs or leads off an inning.

I think this lineup works much better. The only reason not to do it? Wedge is giving Hafner more respect than he deserves...and it is very likely to hurt this team.

Hitting him 5th makes a lot of sense from Hafner saving some face to making the lineup better.

With every game important Hafner shouldn't hit cleanup until he proves he can. Heck, I don't think he should be in the lineup until he proves he can hit.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:47 pm

dnosco wrote:Just a thought:

1. CF Grady Sizemore
2. 3B Mark DeRosa
3. 1B Victor Martinez
4. SS Jhonny Peralta
5. DH Travis Hafner
6. LF Ben Francisco
7. RF Shin-Soo Choo
8. C Kelly Shoppach
9. 2B Asdrubal Cabrera

That, to me, makes so much sense. Hafner went 0-4 again. Wedge is giving Hafner respect. We talk about doing what is best to help the Cleveland Indians win and then no one seems too concerned with Hafner hitting 4th. The lineup above works just as well, in my opinion. Perhaps it even works better. Having Hafner hit 5th, if he is truly still very off, may be the end of an inning with Francisco leading off the next inning. Then you go to Choo who doesn't ground into many DPs and Shoppach, who is all or nothing and so won't hit into a rally-killer. Then, if you are done again, Cabrera hits with two outs or leads off an inning.

I think this lineup works much better. The only reason not to do it? Wedge is giving Hafner more respect than he deserves...and it is very likely to hurt this team.

Hitting him 5th makes a lot of sense from Hafner saving some face to making the lineup better.

With every game important Hafner shouldn't hit cleanup until he proves he can. Heck, I don't think he should be in the lineup until he proves he can hit.

It could work for Hafner but you are going to cost Choo, who is very effective against RHers, by moving Francisco up a couple of spots. Not sure that makes sense.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby dnosco » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:32 pm

Odds are slim (like 11%) that Choo gets less ABs against the starter if he bats one spot lower in the lineup. I think the forced lefty-righty switching with the help from our switch hitters makes up for Choo moving one spot down. Plus, putting Choo right before Shoppach as he was eliminates double plays, for the most part.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:17 pm

dnosco wrote:Odds are slim (like 11%) that Choo gets less ABs against the starter if he bats one spot lower in the lineup. I think the forced lefty-righty switching with the help from our switch hitters makes up for Choo moving one spot down. Plus, putting Choo right before Shoppach as he was eliminates double plays, for the most part.

Statistically it is indistinguishable from the Hafner move to 5. Same logic applies to both so I can't go along with your thinking about a different set of standards. The rest is opinion and not supported by any stats which is just fine. It is really indifferent performance wise and I can live with all of it for a RH pitcher going for Texas. :s_drinks
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby dnosco » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:10 pm

We are talking about less ABs with Choo (statistically very unlikely), we are talking about more RBI situations with Peralta (statistically much, much more likely). HUGE difference. You don't want Hafner up with two guys on and one out, at least not this early in the season. He hasn't proven anything this spring except that he rolls over a lot of balls he should drive. He, in my mind, at this point is a rally-killer.

As I said, the only reason Hafner bats 4th is because Wedge wants to give him respect. I don't buy that and I don't like it. It ain't going to work, IMHO. Yeah, I and others have been wrong before but EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING says that Hafner is not ready and is either incapable of driving ML pitching any more or is a month or more away from doing it as he needs to get his shoulder stronger and his timing back.

Time will tell who is right on this but, right now, we can't afford to give up games because our cleanup hitter is hitting like an 8th place hitter AND we have other, viable options to fill that spot and other spots right below that spot, if necessary.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby artgold » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:32 pm

You may be right about Hafner, Dennis, and if that is the case I hope the Indians recognize this within the first 10-12 games.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:54 am

dnosco wrote:We are talking about less ABs with Choo (statistically very unlikely), we are talking about more RBI situations with Peralta (statistically much, much more likely). HUGE difference. You don't want Hafner up with two guys on and one out, at least not this early in the season. He hasn't proven anything this spring except that he rolls over a lot of balls he should drive. He, in my mind, at this point is a rally-killer.

As I said, the only reason Hafner bats 4th is because Wedge wants to give him respect. I don't buy that and I don't like it. It ain't going to work, IMHO. Yeah, I and others have been wrong before but EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING says that Hafner is not ready and is either incapable of driving ML pitching any more or is a month or more away from doing it as he needs to get his shoulder stronger and his timing back.

Time will tell who is right on this but, right now, we can't afford to give up games because our cleanup hitter is hitting like an 8th place hitter AND we have other, viable options to fill that spot and other spots right below that spot, if necessary.

Sorry Dennis! There just is not any statistical evidence to support any of this unless you accept the concept of predestination for the game. Other than the first batter, the game becomes a set of random possibility of individual performances in a constantly varying set of circumstances. Predefining circumstance is impossible with the variations. Hafner is just as likely to come to the plate in a situation that you don't like batting either 4th or 5th which was your original proposition. While we can say certain events may occur more frequently in a specific situation, there is no certainty that the situation envisioned will ever exist. I don't necessarily disagree with your concept of Hafner's effectiveness at the plate. You may recall that I said that it was my opinion that the Indians would best be served by putting Hafner on the DL after ST. I amended that somewhat when his performance improved. As I noted, that opinion is reasonable as yours is. Trying to justify that with the use of your statistical presuppositions just does not work though. :s_drinks
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:01 am

artgold wrote:You may be right about Hafner, Dennis, and if that is the case I hope the Indians recognize this within the first 10-12 games.

Recognizing the problem is one thing. What you do about it is quite another. Not sure I have that figured out yet! I suppose shooting him is out of the question so we should look at alternatives. :s_wacko
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:43 am

dnosco wrote:Just a thought:

1. CF Grady Sizemore
2. 3B Mark DeRosa
3. 1B Victor Martinez
4. SS Jhonny Peralta
5. DH Travis Hafner
6. LF Ben Francisco
7. RF Shin-Soo Choo
8. C Kelly Shoppach
9. 2B Asdrubal Cabrera

Not my favorite lineup but like it much better than the one Wedge is trotting out for opening day.

Heck, what about Garko hitting where francisco is (in your lineup) and playing LF? If Wedge 'truly' does like how Garko has played out there, then he should be in the lineup. He's the better all-around bat than Francisco IMHO.

And as I said in the other thread on this subject, I fully believe Peralta should be hitting 4th too. Though I do admit I am probably higher on Peralta than anyone here. I've been a HUGE fan of him ever since he first came up as a 21 year old kid to spell the injured Vizquel. I fully believe he can hit 30 HRs this year and drive in 100 runs (yes, I'm dead serious here).

He is the BEST hitting SS in the AL hands down imo. This is the year that he'll finally get the respect he deserves (ok....that part may not come true unless he hits like 40 HRs).

Back to the Francisco thing.....I'm not a big fan of him....but have no issues if he were to hit in front of Choo as shown here. Choo does hit righties well....but so does Francisco (historically). Wedge used him a bit as a platoon against lefties last year since he did start hitting them well finally....but all through the minors he hit righties much better.

In all honestly though.....the lineup looks exactly as I figured Wedge would make it. I totally disagree in some parts, but Wedge is pretty predictable. Hafner could hit .200 and would remain in the 4-hole I bet. Unless he goes to the DL, Peralta will hit 5th.....which may not be the absolute worst thing.

As I mentioned in the other thread.....maybe this will help Hafner out. Teams may give him better pitches to hit with Peralta and Choo batting 5-6 behind him. They won't want to walk him to give those guys chances to knock him in. Could see a lot more fastballs.

Also....interesting to see where Garko hits on Wednesday (as Victor will catch with Carmona on the hill).....6th, 7th, or 8th? My guess is 7th with Francisco moving down......but 8th wouldn't completely suprise me....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dnosco » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:30 pm

OK, do we all agree, at the moment, that we have a slap hitting guy hitting in the 4 hole? It's great to be a players' manager, it's better just to be a great manager.

Geez!
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:38 pm

yeah makes no sense your playing to win not make friends drop him down a bit by all accounts his swing is slow putting him 4 just hurts this team, then again with the way they have started hitting with men on base its going to be a long first half much like last year
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:23 am

dnosco wrote:OK, do we all agree, at the moment, that we have a slap hitting guy hitting in the 4 hole? It's great to be a players' manager, it's better just to be a great manager.

Geez!

ha, I don't know about 'slap hitter'....but yeah, not a fan of him hitting there (though he has looked better than I thought and actually been on base more than most).

Choo is the guy that looks to high at the moment...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Hafner is an easy target but his OPS after 3 games is higher than most other players. I worry if he will ever get back, like most posters, but my offensive concerns start with our younger corner OFs. None of the three look real good at the plate. If any of these guys would hit as well as Pronk, then i could get more excited about Pronk's shortcomings. But, the way we are pitching, what difference does it make?
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby dnosco » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Look at the stats. Hafner has hit almost every ball to the left side of the field. As a matter of fact I don't know that he has pulled even one ball so far. The guy is either still injured or done. This is not just the timing thing they talked about. This is not the MO of a power hitter just trying to get his timing back. Power hitters don't slap all their contacts around to the opposite field. Again, a use of statistics out of context are why Mark Twain said there are lies, damn lies, then there's statistics.

Bottom line: The guy ought to be moved out of cleanup.

Also, while I agree with you about our young corner OFers, our new thirdbaseman doesn't have a hit yet. However, he is not just slapping at the ball. Like our young corner OFers, who, BTW, are hitting VERY low in the order, DeRosa will hit. Hafner...not so much.

Oh, and when he starts hitting I will be glad to say I was wrong. Not too much chance of that in the near future, however.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:12 pm

dnosco wrote:As a matter of fact I don't know that he has pulled even one ball so far. The guy is either still injured or done. This is not just the timing thing they talked about. This is not the MO of a power hitter just trying to get his timing back. Power hitters don't slap all their contacts around to the opposite field. Again, a use of statistics out of context are why Mark Twain said there are lies, damn lies, then there's statistics.

Did you miss the lazer beam HR to RF today?
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dnosco » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:04 pm

That is a pretty cheap shot. Obviously if I said ALL I had typed before seeing that, having only seen his first 4 ABs.

But, yeah, right on cue he homered to RF. Good, I hope he proves me wrong. But, like the playoffs a couple of years ago against the Red Sox, one linedrive HR to RF doesn't mean the guy is not still done.

Again, if he proves me wrong I am the happiest Indians' fan in the country.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:06 pm

I assumed you missed it Denny.... I was just busting your chops.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dnosco » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:22 pm

Thanks, like I need someone else busting my chops! No, but watching it in replay it was eerily similar to that playoff game in Boston.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:02 am

eh, Hafner has an 'ok' batting line so far (yes, I know it's only 3 games). Only hitting .250 but an OBP of .357 and .500 SLG (for an .857 OPS) isn't 'that' bad (though not what you'd want for $11M).

If he can improve even the slightest bit on that as the year progresses, he'll be a fine cleanup guy. Tribe doesn't have a huge power guy in the lineup anywhere really (unless you want to count Grady....but he has to hit leadoff really). So having a guy like Hafner hitting 4th isn't the worst thing (though I do agree, I'd rather have peralta there, don't get me wrong).

Edgar Martinez made a living (and a damn fine one at that) hitting cleanup, yet only once in his career did he hit 30 HRs.

And I believe it's still VERY premature to call the guy done. 3 real games after surgery is way, WAY too soon to call anyone 'done'.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:40 am

I am NOT trying to bust your chops, Dennis. My view is closer to Hermie but I see improvement from when I watched him in ST for the first time about three weeks ago. At the time, I thought he should go on the DL and said so. I think his pitch recognition is improved along with plate discipline since that time. There is no question that his power, which I attribute to poor timing and being late on many swings, is not anywhere near where anyone would consider Pronk-like. I am much higher than you on the potential ML success of LaPorta and Brantley but I am not ready to replace Pronk with either at this time. The options to replace him completely or move him way down in the order within the existing 25 just doesn't look too appealing to me. I want to reiterate that I am actually asking your opinion. What would you do under these circumstances? Is there a good answer? :s_drinks
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:14 pm

well two big hits today and he sure seemed to turn around quick on that home run
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby dnosco » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:16 pm

Hafner to Nosco: PSYCH!!!!!!!!!!

My point is that he was slapping balls to left field, not what you want a pwoer hitter to do.

But, as I said, his two HRs give a good sign that maybe he is coming back.

BTW, Martinez made a living driving the ball to RC as I remember AND hitting for a very, very high average.

So Hafner after his second HR to RF this season is looking better to me. However, if the guy was even 6-12 and all of them were slap singles to LF I would still bat him further down in the order.

My solution, if he is truly behind or done except for being a slap hitter, is hit him about 7th. If he can't drive the ball (that point is rapidly becoming moot) he shouldn't be hitting cleanup. How much longer, if he is just slapping at the ball, will it be before the league adjusts and starts busting him inside? Once that happens he would be truly done. Let's hope my prediction is just the karma he needs to get going!
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:36 pm

Denny, you are now the official unjinx of the season...... can you please now criticise Sizemore for K'ing too much and Carmona for not throwing strikes? haha
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dnosco » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:41 pm

Sizemore you stink because you K so much

Carmona, you can't throw strikes at all.

Betancourt, you are a wuss that can't throw inside if your life depended on it!
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Thanks Denny!

Much appreciated
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:17 pm

Hey Denny, Save some of your magic for Francisco and Choo! Wherever they are batting, it isn't low enough the way they look at the plate.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:31 pm

After watching todays game, I think that Pronk will serve us well as a cleanup hitter against RH pitching. He appears far closer to being the old Pronk against RHers than LHers. He may get it back against LH pitching as the season goes on. Until then, a little rest against LHers and some downward movement in the order might be in order. The same might be said for Choo as well.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby JP_Frost » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:40 pm

why? Choo has hammered lefties so far this year. Hafner had some ugly swings against lefthanders today, but he also showed a good eye at the plate. The more I see him swing, the more I start to think we are looking at Pronk instead of Hafner.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:51 pm

JP_Frost wrote:why? Choo has hammered lefties so far this year. Hafner had some ugly swings against lefthanders today, but he also showed a good eye at the plate. The more I see him swing, the more I start to think we are looking at Pronk instead of Hafner.

Just like Hafner, I don't like the front shoulder. Hafner makes ugly swings, Pronk doesn't. His eye is pretty good. Likely will be better with more trips to the plate.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:35 pm

Pronk turned on a 96mph fastball today.... all 4 of his XBH (his last 4 hits) have been to RF - 3 of them on fastballs at 92mph+..... His line sits at .300/.417/.800/1.217 through 5 games played.....I'll take that!!!!!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby osueddy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:43 pm

Welcome back Travis...welcome back.
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Postby dnosco » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:50 pm

osueddy wrote:Welcome back Travis...welcome back.

Hey, I want the guy to be back as much as anyone and, to some extent, he appears to be back. I didn't see the first three Ks, all off Purcey, but on the walk he had some really weak swings when they busted him inside. So, for the day, he struck out three times, didn't look good on the walk and hit a laser HR shot to RF. I don't what to make of that but "Welcome back Travis" doesn't appear to be it...at least yet.

Nevertheless, to continue my antijinxness, Hafner is done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:13 pm

Hafer is back. No doubt about it.

Pulled a 96 MPH pitch today for a HR. Pulled a 93 MPH pitch yesterday for a HR.

Bat speed and getting around on anything 88+ last year gave him fits.

This is HUGE for this lineup.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby artgold » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:12 pm

Spring training Hafner looked like a lost guy, even in BP. Season starts and "wham".

Never would have expected it, but that is one of the things that makes the game interesting.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dnosco » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:05 am

If what we are talking about for the HRs is his bat speed and his Ks and weak hits to the left side are just part of him finetuning his process then, indeed, he is back.

If!
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:44 am

man if pronk is back its already one of my top 5 things thusfar in 2009 for me at least
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby npc29 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:14 pm

Not ready to declare him back, but I'll say that last home run made me convinced a little more. It was definitely the most impressive hit he's had so far, and it had what his hits of the past had.

I think he's only going to get better from here as far as his eye and swing go. But the past three games have been very encouraging as far as him being a part of that lineup.

Plus if he keeps showing the ability to kill pitchers like that, he'll get Vic and Peralta better pitches to hit. Peralta has been hitting these past few games but he's really had no one on-base to score on those hits. He needs some RBI chances.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:28 pm

artgold wrote:Spring training Hafner looked like a lost guy, even in BP. Season starts and "wham".

Never would have expected it, but that is one of the things that makes the game interesting.

Yeah, I forgot that he started to look better after you left. I felt the same way until his eye started to improve a couple of days after you left. As I said earlier, I don't think he is back to full "Pronk" but I am not as concerned about the likelihood and time to reach it as I once was. Very promising with all the payroll tied up in the big guy.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:19 am

Yeah, I never thought Hafner looked like a slap hitter, but he's hitting WAY better than I thought he would at this point. Was top 3 in HRs going into yesterday. Could be a battle between himself and Victor for Comeback Player of the Year this year :)
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors