RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Scott Lewis absolutely ROCKED again.....

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Scott Lewis absolutely ROCKED again.....

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:20 pm

I know it's still spring training....but for the second time in as many starts, Scott Lewis has been hit hard.

He gave up 10 earned runs in 3.2 IP.....13 hits and 3 HRs....against the Mariners. 2 of the HRs by Russell Branyan (not that it matters, but I think he's gonna have a big year).

Again....it is spring......but this is getting a tad bit worrisome. Hopefully Lewis can turn things around in his last start before the regular season....or it will be a loooong home opener.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Scott Lewis absolutely ROCKED again.....

Postby jellis » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:47 pm

its spring training no need to worry till then has he had pitched well, ST only matters if your shit the whole time or on fire the whole time
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby dnosco » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:53 pm

Spring or no spring, unless this kid is going through a dead arm period...and that could be the case...he is toast. We don't need to be giving up an automatic loss every 5 games with the rest of our starters as they are currently configured...and performing.

Looking at him recently his dead arm period appears to be from the time he wakes up until when he goes to bed.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:56 pm

he won the job and hasnt pitched well since, its ST and right now he has zero pressure to perform, at this point the games have no value and matter about as much as a 5 year olds whiffle ball game, you know the ones where they dont keep count
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby artgold » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:04 pm

Well, I favor giving him a minimum of a few starts at the beginning of the season, and see if he can be competent at the major league level. Unless he gets really hit, I'd give him a dozen starts and evaluate how he is doing.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby stoike » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:50 pm

10 runs? OUCH!
stoike
Draft Prospect

Postby dnosco » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:15 pm

artgold wrote:Well, I favor giving him a minimum of a few starts at the beginning of the season, and see if he can be competent at the major league level. Unless he gets really hit, I'd give him a dozen starts and evaluate how he is doing.

I think you said the same thing about Jason Johnson, didn't you? :s_wink
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:57 pm

dnosco wrote:Spring or no spring, unless this kid is going through a dead arm period...and that could be the case...he is toast. We don't need to be giving up an automatic loss every 5 games with the rest of our starters as they are currently configured...and performing.

Looking at him recently his dead arm period appears to be from the time he wakes up until when he goes to bed.

Poor Dennis! So much prognostication with so few results to show for it. :s_sad The sky is falling-Chicken little!
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:33 am

I just worry about his reasoning for the poor performance...

He said he couldn't get a good grip on the ball for his breakign pitches, which caused him to throw a lot more fastballs.....yes, that same fastball that doesn't even register 90 on the radar gun.

It's gonna be even worse in Cleveland in April with the cold weather (they are predicting some this Thursday by the way).

It may in deed be a very long opening day if he's not throwing the breaking ball/changeup with better effeciency.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:46 am

Hermie13 wrote:I just worry about his reasoning for the poor performance...

He said he couldn't get a good grip on the ball for his breakign pitches, which caused him to throw a lot more fastballs.....yes, that same fastball that doesn't even register 90 on the radar gun.

It's gonna be even worse in Cleveland in April with the cold weather (they are predicting some this Thursday by the way).

It may in deed be a very long opening day if he's not throwing the breaking ball/changeup with better effeciency.....

I actually think it is potentially worse. He is an Ohio boy and he has thrown in the cold for years. He looks very frustrated with his curve and they appear to be forcing him to throw it. He has hung some beauties in the last two games. That may be the pitch, or one of them, that he is having trouble throwing. If they are pushing him to throw the curve to improve his ML viability in the long run, it could have short term consequences because he has been more comfortable with the slider since the arm problems in Akron. My point is that you don't push the panic button now. Lewis appears to be a thoughtful and focused pitcher who has overcome a lot of adversity to get where he is. It's ST and way too early to be calling man overboard! Do we throw the baby out with the bathwater? Two ST games are not going to make me go drama queen.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:10 am

If Lewis doesn't have his curve though, he's not even a passable ML pitcher really. And much of the damage in yesterday's game (I missed the previous one he pitched) was done on fastballs, not just hanging curves. He wasn't locating that fastball at all.....well, take that back, he was locating it right down broadway a lot unfortunately.

I agree, don't overreact cause of 2 ST starts.....but I never thought he should have gotten the job in the first place. To me, Sowers had the better overall spring. He improved with each start whereas Lewis seemed to digress each start. I felt Sowers showed a great deal of improvement throwing both fastballs more to each hitter. His change still wasn't where it needed to be though.

I also wonder if these performances and Jackson's struggles have anything to do with the Tribe's 'supposive' interest in Hammel and/or Niemann from the Rays......
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors