RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Tigers release Sheffield!!

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Tigers release Sheffield!!

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:33 am

lol, I love it!

According so sources, the Tigers have released Gary Sheffield despite the fact that they owe him $14M this year. :s_rofl

I am NOT saying pick him up, lol. I just wanted to post this as it affects the Tribe (central division rival)....and I can't stand Sheffield, lol.

wow though.....$14M is a LOT to eat, even for the Tigers rich owner.....

And he's 1 HR shy of 500....you'd think they'd have at least tried to get some publicity with that...get some fans to come out to April games wantign to see it.....but guess not :s_sarcastic
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Tigers release Sheffield!!

Postby artgold » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:59 am

Sounds like an alternative to Hafner if he doesn't come around. I understand he wants to play in Florida though.

Frankly, I think he still will do pretty well this season. It is a "contract year", and he has a history of coming through pretty well when looking for a new contract.

I know his performance slope isn't pretty, and kind of classic for his age. Seems to still be able to work the pitcher pretty well, his walk rate is holding up and he has three HRs this spring. His BA is awful, but this is Sheffield in Spring Training.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:13 am

He's 41.....this is likely his last year though.....

I honestly can't see anyway the Tribe signs him. Shapiro/Wedge always talk about how good the team gels and how good the clubhouse is....I can't see them bringing in a guy like Sheffield, who IMO is an even worse teammate to have around than a guy like Bonds.

I'm really not seeing that great fit for him other than maybe the Angels? They could probably use him at DH instead of Rivera.....though with the whole Matthews situation, not sure bringing in another DH/OF (if you can still call him that) is the best move there. Not to mention they are pretty full as is.

Yankees don't have room for him....and he burned bridges there. Red Sox don't have room. Rays don't really either....unless they decide to put Burrell in RF and Sheff at DH.

A's don't have room with Giambi either. White Sox are set with Thome and Quentin/Dye at the cOF spots. Twins are set there as well....

What other contender in the AL is out there? I don't think he'll want to go to a non-contender....

And the NL gets dicey as he's pretty much only a DH now. Phillies would make sense if he'd accept a bench role as they are looking for a right-handed bench bat....but he's almost never play there. Mets could 'maybe' use him in LF......

Giants maybe? He cold play RF/LF possibly there. He did have 9 SBs last year and 22 the year before...so maybe he'll be able to play some OF....but I'm not sure how he'll hold up out there for more than 50 games.....

Some team has to be willing to offer the $400k that it'll take to get him......but if it's not a contender....this may be the end of the line for Sheff.....

His walk rate really wasn't that great last year either. Only 58 walks in over 400 at-bats......down from his near 100 the year before. OBP was only .326 as well.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:26 am

you know....with Upton's injury.....Tampa Bay actually does make a ton of sense for Sheffield now that I think a bit more about it.

He's also from Tampa, FL......
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:22 pm

Be careful what you wish for! Nothing like an ancient clubhouse cancer with an overinflated opinion of his skills to bring a team down as Detroit and the Yankees discovered. Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat mistakes! Let's be thankful Shapiro and company are not thinking the same way!!!! :s_crazy
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:46 pm

Hes a club house cancer whose bat speed has noticablly declined with a history of PED

NO THANKS
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:28 am

indianinkslinger wrote:Be careful what you wish for! Nothing like an ancient clubhouse cancer with an overinflated opinion of his skills to bring a team down as Detroit and the Yankees discovered. Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat mistakes! Let's be thankful Shapiro and company are not thinking the same way!!!! :s_crazy

ha, I don't think even if Shapiro liked bringing in guys like Sheffied we'd have much to worry about....

Let's not forgot about the beating Sheffield took from Carmona last year :s_sarcastic

That would make for a very intersting clubhouse with him, Carmona, Cabrera, and Martinez, lol
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:00 am

Does anybody besides me think the Tigers have totally gone to hell in a handbasket? Has any team ever spent so much for so little? If anyone asks me who the worst run organization is, I am hard pressed to name another than "Le Puddytats".

Oh, I forgot about Team Steroid in Texas. My bad!
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:16 am

indianinkslinger wrote:Does anybody besides me think the Tigers have totally gone to hell in a handbasket? Has any team ever spent so much for so little? If anyone asks me who the worst run organization is, I am hard pressed to name another than "Le Puddytats".

Oh, I forgot about Team Steroid in Texas. My bad!

Yes....the Mariners last year, lol. $100M for 100 losses :s_sarcastic

But yeah, I know what you mean. The sad thing is, it wasn't hard to see coming. Sheffield was fading when they got him....yet gave up some good prospects (though the big one got hurt) and gave him a big extention. Then trade for Cabrera and Willis. Granted the players they gave up having done much of anything yet, and Cabrera has been solid....but Cabrera has been forced to 1B already and likely could be the starting DH in a month or two (with Guillen going from LF to 1B and thames or Anderson taking over LF).

And then there's Willis. It was one thing to get him in the deal....but a whole other thing to give him that big deal. I know he was arbitration eligible.....but still....that was just bad and everyone knew it at the time too.

The Tigers have almost become a mini-Yankee team....vasting overpaying for vets and poor pitching on what they once did......except they aren't overpaying players anywhere close to the talent level of the Yanks....

I honestly will be totally shocked if the Tigers finish higher than last place this year....

One bright spot for them though is Porcello. He looks like what Miller should have been for us.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:20 am

The Tigers have just announced that Porecello has made the rotation and 2008 1st round pick Ryan Perry has made the bullpen.

Some serious talent unquestionably, but a pitching staff that is filled with fungus and a 20-year old who hasn't pitched above A-ball (Porcello) is a scary thought - for Tigers fans!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:34 am

Yeah saw that about Porcello......it'll be intersting to see how he does. Sometimes pitchers making jumps like that do very well since there aren't that great of scouting reports on them......other times they are just overmatched though....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors