RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Indians claim Jae Kuk Ryu off waivers....

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Indians claim Jae Kuk Ryu off waivers....

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:10 pm

The Indians claimed right-hander Jae Kuk Ryu from San Diego today and optioned him to Class AAA Columbus. They moved Jake Westbrook to the 60-day disabled list to make room on the 40-man for him.

I was about to post about the Tribe possibly adding another reliever before opening day....but Shapiro beat me to it, lol.

I was thinking more Royce Ring who was put on waivers by the Cards yesterday since he's a lefty. He's been somewhat decent against lefties in his career.

Not really sure what Ryu provides other than more depth....hasn't done much in the MLs though doesn't have much experience as a reliever....

In any case...could be the dagger for Mujica....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Indians claim Jae Kuk Ryu off waivers....

Postby npc29 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:18 pm

Funny how when I read "could be the dagger for Mujica" he just gave up a home run to Hunter.

The Columbus bullpen is going to be interesting to see depending on what shakes out here in the final days of spring.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:41 pm

Doesn't make any difference to Mujica.

Ryu has been optioned to AAA, so has no chance of making the opening day roster..... if Mujica doesn't make the opening day roster he will be DFA'd..... Ryu will have no bearing on that. If Mujica makes it through waivers the Indians will happily outright him to the minors.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:36 pm

I think Ring wasn't pursued because of the number of lefties the Indians already have slated for AAA, but that is a guess on my part.

From what I read, I think Sipp made enough of an impression to get a call up to Cleveland starting May 1 if there is a need.

As for Ryu being signed, I think it might impact a retention of Mujica in the minors (if he clears waivers).
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:49 am

MadThinker88 wrote:I think Ring wasn't pursued because of the number of lefties the Indians already have slated for AAA, but that is a guess on my part.

From what I read, I think Sipp made enough of an impression to get a call up to Cleveland starting May 1 if there is a need.

As for Ryu being signed, I think it might impact a retention of Mujica in the minors (if he clears waivers).

I thought Ring would of had a shot at the big league club though. Jackson could likely get that spot....but he could still go to AAA. And we have only 2 lefties in AAA (Sipp and Rundles)....would 3 really be that many? I know Edell could end up there too I guess.....but with the lack of lefties at the ML level, I'd rather have a bunch in AAA....but that's just me I guess. I thought a solid lefty setup man should have been at or near the top of the shopping list this winter....

Sipp definitely made an impression, but got off to a slow start cause of some soreness. I think Chulk if he doesnt' make the club will get the first callup since he can opt out by May 15th. But Sipp (along with Salas and Meloan) will be next in line likely.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:52 am

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Doesn't make any difference to Mujica.

Ryu has been optioned to AAA, so has no chance of making the opening day roster..... if Mujica doesn't make the opening day roster he will be DFA'd..... Ryu will have no bearing on that. If Mujica makes it through waivers the Indians will happily outright him to the minors.

I disagree. With Ryu now in AAA it'll be hard to fit Mujica there should he not make the ML roster (which is looking less likely each day).

I also doubt he clears. Yes Marte and Aubrey did.....but it's easier for a team to hide a reliever on a ML club than a corner infielder.

Also....there may be no room in AAA anyways. Meloan, Salas, Ryu, Sipp, Chulk/Jackson, Rundles, and then one more....is it Mujica? Or does Edell get this spot? Or even Herges or possibly Newsom?

I think this move may have been made as a prereq for losing Mujica completely......but maybe not....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors