RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Juan Cruz

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Juan Cruz

Postby dnosco » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:41 pm

The Royals signed him and it will cost them their second round pick, a pick in the low 40s. Not a bad cost and probably a good move but are the Royals in a situation where they are just trying to be respectable? Do they really think they have a team that could win the division?

Heck, maybe they do as most teams have not really gotten stronger this winter.

But, still? They would have to have a lot of luck to get to the playoffs. I would guess they would have been better off spending that $6 million on draft picks by drafting hard to sign guys and kept their second round pick.

But I bet the Diamondbacks are happy they are getting those two extra picks for a setup man.

Just my opinion.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Re: Juan Cruz

Postby jhonny » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:57 am

Baseball Prospectus has the Royals at about a 13% chance to win the division. Throwing 3 million a year at a good setup guy isn't a bad move. I mean, if you want to play this game, how about not spending money on Jose Guillen?
jhonny
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:12 am

They didn't just get Cruz for 2009, they have him in 2010 and an option for 2011. They could be a competing team one of those years if their young guys develop more. Great signign by a team that lost Ramirez to the Red Sox in the CoCo Crisp trade.

And wonder if their will be any speculation on Soria to the rotation now? There was some talk of it before this signing.....Cruz could become a decent closer IMO.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby toledobuck » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:25 pm

It is better that Cruz went to KC than to MINN where he was rumored to be going. MINN desperately needed a good bridge in their relief corp to get to Nathan.
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:19 pm

toledobuck wrote:It is better that Cruz went to KC than to MINN where he was rumored to be going. MINN desperately needed a good bridge in their relief corp to get to Nathan.

yeah they do. Losing Bonser doesn't help either (though he was no sure thing).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TheWord » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Nathan's shoulder problems aren't a big help either.
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:19 pm

TheWord wrote:Nathan's shoulder problems aren't a big help either.

Yeah for real. If I were them I'd be looking at potential trade targets for relievers. They have an overflowing OF at the moment to so they have trade chips.

And still can't believe how many lefties remain unsigned (Ohman, Reyes, Beimel).....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dnosco » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:47 pm

Three years of Cruz are worth a 2nd round pick. MUCH better than the A's giving up their 2nd round pick for one year of Orlando Cabrera.

I forget. Is there still that repeater thing in free agency where a guy who is a free agent two years in a row isn't eligible to get his team free agent compensation after that second year? I know we had Gonzo for one year and he a Type A both years but I don't think we had to give up anything for him so maybe that was why (along with him waiving a clause in his contract) why we were able to get something for him.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:09 am

dnosco wrote:Three years of Cruz are worth a 2nd round pick. MUCH better than the A's giving up their 2nd round pick for one year of Orlando Cabrera.

I forget. Is there still that repeater thing in free agency where a guy who is a free agent two years in a row isn't eligible to get his team free agent compensation after that second year? I know we had Gonzo for one year and he a Type A both years but I don't think we had to give up anything for him so maybe that was why (along with him waiving a clause in his contract) why we were able to get something for him.

eh, if the A's win that division and make the playoffs you could say it was worth it (though I still think the Angels win it)....but I do agree, seems like a bit much to give up for 1 year.

no, there is no such repeater thing in free agency. I know there's been articles up about how certain players would have to perform to get A-status 'again' next year, which implies that they are again up for compensation.

I know Beane got Holliday knowing that he could trade him at the deadline and replace the players lost.....OCab is no Holliday obviously, but if he's having a good year a team could take a chance on him perhaps and give up a 2nd round caliber player. Say Bartlett really struggles this year in TB and Brignac isn't ready......the Rays could easily swing a deal for him (again, though just a thought).

Does seem a bit of an odd move even though Cabrera is an upgrade over Crosby.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors