RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Sizemore pulls out of WBC

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Sizemore pulls out of WBC

Postby npc29 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:42 pm

Grady Sizemore isn't going anywhere, after all.

Sizemore informed the Indians on Friday morning that he will not be representing the U.S. in the World Baseball Classic because of soreness in his left groin. The Indians passed that information along to Bob Watson, MLB's vice president of on-field operations, who then confirmed it with Sizemore.

While the injury is considered mild, Sizemore didn't want to push it in meaningful games. He tested it out by stealing a base in the fourth inning of a Cactus League game against the Diamondbacks on Thursday and didn't feel quite right.

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives ... _ba_1.html

Somewhere, Mark Shapiro is doing a little dance. :s_yahoo
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Re: Sizemore pulls out of WBC

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:43 pm

Pretty sure he's not doing a dance.......a groin injury to your leadoff hitter is never good....

Plus I was kinda interested in seeing Barfield, Brantley, and Crowe in CF more when Sizemore was gone....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby webba2000 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:58 pm

The important thing is that the injury not a bad one and that he'll be fine in few days/weeks.

It's just soreness in his left groin, but may be wise to slow him down.

EDIT:

UPDATE: Sizemore said he's felt the groin soreness for a little over a week. He injured it while fielding fly balls in the outfield. He played in the Indians' first two Cactus games to test it out and felt the soreness after each game. He didn't want to push it any further and risk a more serious injury.
Eric Wedge said Sizemore will be held out of action for "a little while." The exact timetable, of course, will depend on how Sizemore feels. But nobody seems to think this will be a major concern that will affect Sizemore's ability to start the regular season
webba2000
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:29 pm

Martinez just had soreness in his legs for a while.......if a leg muscle injury lingers, it can have very negative effects on a hitter.....

I do agree, doesn't 'sound' like a big deal.....but I definitely wouldn't be dancing and celebrating it....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:37 pm

Well not exactly celebrating, but despite the injury, I'm sure Shapiro is relieved his best player is playing for the Indians this spring and not Team USA.

I personally would have loved for him and DeRosa to do it together so they could at least form some sort of bond. But if he's staying, I don't mind that. I'm sure Wedge will take precaution with him so he's healthy.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby dnosco » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:54 pm

Could he have hurt it when he and Choo collided?
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:03 pm

dnosco wrote:Could he have hurt it when he and Choo collided?

Sounds probable. Sounded like Choo got the worst of it at the time but who knows....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors