Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Spring training games

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Spring training games

Postby dnosco » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:15 pm

First one today so I thought I would start this thread.

Yesterday's intrasquad game was interesting. Huff and Miller throw scoreless innings (a good thing) but a number of our question mark relievers (Betancourt, Meloan, Kobayashi) all get bombed. Barfield and Crowe, two non-HR hitters hit dingers and Hoynes writes, appropriately, about how Crowe muscles up once he smells HR power that doesn't exist in his swing.

Nevertheless, a good sign for the offense. Now if we could just find someone to take on Dellucci's contract we would be good to go with Crowe or Brantley.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Re: Spring training games

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:26 pm

dnosco wrote:First one today so I thought I would start this thread.

Yesterday's intrasquad game was interesting. Huff and Miller throw scoreless innings (a good thing) but a number of our question mark relievers (Betancourt, Meloan, Kobayashi) all get bombed. Barfield and Crowe, two non-HR hitters hit dingers and Hoynes writes, appropriately, about how Crowe muscles up once he smells HR power that doesn't exist in his swing.

Nevertheless, a good sign for the offense. Now if we could just find someone to take on Dellucci's contract we would be good to go with Crowe or Brantley.

eh, as long as Dellucci comes up with one story a week as good or better than the aligator one he's worth keeping around :s_sarcastic

On a more serious note, really looking forward to see how Sowers looks. As most know, still a big fan of him and think he can still be a solid ML pitcher. Let the #5 competition begin!
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:55 pm

Wish I could be home to watch the game live.. Guess I'm stuck to following it online..

Kinda wanna see Santana hit today.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby dnosco » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:06 pm

If you had been home given the in-game box score you wouldn't have seen him hit, only jog to first base (two BBs, nice, but not hitting, actually).
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby webba2000 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:47 pm

Mujica....nice start :s_yahoo
webba2000
Draft Prospect

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:52 pm

Mujica :s_omg
Just when you thought he couldn't do worse :s_laughat :s_hang

Cut him now and let one of the kids get more of an opportunity
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby cardiackidz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:28 pm

the mlb network i believe is showing thursdays game
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller

Postby npc29 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:20 pm

dnosco wrote:If you had been home given the in-game box score you wouldn't have seen him hit, only jog to first base (two BBs, nice, but not hitting, actually).

Haha yep.

I'm watching the replay now.

But you can tell he's taken his game after Victor.. Just the way he stands in the batters box.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby dnosco » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:27 am

Mujica - a better chance to clear waivers every time he pitches.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:56 am

MadThinker88 wrote:Mujica :s_omg
Just when you thought he couldn't do worse :s_laughat :s_hang

Cut him now and let one of the kids get more of an opportunity

ha, c'mon. 1 time out and you want him cut? Guessing that was probably a bit of sarcasm, but still.....

Also.....not sure what 'kids' you're referring too....Mujica is the same age as Meloan, Miller, and Tomlin......and younger than Sipp, Edell, Dixon, Burton, and Newsom.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:31 pm

I had more sarcasm in the Whitney/ playing 3B in Akron this year statement in the other thread.
At this point I think we know what one gets from Mujica and the results a majority of the time are not good.

You correctly point out the chronological age item with other prospects, but those others especially those not on the 40 man roster haven't gotten a shot to show what they can (or can't) do. I think it is time to start finding out.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:11 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:I had more sarcasm in the Whitney/ playing 3B in Akron this year statement in the other thread.
At this point I think we know what one gets from Mujica and the results a majority of the time are not good.

You correctly point out the chronological age item with other prospects, but those others especially those not on the 40 man roster haven't gotten a shot to show what they can (or can't) do. I think it is time to start finding out.

Agree and disagree there. I'd like to see some of those guys get shots (especially Meloan who I really like), but Mujica shouldn't be cast aside just yet. He likely will come opening day.....but he should be given every opportunity and more to prove himself. he's only got 5 weeks since he's out of options......all the other guys have these 5 weeks plus this season to prove themselves....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors