Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

got to love the current market

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

got to love the current market

Postby jellis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:28 pm

Hudson who wanted what 4 years 64 mil today signed for
1 year 3.38 mil
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: got to love the current market

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:06 pm

Unfortunately, it won't last long....but this is nice to see. Outside of the Bankees spending spree, no one else has spent much this offseason.

If there ever was a time to get a handle on the contracts and bring a competitive balance with regards to payroll, now is the time to institute it.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: got to love the current market

Postby jellis » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:56 pm

yeah this is defiantly the team to spend some dough if we could trade delluci his salary would be enough at this point to land a solid LF if any are left
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: got to love the current market

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:44 am

jellis wrote:yeah this is defiantly the team to spend some dough if we could trade delluci his salary would be enough at this point to land a solid LF if any are left


Other than Manny.....there really isn't a LFer out there worth a roster spot, at least free agent wise.

I'm all for trading Dellucci in the right scenario....but right now, just keep him as a decent bench guy (overpaid, but decent). He'll have to come out pretty strong too or he'll likely be cut sometime before the All-Star break.....especially if LaPorta, Crowe, and/or Brantley are playing well in AAA.....


o, and sorry.....but you pointed this out to me SEVERAL times.......there is no 'a' in definitely......
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7096
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: got to love the current market

Postby jellis » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:25 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:yeah this is defiantly the team to spend some dough if we could trade delluci his salary would be enough at this point to land a solid LF if any are left


Other than Manny.....there really isn't a LFer out there worth a roster spot, at least free agent wise.

I'm all for trading Dellucci in the right scenario....but right now, just keep him as a decent bench guy (overpaid, but decent). He'll have to come out pretty strong too or he'll likely be cut sometime before the All-Star break.....especially if LaPorta, Crowe, and/or Brantley are playing well in AAA.....


o, and sorry.....but you pointed this out to me SEVERAL times.......there is no 'a' in definitely......



wasnt me to point out spelling dyslexics never correct spelling because we mess it up too easily, you have to be confusing me with some one else
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: got to love the current market

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:44 pm

jellis wrote:wasnt me to point out spelling dyslexics never correct spelling because we mess it up too easily, you have to be confusing me with some one else


yup, you're right. it was indianslinker (or whatever his name is). My mistake.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7096
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: got to love the current market

Postby jellis » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:15 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:wasnt me to point out spelling dyslexics never correct spelling because we mess it up too easily, you have to be confusing me with some one else


yup, you're right. it was indianslinker (or whatever his name is). My mistake.


yeah I will be the last person to ever correct spelling
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: got to love the current market

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:01 pm

jellis wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:wasnt me to point out spelling dyslexics never correct spelling because we mess it up too easily, you have to be confusing me with some one else


yup, you're right. it was indianslinker (or whatever his name is). My mistake.


yeah I will be the last person to ever correct spelling

Yes, I was one of several to criticise Hermie for his spelling and grammatical errors when he went out of his way to criticise others. I was annoyed that he jumped on you and cited you for "lack of intelligence" for misusing "effect" versus "affect", which is one of the more common usage errors in the English language.

"lol, I never 'criticise' other's spelling.....just grammar (though do find it funny you misspelled criticize just then). Spelling errors are typically the result of just typing too fast; however, grammatically errors are more a sign of lack of intelligence. Had a college professor that drilled grammar into us and turned it into a huge petpeeve of mine."

His poor college professor had a lot of work to do judging from the grammatical and spelling errors in this short paragraph. For the record, Jellis, your spelling sucks and your grammar is not perfect but, while I may disagree with you, I don't think it is because you "lack intelligence". Quite the contrary, actually. Poor Hermie cannot even get it right when he criticises my spelling in error while he was criticising you. That is a pet peeve (notice correct usage) of mine.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: got to love the current market

Postby jellis » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:19 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:
jellis wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:wasnt me to point out spelling dyslexics never correct spelling because we mess it up too easily, you have to be confusing me with some one else


yup, you're right. it was indianslinker (or whatever his name is). My mistake.


yeah I will be the last person to ever correct spelling

Yes, I was one of several to criticise Hermie for his spelling and grammatical errors when he went out of his way to criticise others. I was annoyed that he jumped on you and cited you for "lack of intelligence" for misusing "effect" versus "affect", which is one of the more common usage errors in the English language.

"lol, I never 'criticise' other's spelling.....just grammar (though do find it funny you misspelled criticize just then). Spelling errors are typically the result of just typing too fast; however, grammatically errors are more a sign of lack of intelligence. Had a college professor that drilled grammar into us and turned it into a huge petpeeve of mine."

His poor college professor had a lot of work to do judging from the grammatical and spelling errors in this short paragraph. For the record, Jellis, your spelling sucks and your grammar is not perfect but, while I may disagree with you, I don't think it is because you "lack intelligence". Quite the contrary, actually. Poor Hermie cannot even get it right when he criticises my spelling in error while he was criticising you. That is a pet peeve (notice correct usage) of mine.


no offense taken I know my weakness, and thats why I have my fiance look over everything I write
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: got to love the current market

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:53 am

indianinkslinger wrote:Yes, I was one of several to criticise Hermie for his spelling and grammatical errors when he went out of his way to criticise others. I was annoyed that he jumped on you and cited you for "lack of intelligence" for misusing "effect" versus "affect", which is one of the more common usage errors in the English language.

"lol, I never 'criticise' other's spelling.....just grammar (though do find it funny you misspelled criticize just then). Spelling errors are typically the result of just typing too fast; however, grammatically errors are more a sign of lack of intelligence. Had a college professor that drilled grammar into us and turned it into a huge petpeeve of mine."

His poor college professor had a lot of work to do judging from the grammatical and spelling errors in this short paragraph. For the record, Jellis, your spelling sucks and your grammar is not perfect but, while I may disagree with you, I don't think it is because you "lack intelligence". Quite the contrary, actually. Poor Hermie cannot even get it right when he criticises my spelling in error while he was criticising you. That is a pet peeve (notice correct usage) of mine.


lol. Yeah, I NEVER corrected you til after you repeatedly did for me (and it was always for a slip up in spelling, which was usually a slip of the finger type of thing).

My grammar has been spot on nearly ever time, except for those 'on purpose' times to poke fun at you. Guess that level of irony is just over your head; I do apologize.

ha, I too find it funny when you make grammatical errors once AGAIN when ripping mine. However, unlike with me, I have a feeling yours weren't on purpose since you weren't even able to grasp the concept when I did it. And you didn't 'use' pet peeve correctly any more than I did. I just neglected to hit the spacebar key when typing, good grief.

And you DID criticize my misspelling of 'definately'. I always tend to hit the 'a' key instead of 'i' when typing fast. And again, I NEVER criticized others til after you criticized me for this very thing. You were upset with what I was posting and suggesting for the Indians, and instead of replying about BASEBALL, you attacked my spelling and my intelligence. Had you posted about the Indians and why you disagreed with my feelings about the team, I'd have NO problem with you. It's the fact that you repeatedly just pointed to other peoples posts and attacked my spelling, which is pretty sad on boards like these. :s_empathy



Anyway, back to BASEBALL.....


Everyone see that Odalis Perez was released? Not suggesting the Tribe go after him (we don't need another back of the rotation lefty, lol).....but wow. In this market, how dumb can you be to tick off your team enough to get released before spring training games even get underway.....

I know he was mad with his deal.....but HE agreed to it with his agent. And the money wasn't terrible for the market. I think he'll be hard pressed to get another deal of equal value before the season starts......

The did seem like for a guy with an ERA under 4.5 and 30 starts.....but when more proven guys like Garland are getting less than $5M guaranteed......you really should take what you're given....
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7096
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: got to love the current market

Postby jellis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:28 pm

perez is a jerk, he refused to show up after he signed that contract. No thanks
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: got to love the current market

Postby npc29 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:45 pm

I'm crazy confused why he refused to report with that deal. He won't get anything better anywhere else, and it's Washington, he has a chance to make the roster.
npc29
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:59 pm
Location: Kent, OH

Re: got to love the current market

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:14 am

Yeah....he didn't pitch that poorly last year though.....and he probably saw Pavano and Hampton get guaranteed money and was POed he didn't......but it is his own fault for agreeing to the deal in the first place.

Should look at Shawn Chacon though and realize that ticking off a GM/organization like that may be the way to get out of a deal, but definitely not the way to get anther one....
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7096
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH


Return to Beyond The Minors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest