Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

New Name into the mix

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

New Name into the mix

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:21 pm

Didn't notice this listed elsewhere.
The Tribe signed Tony Graffanino to a minor league deal with an invite to Spring Training.

I have to wonder if he is a dark horse for the final roster spot or more of a vet presense for down in Columbus to help out with Wes Hodges and Luis Valbuena.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Re: New Name into the mix

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:06 am

MadThinker88 wrote:Didn't notice this listed elsewhere.
The Tribe signed Tony Graffanino to a minor league deal with an invite to Spring Training.

I have to wonder if he is a dark horse for the final roster spot or more of a vet presense for down in Columbus to help out with Wes Hodges and Luis Valbuena.

Love this signing. Actually said the Tribe should do this about 3 month ago. He showed some pop in 2007 before blowing out the knee (9 HRs in 231 at-bats). He'd make a great bench guy should the need arise.

I'm sure he'll have a 'shot' at winning the last roster spot out of camp....but more likely will head to Columbus. A good depth guy to have in case of an injury or if Cabrera struggles again.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:48 pm

Likely a dark horse candidate for the final bench spot in Cleveland....outside of that I don't see him sticking, even with Columbus. They have two better middle infield options in Merchan and Valdez that are better.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:02 pm

Consigliere wrote:Likely a dark horse candidate for the final bench spot in Cleveland....outside of that I don't see him sticking, even with Columbus. They have two better middle infield options in Merchan and Valdez that are better.

Merchan might be better.....Valdez, no. Couldn't even handle the Japanese league last year. If he was younger I'd say he'd be better to keep around in Columbus, but neither Merchan nor Valdez is that young (though younger than Graffanino).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors