RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Griffey goes to the Mariners. Goes in the HOF AS a Mariner?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Griffey goes to the Mariners. Goes in the HOF AS a Mariner?

Postby dnosco » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:03 pm

Would he have gone in as a Mariner anyway? I don't know but I hope that the club has a 2nd year option if he can keep playing at any reasonable level. That second year would probably clinch his going in as a Mariner.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Re: Griffey goes to the Mariners. Goes in the HOF AS a Mariner?

Postby GhostofTedCox » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:29 pm

Absolutely as an M. AL MVP, AL All Star. I think he averaged only 105 games a year as a Red.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:32 pm

I hope he does
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:34 pm

Guess one can go home again....
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dnosco » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:15 am

Father was a Cincinnati Red lifer (or almost), though. Before this deal, I am not so sure it was cut and dry. In my opinion now it is. Hmmmm.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:00 am

MadThinker88 wrote:Guess one can go home again....

ha, are you hinting at something there? ;)

I think it was pretty debatable what he'd have gone in as before. He didn't exactly leave Seattle on the best of terms and as mentioned, his father was a Cincy guy (though not a lifer) and Griffey actually went to high school in Cincy.

But his best days were in Seattle....going back could do him some good, especially since he'll be able to DH some there. I think he'll have a pretty solid year in fact.

That is IF he actually signs with the Mariners. Reports are saying it's not a done deal and that Griffey himself hasn't heard anything about a signing yet......

but does sound close....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:27 pm

When I think of Junior, I think of him as a Seattle Mariner. Or at least that's what I think I will remember him as 10 years from now, not an injury-prone right fielder for the Cincinnati Reds.

If anything, he should go in as a Mariner for that reason.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:52 pm

npc29 wrote:When I think of Junior, I think of him as a Seattle Mariner. Or at least that's what I think I will remember him as 10 years from now, not an injury-prone right fielder for the Cincinnati Reds.

If anything, he should go in as a Mariner for that reason.

I will agree with you on that one. I always think of him as a Mariner
Last edited by MadThinker88 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby twdelaney34 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:05 am

I think this topic is overthought by a lot of people. Whatever his father may have been or however long his tenure was with the Reds has no impact on what cap Junior would wear in the Hall. Never a question, not even close to being in doubt, he was/is/will go in as an M. No doubt. Didn't distinguish himself any further in Cinci.
twdelaney34
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby cardiackidz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:18 pm

i think he should go into the hall with a cincinnati cap on. but i dont want the the letter C to represent cincinnati it should represent cry baby. thats all he did in a reds uniform was cry about everything. marty brennaman should have bitch slapped him when he had the chance.
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:11 am

twdelaney34 wrote:I think this topic is overthought by a lot of people. Whatever his father may have been or however long his tenure was with the Reds has no impact on what cap Junior would wear in the Hall. Never a question, not even close to being in doubt, he was/is/will go in as an M. No doubt. Didn't distinguish himself any further in Cinci.

Doesn't matter where he played better. The final decision is up to the player, and Griffey could easily still choose the Reds as his cap, especially if he doesn't return to the Mariners and signs with the Braves here.....

I do think in the end he'll go in as a Mariner....but we'll see....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:54 am

Hermie13 wrote:Doesn't matter where he played better. The final decision is up to the player, and Griffey could easily still choose the Reds as his cap, especially if he doesn't return to the Mariners and signs with the Braves here.....

No, it's not. Remember several years ago when Wade Boggs tried to sell to TB which hat he'd wear when he went in?

It's up to either MLB or the HOF, not the player.

He will go in as an Mariner, without any debate. That's pretty much a no-brainer.
WiscTribeFan
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:04 am

WiscTribeFan wrote:No, it's not. Remember several years ago when Wade Boggs tried to sell to TB which hat he'd wear when he went in?

He will go in as an Mariner, without any debate. That's pretty much a no-brainer.

Not exactly. 99% of the time it's up to the player, and the Hall of Fame (and MLB) yield to the wishes of the player.

However, ML baseball can step in for certian situations such as the Boggs situation.....they actually changed their policy a bit for Boggs. They always let the player decide, but there were reports that Boggs accepted money from the Rays to choose their cap. The Hall stepped in (as it should have) and gave him a Red Sox cap.

In a situation like Griffey where he played so long for the Reds, I highly doubt they'd step in and prevent him from choosing to go in as a Red if that's what he chose......though I don't think he actually would. Still at least 6-7 years away from really mattering though....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dnosco » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:06 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
WiscTribeFan wrote:No, it's not. Remember several years ago when Wade Boggs tried to sell to TB which hat he'd wear when he went in?

Not exactly. 99% of the time it's up to the player, and the Hall of Fame (and MLB) yield to the wishes of the player.

However, ML baseball can step in for certian situations such as the Boggs situation.....they actually changed their policy a bit for Boggs. They always let the player decide, but there were reports that Boggs accepted money from the Rays to choose their cap. The Hall stepped in (as it should have) and gave him a Red Sox cap.

In a situation like Griffey where he played so long for the Reds, I highly doubt they'd step in and prevent him from choosing to go in as a Red if that's what he chose......though I don't think he actually would. Still at least 6-7 years away from really mattering though....

Exactly!
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Return to Beyond The Minors