Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

SI Fantasy Sleepers

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

SI Fantasy Sleepers

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:51 am

SI.com did a piece on some fantasy sleepers......they listed Pavano, here it is:

Carl Pavano, SP, Indians: I feel obligated to write this seeing as a good friend of mine/fellow fantasy geek was giddy as a school girl over the Pavano signing. And true, there's a lot to like here if Pavano stays healthy (a big if, I know). The last two years were a wash because of elbow troubles. But go back to the old rule of thumb: A pitcher isn't 100 percent recovered from Tommy John surgery until his second full season back. This year will be his second full season back. Pavano is only 33, so his arm should have something left. And the last time he was remotely healthy, in '05, Pavano posted solid K-to-BB (3.11) and groundball-to-flyball (1.61) ratios, better indicators than his high ERA (4.77), courtesy of a flukishly high HR-per-flyball percentage (15.6 percent, as opposed to the A.L. average of 10.1 percent that season). And you'd have to think that escaping the negativity of his Yankee tenure will give him a psychological boost. Considering the run support the Indians could provide, Povano could be in for a big comeback season.

Been a slow few weeks now, so figured it's something work mentioning (even if Fantasy Baseball means nothing in the long run). Our ole pal Coco Crisp was also mentioned in the article, as was another former Indian Russell Branyan......

Link for those who want it:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/fantasy/01/21/sleepers/index.html
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: SI Fantasy Sleepers

Postby dnosco » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks for posting this.

Interestingly, there are about a half dozen veteran starting pitchers signed to minor league or low outlay, high incentive major league deals who are more likely to convert for fantasy leaguers than Pavano. I think, as he said, he was just cherry picking Pavano.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Re: SI Fantasy Sleepers

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:43 pm

Yeah, if he's fully healthy, I'd probably have gone with Freddy Garcia over Pavano......but I do get the guy's logic for picking Pavano. he may not do it pretty...but I could see him winning 15 games, which for fantasy purposes would be nice....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors