Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Aquino, Saarloos, Chulk, Cassel, Herges, Ohka

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Aquino, Saarloos, Chulk, Cassel, Herges, Ohka

Postby Jake Taylor » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:45 pm

I don't know how else to put this... What do you think our plans our for these six? That's a lot of names to find their way into an already crowed bullpen / rotation at either Columbus or potentially Cleveland. I honestly can't see any of the aforementioned sticking in Cleveland with the names we already have up there, unless we kick Mujica to the curb. I can't imagine the club is planning on keeping more than 2-3 of these guys even with our AAA-affiliate.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Re: Aquino, Saarloos, Chulk, Cassel, Herges, Ohka

Postby Jake Taylor » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:47 pm

I apologize if this should be in prospect talk. Not really sure, as they're not prospects, even though they did sign Minor League deals.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:10 am

I am not sure these guys are prospects by any stretch but you bring up a real good point. I asked TL on the front page if this could be considered negative health information on Reyes, Laffey and Sipp. He replied that to his knowledge both Reyes and Laffey are healthy and Sipp is still up in the air(my paraphrase). Now, I can see some benefit if the Indians intend to clear out some of the lesser prospects from Buffalo. Only Huff and the former MLers are the type of quality that are likely to make it in Cleveland as starters. Hermann and Edell are borderline. I suspect Miller or Meloan is slated for Cleveland, health permitting. If they have a plan to make any of these prospects, good and bad, available in trade, then that seems the most likely scenario to me. I don't envy Tony trying to update the minors' listing with the oversupply of pitchers or without a crystal ball. :s_scratchhead
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:20 am

Like I've said before, if the Tribe's past is any indication of what they'll do....Mujica will make this team since he's out of options leaving Miller and Meloan in AAA to start the year. BUT he'll have to perform early or he'll likely to get canned just like Cabrera and Davis were 2 years ago. Tribe tends to like to give last chances to players (even multiple last chances in Marte's case). Not saying this is necessarily the right move.....just one that is consistent with how the Tribe has operated the last few years under Shapiro/Wedge.....

As far as all the minor league invitees......I'm not really looking that much into them. Remember that the Tribe cut Fultz last year before the leaving ST because he was performign so bad and he was guaranteed $1.5M. None of these guys have guaranteed big league deals, so cutting them in ST doesn't cost us anything really. And if they pan out, well all the better. Rundles showed a lot last year and some of the guys we've added really aren't much older than he is. Could find a diamond in the rough potentially. Saarloos has shown some success as a starter in the AL (2005 was a decent #5). Should't come to that, but you never know. We ended up having to go to Jason Stanford in 2007 for a lil while thanks to injuries. Hasn't really done anything since but did well as a stopgap. Vinnie Chulk the last 2 seasons in the MLs has had WHIPs of 1.26 and 1.29....not good by any means but not God-awful terrible. As a 7th reliever he could be half-way decent (plus I get the feelign that Kobayashi may be on a short lease this year). Herges was great in 2007 (ERA under 3 and WHIP of 1.01) for the NL pennant winning Rockies. Was pretty bad last year....but if he can rebound, he'll be a steal as well.

All these guys come with no risk. Only negative you can say is that it crowds the Columbus pitching staff....but again, I'm not sure all these guys make it out of camp with the Indians organization.....but you never know I guess.....Plus we haven't made it out of a ST in the last couple years without some key injuries to the pitchign staff.....always nice to have some backup options.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors