RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

14 Indians in WBC

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

14 Indians in WBC

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:52 pm

USA - Sizemore, DeRosa
Dominican Republic - Peralta, Carmona, Perez
Japan - Kobayashi
Korea - Choo
Venezuela - Betancourt
Panama - Cumberbatch, D. Espino, P. Espino
Chinese Taipai - Lee, Tseng
Canada - Weglarz

Good luck to all. But I hope Carmona doesn't get over extended.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: 14 Indians in WBC

Postby dnosco » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:10 am

Carmona and Perez on this list are concerning to me. Ditto for our minor league pitchers. No good came out of it for pitchers who pitched in the WBC last time around and, somehow, I don't see that changing this time out.

I'm looking to sign another starter if I am the Indians as, whereas Carmona was simply a question mark before, now he becomes a bigger, if not huge, question mark. Perez goes for being solid to being a small question mark.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:13 am

The Indians have no say in whether Perez pitches or not unfortunately. However, I do believe they could have stopped Carmona from pitching.

I think the only way a team can stop a player from participating is if he spent 45 or more days on the DL the previous season. Was Carmona on the DL that long?? Without looking, I'd guess he probably was, so personally I think the Indians are best off holding him back.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:52 am

Betancourt is VERY concerning to me too. Got off to a terrible start last year, this will only complicate things. He needed to come into camp and work hard to get back to 2007 form (or at least close to it). He also ended up on the DL at the end of April with a strained muscle in 2006 after pitching in the WBC....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dnosco » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:01 am

You know, Betancourt was a real enigma last year. He was downright filthy in the pre-season game in Atlanta. I mean, the announcers were saying the hitters had no chance. Then the opening gun goes off and he tanks. Was it just mental? Who knows. Maybe the WBC actually helps Betancourt a little as it revs him up before the season so he hits the ground running. Not that I am for it but that is why they give guys some time in the winter leagues, to polish their act and get it together.

You know, I might leave some of these guys in extended spring training for a week or two. You could start with Carmona as your #5 starter or something and give other guys some innings in the bullpen. Don't know, just an idea, although going into the season without your whole roster when you aren't doing it because guys are on the DL is a little crazy, I admit.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:22 am

One good thing going for Carmona is there are 4 other starters on the Dominican roster: Pedro Martinez, Ervin Santana, Johnny Cueto, and Edison Volquez. Carmona could easily be considered as the 4th starter out that group, and possibly 5th if the manager decides for experience (Pedro) over youth. I think Carmona is better than Cueto....but Cueto had the better year in 2008. There's a chance even that when final cuts come down, Carmona is left off....or in the pen.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors