RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Garko to play some OF in spring training

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Garko to play some OF in spring training

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:25 pm

According to Eric Wedge, the Indians are gonna have both Ryan Garko (and Josh Barfield) taking reps with the outfielders during spring training. The thought is to get Garko into the lineup even when Victor is playing 1B and Shoppach is catching.

Obviously this may not work out.....but we are the same organization that went with Richie Sexon, Ben Broussard, and Russell Branyan in the OF at times. Garko may be the least athletic of them all....but if he works at it and stays in shape could work out for 10-15 games in LF in 2009.

Here's the link: http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090116&content_id=3746728&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Definitely a novel idea. And one that shows the Tribe still likes what Garko does offensively.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Garko to play some OF in spring training

Postby jellis » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:43 pm

might as well give guys more versatility
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Garko to play some OF in spring training

Postby npc29 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:53 pm

I start laughing every time I get the image of Garko in the outfield. That's not to say he'd be awful, just amusing. Maybe a more athletic Jack Cust.

If that's even possible?
npc29
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:59 pm
Location: Kent, OH

Re: Garko to play some OF in spring training

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:01 am

Hermie13 wrote:According to Eric Wedge, the Indians are gonna have both Ryan Garko (and Josh Barfield) taking reps with the outfielders during spring training. The thought is to get Garko into the lineup even when Victor is playing 1B and Shoppach is catching.

Obviously this may not work out.....but we are the same organization that went with Richie Sexon, Ben Broussard, and Russell Branyan in the OF at times. Garko may be the least athletic of them all....but if he works at it and stays in shape could work out for 10-15 games in LF in 2009.

Here's the link: http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090116&content_id=3746728&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Definitely a novel idea. And one that shows the Tribe still likes what Garko does offensively.....


You must not have read what Shapiro said. They are unhappy with Garko's offense. Put lipstick on a pig and it is still a pig. Real career boosters for both, except that is only on planet hermie! :s_empathy
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: Garko to play some OF in spring training

Postby toledobuck » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

there is no way Garko can transition to the OF. He is a 1B / DH all the way.
toledobuck
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Garko to play some OF in spring training

Postby carnegie44115 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:20 pm

Yeah Garko, maybe he could be able to play the OF in a pinch, Barfield on the other hand should be able to at least handle LF and would be serviceable to the team as a back-up 2B and LF.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:12 pm

Re: Garko to play some OF in spring training

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:14 pm

carnegie44115 wrote:Yeah Garko, maybe he could be able to play the OF in a pinch, Barfield on the other hand should be able to at least handle LF and would be serviceable to the team as a back-up 2B and LF.

With the way the roster is going, I think there might be a place for Barfield as the 25th man and DPR. He is a natural to be shunted to Columbus when the team needs a short term/long term replacement/add-on player. Other than his running ability, the Indians won't lose a thing.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: Garko to play some OF in spring training

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:57 am

indianinkslinger wrote:You must not have read what Shapiro said. They are unhappy with Garko's offense. Put lipstick on a pig and it is still a pig. Real career boosters for both, except that is only on planet hermie! :s_empathy


Tribe wouldn't move Garko to the OF if they hated his offense. And if they're unhappy with Garko's offense, they should be unhappy with pratically everyone else's too as he was our best hitter in the 2nd half.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Garko to play some OF in spring training

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:00 am

As far as Barfield goes, the Padres almost moved him to the OF when he was still in the minors because his defense was so bad at 2B. He ended up improving greatly though and stuck with the position, but at least shows that other talent advisors felt he could make the move.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH


Return to Beyond The Minors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron