Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Indians sign Vinnie Chulk

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Indians sign Vinnie Chulk

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:09 am

Goodyear AZ will be crowded. The Indians signed Vinnie Chulk to a minor league contract and a spring training invitation. He had 27 appearances for the Giants last season.
He can opt out of his contract if he's not on the big club by May 15th. I don't know if he has a big arm, but he obviously has a big set of something else. :s_laughat
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Indians sign Vinnie Chulk

Postby carnegie44115 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:40 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:Goodyear AZ will be crowded. The Indians signed Vinnie Chulk to a minor league contract and a spring training invitation. He had 27 appearances for the Giants last season.
He can opt out of his contract if he's not on the big club by May 15th. I don't know if he has a big arm, but he obviously has a big set of something else. :s_laughat

I think this signing is more significant than the Aquino or Sarloos signings. This guy has had a few decent years, at least in comparison to Ed Mujica who is probably the fore runner in the 7th man spot in the bully right now. I am getting this idea off of Castrovince, after reading his article earlier on the Indians site. With the aforementioned opt-out clause, this has to be a Shaprio move in the making in trying to find a diamond in the rough player. I think the Indians want to give Mujica the last chance, but if they bring in a guy that out pitches him, they have the ability to make the move.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby cardiackidz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:03 am

he's terrible
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:54 am

He's not 'terrible'. ERA is nothing special but that's a pointless stat for relievers. Throughout his career has been decent against righties (they hit under .240 off him). As a 7th reliever making league minimum, he'd be a good addition to anyone's pen.

I agree with carnegie. I bet Mujica gets the last bullpen spot.....but he'll have to have a very nice April if he wants to stick around.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors