RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Indians sign Vinnie Chulk

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Indians sign Vinnie Chulk

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:09 am

Goodyear AZ will be crowded. The Indians signed Vinnie Chulk to a minor league contract and a spring training invitation. He had 27 appearances for the Giants last season.
He can opt out of his contract if he's not on the big club by May 15th. I don't know if he has a big arm, but he obviously has a big set of something else. :s_laughat
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Indians sign Vinnie Chulk

Postby carnegie44115 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:40 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:Goodyear AZ will be crowded. The Indians signed Vinnie Chulk to a minor league contract and a spring training invitation. He had 27 appearances for the Giants last season.
He can opt out of his contract if he's not on the big club by May 15th. I don't know if he has a big arm, but he obviously has a big set of something else. :s_laughat

I think this signing is more significant than the Aquino or Sarloos signings. This guy has had a few decent years, at least in comparison to Ed Mujica who is probably the fore runner in the 7th man spot in the bully right now. I am getting this idea off of Castrovince, after reading his article earlier on the Indians site. With the aforementioned opt-out clause, this has to be a Shaprio move in the making in trying to find a diamond in the rough player. I think the Indians want to give Mujica the last chance, but if they bring in a guy that out pitches him, they have the ability to make the move.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby cardiackidz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:03 am

he's terrible
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:54 am

He's not 'terrible'. ERA is nothing special but that's a pointless stat for relievers. Throughout his career has been decent against righties (they hit under .240 off him). As a 7th reliever making league minimum, he'd be a good addition to anyone's pen.

I agree with carnegie. I bet Mujica gets the last bullpen spot.....but he'll have to have a very nice April if he wants to stick around.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors